Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Super Fund is good in Australia?

Which Super Fund is good in Australia?

Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice
Default Which Super Fund is good in Australia?

Hi there,

I would like to know which Super Fund is the best and charges less fees etc.

My previous employer had opened my Super Funds account with 'MLC' and they are charging me a fee:

Administrative fee (1.3%) + Investment fee (1.7%) per year.

I will be starting my new employment next week. And they're with 'AMP Flexible Lifetime Super'. And they've given me the choice to choose any Super Funds. MLC or AMP or any other good Super Funds in Australia.

Could you recommend a good Super Funds in Australia?

Thank you!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:48 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Super Fund is good in Australia?

Originally Posted by live2learn
Hi there,

I would like to know which Super Fund is the best and charges less fees etc.

My previous employer had opened my Super Funds account with 'MLC' and they are charging me a fee:

Administrative fee (1.3%) + Investment fee (1.7%) per year.

I will be starting my new employment next week. And they're with 'AMP Flexible Lifetime Super'. And they've given me the choice to choose any Super Funds. MLC or AMP or any other good Super Funds in Australia.

Could you recommend a good Super Funds in Australia?

Thank you!
Dangerous ground probably giving out this sort of advice but....Vison Super was, last time I looked, one of the most consistent well performing funds. Not sure about charges with them. My wife is with them as she was working for the govt.

I am with AMP Flexible life time...it does quite well although there are charges.

The supposed benefit of paying charges is that you are paying a professional to manage your funds for you.

One thing I can mention, stick $1,000 after tax contribution in each year the govt. will match it. That is a VERY good return on any investment.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice

so you feel that MLC is charging economical with what the market rate is?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:54 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

so you feel that MLC is charging economical with what the market rate is?
I think 2% ought to be tops. The sharemarket is falling at the moment (or it was yesterday!) But buying cheap is the way to go I feel, so that you have more units when values go up again.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I think 2% ought to be tops. The sharemarket is falling at the moment (or it was yesterday!) But buying cheap is the way to go I feel, so that you have more units when values go up again.
MLC is charging me an investment fee of 1.7%/year ... does this fee sound reasonable?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

MLC is charging me an investment fee of 1.7%/year ... does this fee sound reasonable?
AMP can be one of the most expensive.

Sun Super used to pretty much mirror AMP but with lower fees.

Basically you get "free" financial help from AMP and pay for it whether you use it or not.

With Sun you only pay a fee if you want something.

I'm a bit out of date with all this but take a look at Industry funds too. I think they are the cheapest fee wise.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:55 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of reading for you which is always good for confusing

http://www.moneysmart.gov.au/superan...and-retirement

http://www.chantwest.com.au/cwPublic...MenuItemID=424

http://www.industrysuper.com/

http://www.selectingsuper.com.au/
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix
AMP can be one of the most expensive.

Sun Super used to pretty much mirror AMP but with lower fees.

Basically you get "free" financial help from AMP and pay for it whether you use it or not.

With Sun you only pay a fee if you want something.

I'm a bit out of date with all this but take a look at Industry funds too. I think they are the cheapest fee wise.
i guess i am better off staying with MLC plus, if i move out there will be exit fees and other headaches.

One way or the other we get the returns and benefits of what we pay.

i know there used to be a website called:

http://www.superchoice.gov.au/

where we could choose which super is best but site doesn't seen to work any more... do they have a new one?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:07 am
Bix
da Bonehead

i know there used to be a website called:

http://www.superchoice.gov.au/

where we could choose which super is best but site doesn't seen to work any more... do they have a new one?
Something like in this one perhaps?

http://www.selectingsuper.com.au/Top_Ten_Funds.html
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

I spent about 4 hours reviewing AMP products the other night as my company defaults to them as well. Their products rarely rate in the top 20 of the index of comparable funds. In fact the standard one my company puts you in was something like 167/220 over 5 years

Do plenty of research.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I spent about 4 hours reviewing AMP products the other night as my company defaults to them as well. Their products rarely rate in the top 20 of the index of comparable funds. In fact the standard one my company puts you in was something like 167/220 over 5 years

Do plenty of research.
My case is similar to yours, the company I will be working for is with AMP.

some companies charge less in one area and more in the other.

So what have you heard about MLC are they any good?
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:09 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Dangerous ground probably giving out this sort of advice but....Vison Super was, last time I looked, one of the most consistent well performing funds. Not sure about charges with them. My wife is with them as she was working for the govt.

I am with AMP Flexible life time...it does quite well although there are charges.

The supposed benefit of paying charges is that you are paying a professional to manage your funds for you.

One thing I can mention, stick $1,000 after tax contribution in each year the govt. will match it. That is a VERY good return on any investment.
Thanks, and it's also a very good tip. :sunglasses: Does the super fund usually remind policyholders at the appropriate time or can it be done at any stage during the year?

Last edited by paulry; Nov 20th 2011 at 4:11 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:37 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
True, but you only get that if you earn less than $31,920 a year.

http://www.ato.gov.au/super/content....age=3#P34_3099
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:20 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
True, but you only get that if you earn less than $31,920 a year.

http://www.ato.gov.au/super/content....age=3#P34_3099

So, $61,920 is considered a higher income? Yikes...

S
Old Nov 20th 2011, 10:44 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
So, $61,920 is considered a higher income? Yikes...
S
The key word is "higher" not "high". The $1000 govt. co-contribution is aimed at lower income earners.

Here are some interesting stats about median incomes in Australia (where the overall median income is $66,820).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_...nd_New_Zealand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.