Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast - Work

Sunshine Coast - Work

Old Feb 20th 2007, 3:30 am
Just Joined

willishenno is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Sunshine Coast - Work

We have been in Caloundra for nearly a month and are really struggling to find work and considering jacking it in and moving to Perth, where we have a lot of friends and seemingly better work prospects. Anyone else had problems getting work on Sunshine Coast?
Old Feb 20th 2007, 3:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunshine Coast - Work

what sort of work?
Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willishenno
We have been in Caloundra for nearly a month and are really struggling to find work and considering jacking it in and moving to Perth, where we have a lot of friends and seemingly better work prospects. Anyone else had problems getting work on Sunshine Coast?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=pegleg

Keep trying, you have to do a lot of cold calling here, flick through the yellow pages!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

What do you do???..looking for??
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:41 am
Just Joined

willishenno is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Sunshine Coast - Work

The past few years I worked for a solicitor, doing his admin and accounts. Before that I was a project manager for a computer firm. Have tried a couple of agencies here but they don't have much work either. Basically applying for anything in admin/reception.

I have one friend here and he is skilled, has applied for 60 jobs and been rejected. With 3 kids, he can't afford to keep going and so he is moving on.

I thought Sunshine Coast was a booming area - yet to see any booming!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:48 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

If it were easy to find decent work on the Sunny coast every man and his dog would be living there. It wouldn't even be the same place.

It may take a while to find work, but once you do you've got it made.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

We have been here a year (nearly)OH found a job in the first month , but took me nearly 4 to get a job (engineering)and was seriously thinking of moving to Brisie.OH quit her job (telemarketing) about 5 months back and has stuggled to get work.I would stick at it a bit longer and as has been said before lots of cold calling , dropping your resume in and generally being a pain in the ass.It got me there in the end and i think this place is worth it.Good luck.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
If it were easy to find decent work on the Sunny coast every man and his dog would be living there. It wouldn't even be the same place.

It may take a while to find work, but once you do you've got it made.
You're so right.

People should ask themselves why housing is so affordable in such a beautiful, scenic area close to those perfect beaches.

Because there's very little work available, that's why!

If the Sunshine Coast had every available work opportunity, it wouldn't be the Sunshine Coast - it would have turned into the Queensland equivalent of Sydney long ago.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Affordable housing??
The houses cost the same or more here than they do in Brisbane. The wages are low so I have no idea how young people get on the housing ladder.

As to getting work, as previous poster said, hassle lots of people, hand out lots of resume's and make loads of phone calls.

This is the nicest area in Australia and the best things are worth waiting for :-))
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Sunshine Coast - Work

The worst thing about the Sunny Coast is lack of work. Tradies tend to do ok but in most other areas it is pretty hard to get a job quickly.

It really is just a seaside town with loads of houses, there is little industry or employment opportunities unless you work in hospitality or retail.The place might be booming house building wise but most of this has been caused by cashed up Sydneysiders and Victorians retiring there. Not many people move there with work! If you can afford to stick at it it will be worth the wait.

We moved to the Gold Coast for this very reason. Why not try there instead of Perth it is a lot closer and the Northern or Southern ends are almost as beautiful.

Good luck.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Seems a familiar story in this part of the world.

I've been on the Sunshine Coast now for almost eight months, but I wanted to get the children settled into school before starting work, so I only really started thinking about getting a job a couple of months ago (my OH had a job to come to). As an experienced commercial property lawyer I thought I might not have too much difficulty finding work as there is so much property development going on (and quite a lot of legal jobs advertised on SEEK etc). The problem is that my experience is in the UK not Queensland (so it will take a bit of time for me to get up to speed with the way things are done here) and most law firms aren't interested unless you can hit the ground running.

The advice I've received is to cold call, send my resume to all and sundry and, most important of all, network. It seems that most people get jobs based on who they know, not what they know (unless it is government/public sector). So you never know when a casual conversation might lead to something....Here's hoping.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Famous 5

I've been on the Sunshine Coast now for almost eight months, but I wanted to get the children settled into school before starting work, so I only really started thinking about getting a job a couple of months ago (my OH had a job to come to). As an experienced commercial property lawyer I thought I might not have too much difficulty finding work as there is so much property development going on (and quite a lot of legal jobs advertised on SEEK etc). The problem is that my experience is in the UK not Queensland (so it will take a bit of time for me to get up to speed with the way things are done here) and most law firms aren't interested unless you can hit the ground running.

The advice I've received is to cold call, send my resume to all and sundry and, most important of all, network. It seems that most people get jobs based on who they know, not what they know (unless it is government/public sector). So you never know when a casual conversation might lead to something....Here's hoping.
We are moving out to the SC in June and am finding it really difficult to find any work in the banking/debt recovery sector over there. I have emailed some firms direct - but have had no reply as yet. I dont fancy a mega long commute - but if thats what I need to do then so be it.

But if anyone has any ideas how I can get a foot in the door prior to getting out there I would appreciate it. Cheers.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Sir Trouser-Ruffles is an unknown quantity at this point

As an experienced commercial property lawyer I thought I might not have too much difficulty finding work as there is so much property development going on (and quite a lot of legal jobs advertised on SEEK etc). The problem is that my experience is in the UK not Queensland (so it will take a bit of time for me to get up to speed with the way things are done here) and most law firms aren't interested unless you can hit the ground running.

Have you gone down the paralegal route ( I know money won't be as great)
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:49 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
You're so right.

People should ask themselves why housing is so affordable in such a beautiful, scenic area close to those perfect beaches.

Because there's very little work available, that's why!

If the Sunshine Coast had every available work opportunity, it wouldn't be the Sunshine Coast - it would have turned into the Queensland equivalent of Sydney long ago.
Yes, it's like the people who move to Dorset, only to discover that the idyllic Hardy countryside comes at a price - few pernamanent jobs, huge housing costs and high cost of living, which all equate to a pretty grim future unless you're Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall and you grow/hunt/shoot/gut all your own food.

S
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

I am a tradie and have ben here 15 weeks now and found work straight away. Iwould say it is a lot more difficult for the white collar workers. My wife works in sales and has only just secured a job after 15 weeks. Dont expect aything like the earnings you would get in the uk. If its money your after head for Bribane but if u want to sit on a wonderful beach 10 minutes from your home head for sunshine coast
Raven

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.