Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine coast suburbs :) please help

Sunshine coast suburbs :) please help

Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:37 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default Sunshine coast suburbs :) please help

Hi all,

I know this question has prob been asked loads of times, ive been reading through old threads but can anyone suggest suburbs to settle in on the sunshine coast? hubby is a mechanic and we want to be near the coast, i have a friend who lives in caloundra and another in mooloolaba...would these be good areas considering jobs ect?? i loved Noosa when i visited but jobs are a worry so may just visit at weekends

Thanks everyone in advance, i will also prob have to work :/ which would be office based,

Cheers

xxx
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sunshine coast suburbs :) please help

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi all,

I know this question has prob been asked loads of times, ive been reading through old threads but can anyone suggest suburbs to settle in on the sunshine coast? hubby is a mechanic and we want to be near the coast, i have a friend who lives in caloundra and another in mooloolaba...would these be good areas considering jobs ect?? i loved Noosa when i visited but jobs are a worry so may just visit at weekends

Thanks everyone in advance, i will also prob have to work :/ which would be office based,

Cheers

xxx
jobs can be pretty hard to come by on the coast. Its aholiday resort and as such most work is in hospitality and leisure. though i am sure your hubby will be ok if a mechanic. 2 to 3 hundred applicants for admjn jobs . i am really not kidding
good luck
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:24 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by raven
jobs can be pretty hard to come by on the coast. Its aholiday resort and as such most work is in hospitality and leisure. though i am sure your hubby will be ok if a mechanic. 2 to 3 hundred applicants for admjn jobs . i am really not kidding
good luck
omg thats a bit of a bummer!! would you recommend closier to the city then, suppose thats where most of the jobs are, prob is we love the coast :/ thanks for your help x
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:44 pm
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice

Originally Posted by raven
good luck
Hi Raven,

Is there much work in the painting or is it still slack.

that's If we ever get therehouses bloody houses and indecisive partners
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

butterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nice

Hi all,

Cheers

xxx
hi, i think it depends on the job, a friend of ours is a mechanic on the sunshine coast near forest glen, it started as a working holiday and they are so pleased with him they are now sponsoring him as they didn't want him to leave.
There are so many garages on the coast, i'm sure your husband would have no problems, my husband was in the car a dealership in the uk and spoke to alot of the garages on the coast and they all asked if he had worked in the workshop which he hadn't as they were looking for mechanics.

hope this helps
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Job wise you should be fine, but it can be tough starting out, getting that first chance. Its true there is seasonal work, but its less than a quarter of the overall employment.

Suburb wise, hmm, its all beautiful here There are no area's to really avoid like UK cities have, hard to believe I know. Depends on what you like.. suburbia, beach life, wildlife, city life, quiet, busy, community, particular sporting activities (inc walking, cycling, surfing), close proximity to schools/jobs/shopping, etc.

Business is improving here, more large companies arriving, they're trying to move away from tourism reliance and the place is no longer carries the retirement destination tag.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Suburb wise, hmm, its all beautiful here There are no area's to really avoid like UK cities have, hard to believe I know.
The Sunshine Coast is not a city so you wouldn't really expect it to be the same as a city in the UK or Australia. A more reasonable comparison would be to compare it to somewhere like Devon or Cornwall and, like those regions, there are still places on the Coast that are less desirable than others.

Depends on what you like.. suburbia, beach life, wildlife, city life, quiet, busy, community, particular sporting activities (inc walking, cycling, surfing), close proximity to schools/jobs/shopping, etc.
This made me laugh as there isn't anything vaguely resembling a city on the Coast.

Business is improving here, more large companies arriving, they're trying to move away from tourism reliance and the place is no longer carries the retirement destination tag.
I'm not sure that I have noticed this. Tourism is still a big part of the local economy and big employers are very few and far between.

In my experience finding work is definitely the biggest challenge. I know quite a few people who commute, either daily to Brisbane or weekly to other places, because they could not get suitable work on the Coast.

It is a lovely place to visit (which is what we thought when we came here on holiday before we moved to the Coast), but you should make certain it all stacks up financially before committing to it!

Last edited by Famous 5; Feb 9th 2010 at 8:24 am.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:33 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Originally Posted by Famous 5
The Sunshine Coast is not a city so you wouldn't really expect it to be the same as a city in the UK or Australia. A more reasonable comparison would be to compare it to somewhere like Devon or Cornwall and, like those regions, there are still places on the Coast that are less desirable than others.

This made me laugh as there isn't anything vaguely resembling a city on the Coast.

I'm not sure that I have noticed this. Tourism is still a big part of the local economy and big employers are very few and far between.

In my experience finding work is definitely the biggest challenge. I know quite a few people who commute, either daily to Brisbane or weekly to other places, because they could not get suitable work on the Coast.

It is a lovely place to visit (which is what we thought when we came here on holiday before we moved to the Coast), but you should make certain it all stacks up financially before committing to it!
thanks everyone for your help, rich is now thinking of commuting to perth, he works away in the mines, hopefully going back to 2 on 2 off, atleast for a while untill he could find a suitable job, atleast we have this option,,,,your all fab, thanks guys x
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:46 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

You would be exceptionally lucky to get a job in admin/office work quickly. I have advertised a couple of positions and have had a min of 200 applicants for each one.

With a short course you woudl have a much better chance in hospitality. Tourism is the primary focus here and talk of changing that hasnt changed that. The reason they talk about it is because it is very obvious the coast is reliant on that sector.

There is very little trade work here, lots of people commute to Brisbane. Mechanics are not so badly placed though but pays arent always easy to get by on. Personally I would still come but I would make sure I had a plan for a single income family. And cash to get you through.

Its all who you know on the coast and once you get in and start meeting people it comes together but that start off is hard.

GL

Viv
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

A more reasonable comparison would be to compare it to somewhere like Devon or Cornwall and, like those regions, there are still places on the Coast that are less desirable than others.
Its not like a UK city, but Devon and Cornwall are certainly not a more reasonable comparison (check Google Maps). Yes Captain Obvious, there less desirable places than others here.

There you go again, insulting people because you misunderstand. I was implying your better off living in a southern suburb so commute to Brisbane is shorter. BTW, Caloundra was actually a city up till 2007 and Maroochydore has a CBD.

Last edited by The Flintstones; Feb 11th 2010 at 6:21 am.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 1:12 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Its not like a UK city, but Devon and Cornwall are certainly not a more reasonable comparison (check Google Maps). Yes Captain Obvious, there less desirable places than others here.

There you go again, insulting people because you misunderstand. I was implying your better off living in a southern suburb so commute to Brisbane is shorter. BTW, Caloundra was actually a city up till 2007 and Maroochydore has a CBD.
Thanks for your replys, flintstones noticed you in kawana,,,how do you find living there
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

To think of Caloundra as a city (in UK terms) isn't very accurate. But Caloundra is a great place to live and is up and coming as far as property etc. Anywhere from Maroochydore to Caloundra is nice but some areas are a bit more 'low end' than others. We live in Mountain Creek which is nice enough, close to beaches, motorways etc. School has good reputation as well.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:04 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
To think of Caloundra as a city (in UK terms) isn't very accurate. But Caloundra is a great place to live and is up and coming as far as property etc. Anywhere from Maroochydore to Caloundra is nice but some areas are a bit more 'low end' than others. We live in Mountain Creek which is nice enough, close to beaches, motorways etc. School has good reputation as well.
Ahh thanks kevin, Ive looked on the map at Mountain Creek, looks very central, thanks for your advice - maybe picking your brains closer to the move LOL x
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know much about the Sunshine Coast but surely desirability is totally relative to what you're experiences are, where you've lived previously and what you expect from your future life? One person's undesirable suburb is another person's idea of heaven.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh thanks kevin, Ive looked on the map at Mountain Creek, looks very central, thanks for your advice - maybe picking your brains closer to the move LOL x
Hi Dawn, we also live Mountain Creek and as Kevin says its a great place to live. We have lived here for almost 3 years and have really enjoyed being 5 mins drive from the beach and round the corner from Mt Creek school. It all depends what you are looking for and the lifestyle you want.

I work in Caloundra and it isnt for me as a place to live - the traffic and parking can get a little too busy for my liking. Again it all depends on what you like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.