British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   sunshine coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sunshine-coast-520722/)

susanf Mar 11th 2008 2:01 am

sunshine coast

Hi we have just moved to sunshine coast - Maroochydore at the minute in a unit. until we work out the right area for us. There is me and hubby and our 16 year old daughter. Is there anyone else out there who has just arrived or been in our situation ? Does anyone have a 16 year old and how its going for you ?
Sue x

Sunny Devon Mar 11th 2008 2:46 am

Re: sunshine coast

hi
we moved to Caloundra 6 months ago and have 2 children one who is now 16 and have to say that we have all settled in really well. Both children are doing well at school and their out of school clubs.
How have you all settled in? Any real problems? are you looking at moving into another area or just trying to get a rental where you are?

egghead4 Mar 11th 2008 10:14 pm

hi susanf and sunny devon

my name is bec, OH is chris. we are heading to the SC in june, hopefully for good if we manage to sell the house:curse:
I am looking at holiday lets for the moment, but wondered if you knew of any good places to rent short term before we find a long term property. like you, i think we will settle for a unit for the time being - whats the damage on something like this?
thanks for any advice, its really appreciated:thumbsup:
bec

minibelle Mar 11th 2008 10:24 pm

Hi all

We will be with you soon, just started to look myself and info would be great. We will end up in a hostel at this rate :thumbdown:

minibelle

Not long now bec :D

Sunny Devon Mar 12th 2008 3:17 am

Originally Posted by egghead4 (Post 6049965)

my name is bec, OH is chris. we are heading to the SC in june, hopefully for good if we manage to sell the house:curse:
I am looking at holiday lets for the moment, but wondered if you knew of any good places to rent short term before we find a long term property. like you, i think we will settle for a unit for the time being - whats the damage on something like this?
bec

Hi Bec and Chris

You should be able to pick up a fully furnished holiday let and not a hostel once you know exactly when you will be arriving will try and find the names of some in the local paper which comes out on Saturday (send me a PM and i will send you the info when i get it) when we arrived we were going to do this but with a house as we have children and a dog it also coincided with the school 2 week holiday and was going to be $3800 for 4 weeks!! so we went for a rental instead but you should be ok in June as the main holidays seem to be easter (march/april) and summer (christmas/new year!) again more idea on cost when paper comes out or go on to caloundra holiday rental web page. Bet you are really both excited.:thumbsup:

susanf Mar 12th 2008 4:12 am

thanks for getting back to me
Yeh we are looking to settle in caloundra or chancellor park we really cant decide. Which school do your children go to ? I have been lokking at all the schools in the area its a big decision finding the right one. Settled in quite well OH managed to get a job straight away and I start a job next week so things good that way.

Originally Posted by Sunny Devon (Post 6045684)
hi
we moved to Caloundra 6 months ago and have 2 children one who is now 16 and have to say that we have all settled in really well. Both children are doing well at school and their out of school clubs.
How have you all settled in? Any real problems? are you looking at moving into another area or just trying to get a rental where you are?

Sunny Devon Mar 12th 2008 4:36 am

Originally Posted by susanf (Post 6051061)
thanks for getting back to me
Yeh we are looking to settle in caloundra or chancellor park we really cant decide. Which school do your children go to ? I have been lokking at all the schools in the area its a big decision finding the right one. Settled in quite well OH managed to get a job straight away and I start a job next week so things good that way.

Both children go to Kawana State High school as I said previously we looked at all the schools in the area including private - it was a joint decision children and parents,have to say that their school reports were really good and they both are doing as well, again it is personal choice. Go and have a look go back a second time if you are unsure. Does your daughter do any out of school activities? if so just look at where they take place this could also have an impact on where to live. glad to hear that everything else is going well. let me know if i can help anymore.:thumbup:

godfrey family-lets go! Mar 12th 2008 8:46 am

bec

Hi Bec

When we first arrived we booked a furnished holiday unit for 2 weeks, one of which was school holiday here so cost us double!

When it was time to move out we were looking for a suitable house to rent but a unit in the block we were staying in came up so we took it! Even though it is starting to feel a bit small we are so glad we took it, it is in a great location, my husband can walk to work and we have met a few other British families who booked here for a few weeks before moving to long term rentals.

There is plenty of units available for rent as long as it is not school holidays!

All the best!

Sara x

BecciJ Mar 13th 2008 10:09 am

Another one here moving out to SC in June with OH and grateful of any help/advise with rentals!

If there's a few of us in the same area perhaps we should arrange a meet up??

Bec :)

betsyboob Mar 13th 2008 10:22 am

Originally Posted by BecciJ (Post 6056969)
Another one here moving out to SC in June with OH and grateful of any help/advise with rentals!

If there's a few of us in the same area perhaps we should arrange a meet up??

Bec :)

Hi, would you believe....another Bec!:rofl:
We are due to arrive SC in a couple of months, we are starting to really worry now that we are doing the right thing. We have not been before so it's a bit risky and we have two little ones in tow, any advice from anyone would be great.
Thanks Bex

Baby75 Mar 13th 2008 11:31 am

Hi

We are moving to Maroochydore in June, July fingers crossed luckily for us we have a house sorted thanks to very good friends living there already. we are going with 3 kids and one on the way and im really looking forward to it My hubby was there this time last year for a month and loved it lots to see and do for the kids.

I looked on line at house rentals in the Sunshine coast and their seems to be plenty of them and they start from $150 for a small unit up wards probably around the $250 for a house though. another option is the camping sites they are nothing compared to ours my hubby said that our friends family stayed in one when he was over and he couldn't get over it. ill see if i can find the link to the one in sunshine coast they might be a bit cheaper that a holiday let plus way better than a hostel esp with children:thumbsup:

Baby75 Mar 13th 2008 11:46 am

I found some

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/link.asp?fid=609444 right beside Maroochydore river

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/link.asp?fid=606897 seems a little cheaper

just an idea for you all:thumbsup:

laudami Mar 13th 2008 8:21 pm

Hi Were arriving in 3 weeks on 7th April on the sunny Coast and looking also for a hol. accomodaion for 2 weeks whilst we look around Buderim, Sunshine Beach, Noosa & Coolum to settle-either rent or buy???
There are 3 of us incl. Louis who is 11, 12 in May-still dont know what school he will go to yet?
Any advice would be very welcome and im up for meeting other newbies too!:thumbsup:

jad n rich Mar 13th 2008 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Baby75 (Post 6057261)
Hi

We are moving to Maroochydore in June, July fingers crossed luckily for us we have a house sorted thanks to very good friends living there already. we are going with 3 kids and one on the way and im really looking forward to it My hubby was there this time last year for a month and loved it lots to see and do for the kids.

I looked on line at house rentals in the Sunshine coast and their seems to be plenty of them and they start from $150 for a small unit up wards probably around the $250 for a house though. another option is the camping sites they are nothing compared to ours my hubby said that our friends family stayed in one when he was over and he couldn't get over it. ill see if i can find the link to the one in sunshine coast they might be a bit cheaper that a holiday let plus way better than a hostel esp with children:thumbsup:

Please allow a little bit more than that for rent, not sure what you were looking at , but around maroochydore, mt creek, caloundra etc you would be looking more at $450 for a new house, around $350 you might get a older style 3 bedroom house, rental market is pretty tight with lots of people applying for each house, bring sound proof of your financial history and references to help smooth the process.

helena39 Mar 13th 2008 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Devon (Post 6045684)
hi

Hi,

Caloundra is where I have my heart set on. OH is a baker and I would be looking for P/T work as sales assistant in clothes store. What would our chances be of getting decent work? We have 2 kids, 7 & 4. Thanks in advance.

Helena

godfrey family-lets go! Mar 13th 2008 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by helena39 (Post 6059708)
Hi,

Caloundra is where I have my heart set on. OH is a baker and I would be looking for P/T work as sales assistant in clothes store. What would our chances be of getting decent work? We have 2 kids, 7 & 4. Thanks in advance.

Helena

Don't know if they are decent jobs but have seen a few adverts in the paper for bakers, so he should be able to pick something up!

betsyboob Mar 13th 2008 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by laudami (Post 6059340)
Hi Were arriving in 3 weeks on 7th April on the sunny Coast and looking also for a hol. accomodaion for 2 weeks whilst we look around Buderim, Sunshine Beach, Noosa & Coolum to settle-either rent or buy???
There are 3 of us incl. Louis who is 11, 12 in May-still dont know what school he will go to yet?
Any advice would be very welcome and im up for meeting other newbies too!:thumbsup:

Good luck with finding somewhere but you had better get a move on as accom seems pretty hard to come by and more expensive because of Easter Hols try stayz.com.au

raven Mar 15th 2008 12:35 am

bec

HI, We stayed at the Fairseas apartments at Golden Beach when we first arrived 18 months ago. They are very popular with new poms moving out here. They have everything you need and have a great view of the passage. They where about 400 dollars a week if i remember correctly. Good luck
Raven

egghead4 Mar 15th 2008 12:50 am

thanks everyone for all the really good advice:thumbsup:
I have been looking at some fully furnished rentals and they do seem quite reasonable, although I cant find any sort of reviews for them on trip advisor etc
we are soooooo excited, we cant wait to get there and everyone sounds like they are settling in quite well.
bec

the4ofus Jun 24th 2008 3:58 pm

Hi to all those on the Sunshine Coast :)

We are arriving 6th September and staying in Northpoint Apts, Alexandra Headlands - have booked in for 2 weeks ($500 per week) but have the option of staying longer. My husband is a chef and will be looking work pretty much as soon as we get there. Is there plenty of Chef positions around? He will be looking for sous chef.

Can't believe that we are nearly there after all this time and can't wait to get there now :)

Lynn xx

jamesflorraine Jun 25th 2008 9:03 am

hi we live in maroochydore and been here 9 months and love it we have 2 daughters aged 19 and 14 the youngest one goes to maroochydore high we love it here if you want pm us regards jim/lorraine/jess/georgia

godfrey family-lets go! Jun 25th 2008 9:22 am

Hiya

We are in Caloundra and my hubbie is also a chef, he is pretty quiet at work at the moment but there are always plenty of job's advertised, when you arrive it will be getting busy again so there should be plenty of choice! He joined an agency as soon as we arrived and had work within a few days, that was in September last year.

Pity you aren't here sooner, he is advertising for a sous chef at the moment!!

Good luck with the move!

Sara

Originally Posted by the4ofus (Post 6499185)
Hi to all those on the Sunshine Coast :)

We are arriving 6th September and staying in Northpoint Apts, Alexandra Headlands - have booked in for 2 weeks ($500 per week) but have the option of staying longer. My husband is a chef and will be looking work pretty much as soon as we get there. Is there plenty of Chef positions around? He will be looking for sous chef.

Can't believe that we are nearly there after all this time and can't wait to get there now :)

Lynn xx

the4ofus Jun 25th 2008 9:53 am

Originally Posted by godfrey family-lets go! (Post 6501425)
Hiya

We are in Caloundra and my hubbie is also a chef, he is pretty quiet at work at the moment but there are always plenty of job's advertised, when you arrive it will be getting busy again so there should be plenty of choice! He joined an agency as soon as we arrived and had work within a few days, that was in September last year.

Good luck with the move!

Sara

Thanks for getting back to me Sara. I think I "spoke" to you before you had moved. It's good to know that there is work there and hopefully the OH shouldn't have much trouble getting work. Can I ask what sort of wages your husband is advertising for a sous chef? 10 weeks and 1 day until we fly - not that I'm counting ;)

Originally Posted by jamesflorraine (Post 6501388)
hi we live in maroochydore and been here 9 months and love it we have 2 daughters aged 19 and 14 the youngest one goes to maroochydore high we love it here if you want pm us regards jim/lorraine/jess/georgia

Hi Lorraine,

Just going to check out this area now. My oldest daughter is 13 and just leaving Year 9 here in NI, her b'day is March - do you know what year she will go into when we get there?

Thanks, Lynn xx

the4ofus Jul 1st 2008 12:35 pm

Can anyone tell me approx. how long it would take to get from Mooloolaba to Caloundra? The reason I ask is we are looking to open a bank a/c with Westpac and the bank is in Caloundra and we will initially be stopping in Mooloolaba.

Cheers :)

Lynn xx

tonychef Jul 1st 2008 2:36 pm

On the subject of chefs, yes there are jobs about but sometimes its who you know etc, it took me 4 months to find the job i wanted on the coast and belivie me it gets depressing at times when you apply and dont here anything
but you just have to to keep trying, the money is not as good as brissy or the goldie but im now quite happy with what i have.Sept is a good time as its the start of the build up to the season but also the chefs are coming back from the snow season esp up here in noosa!!!!!!!!!! I now know quite a few people round noosa which helps when looking for jobs but im now stoked with the job iv got

wages vary between $20 and $26 from casual to head, at the moment im on casual hours in a new place working 60 + a week so the money is good and im head now as well, to me the money is not everything its the whole package and i think iv been very luck to get this chance

good luck

the4ofus Jul 1st 2008 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by tonychef (Post 6522945)
On the subject of chefs, yes there are jobs about but sometimes its who you know etc, it took me 4 months to find the job i wanted on the coast and belivie me it gets depressing at times when you apply and dont here anything
but you just have to to keep trying, the money is not as good as brissy or the goldie but im now quite happy with what i have.Sept is a good time as its the start of the build up to the season but also the chefs are coming back from the snow season esp up here in noosa!!!!!!!!!! I now know quite a few people round noosa which helps when looking for jobs but im now stoked with the job iv got

wages vary between $20 and $26 from casual to head, at the moment im on casual hours in a new place working 60 + a week so the money is good and im head now as well, to me the money is not everything its the whole package and i think iv been very luck to get this chance

good luck

Thanks for the info Tonychef. Did you work in the 4 months before finding the job you are in now? I hope it doesn't take my OH that long to find work :unsure: Will pass on this to him.

Thanks, Lynn xx

godfrey family-lets go! Jul 1st 2008 11:17 pm

[QUOTE=the4ofus;6501547]Thanks for getting back to me Sara. I think I "spoke" to you before you had moved. It's good to know that there is work there and hopefully the OH shouldn't have much trouble getting work. Can I ask what sort of wages your husband is advertising for a sous chef? 10 weeks and 1 day until we fly - not that I'm counting ;)

Yes, we did 'chat' when we were first on here, seems like so long ago now!! To be honest I don't come on her as often now, but do pop in and out once in a while!!

He was offering an hourly rate rather than a salary of $24 per hour. When we first came he joined an agency on the Wednesday, had an interview on Friday and started work on the Monday! It was only a casual position until Christmas but as we were prepared for that it gave him time to keep looking for something permanent, which he did!

Hope this helps! Make sure you keep in touch for when you get here!

Sara x

justcantwait Jul 2nd 2008 3:31 am

Originally Posted by jamesflorraine (Post 6501388)

hi all we have been here nearly two months now,we are in sippy downs,i was just wondering how is your 19yr settling, i have a 18 and 20yr old boys and other than work there not really meeting anyone new,not to sure where to go, any advice?
thanks anne marie xx

Katehn Jul 2nd 2008 4:32 am

[QUOTE=godfrey family-lets go!;6524651]

Originally Posted by the4ofus (Post 6501547)
Thanks for getting back to me Sara. I think I "spoke" to you before you had moved. It's good to know that there is work there and hopefully the OH shouldn't have much trouble getting work. Can I ask what sort of wages your husband is advertising for a sous chef? 10 weeks and 1 day until we fly - not that I'm counting ;)

Yes, we did 'chat' when we were first on here, seems like so long ago now!! To be honest I don't come on her as often now, but do pop in and out once in a while!!

He was offering an hourly rate rather than a salary of $24 per hour. When we first came he joined an agency on the Wednesday, had an interview on Friday and started work on the Monday! It was only a casual position until Christmas but as we were prepared for that it gave him time to keep looking for something permanent, which he did!

Hope this helps! Make sure you keep in touch for when you get here!

Sara x

Hi Sara,
we have just moved to Caloundra. We had lots of fun trying to get a rental !
My OH is looking for Chefs work, could you let me know what agency he was with. At the moment my Oh is with an agency based is Brisbane which was ok when we were staying with friends in Bris.
Thanks Kate
P.s if you know of a good dentist that would be helpful

godfrey family-lets go! Jul 2nd 2008 8:08 am

[QUOTE=Katehn;6525241]

Originally Posted by godfrey family-lets go! (Post 6524651)
Hi Sara,
we have just moved to Caloundra. We had lots of fun trying to get a rental !
My OH is looking for Chefs work, could you let me know what agency he was with. At the moment my Oh is with an agency based is Brisbane which was ok when we were staying with friends in Bris.
Thanks Kate
P.s if you know of a good dentist that would be helpful

Hiya

The agency he used was called HRM, they are in Bulcock Street, he was lucky that he didn't have to join any others I suppose as they got him work quickly with the events centre, I think they send a lot of waiters etc there so have a close relationship with them, he did say that it was quiet at the moment so may be a bit different, depending on what type of chef's work he is looking for.

Can't help with the dentist I'm afraid as we have only used the school one!! Although some friends of mine were recommended one, of course I can't remember the name now!!! I do know they are along the Nicklin Way past Kawana Shopping World on the left hand side, they have a moon on the sign!!! Helpful....?!?!?!

Where abouts are you renting now? We are in Kawana Forest after spending 7 months in a unit in Kings Beach!

PM me if you want any more details or if you fancy a coffee?

Sara x

the4ofus Jul 2nd 2008 8:21 am

Sara,

Do you know how long it would take to get from Mooloolaba to Caloundra? We don't want to open an a/c with westpac if its going to take us hours to get to it:ohmy:

Thanks, Lynn xx

Katehn Jul 2nd 2008 12:32 pm

[QUOTE=godfrey family-lets go!;6525634]

Originally Posted by Katehn (Post 6525241)
HI, Thanks for that, will pm you.
We are renting in Dicky Beach.
Kate
Hiya

The agency he used was called HRM, they are in Bulcock Street, he was lucky that he didn't have to join any others I suppose as they got him work quickly with the events centre, I think they send a lot of waiters etc there so have a close relationship with them, he did say that it was quiet at the moment so may be a bit different, depending on what type of chef's work he is looking for.

Can't help with the dentist I'm afraid as we have only used the school one!! Although some friends of mine were recommended one, of course I can't remember the name now!!! I do know they are along the Nicklin Way past Kawana Shopping World on the left hand side, they have a moon on the sign!!! Helpful....?!?!?!

Where abouts are you renting now? We are in Kawana Forest after spending 7 months in a unit in Kings Beach!

PM me if you want any more details or if you fancy a coffee?

Sara x

Katehn Jul 2nd 2008 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by the4ofus (Post 6525663)
Sara,

Do you know how long it would take to get from Mooloolaba to Caloundra? We don't want to open an a/c with westpac if its going to take us hours to get to it:ohmy:

Thanks, Lynn xx

It takes about 10 - 15 mins to drive to Mooloolaba from Caloundra

the4ofus Jul 2nd 2008 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Katehn (Post 6526455)
It takes about 10 - 15 mins to drive to Mooloolaba from Caloundra

Thank you my dear :)

Lynn xx

betsyboob Jul 2nd 2008 2:37 pm

Hi all, arriving in Brissie in August. Myself, OH, 1yr old and 3 yr old. Have been looking at booking temp accom for the 4 of us, ideally somewhere with a fenced yard for the kiddies to run around. Found somewhere on Kawana lakes, is this very close to Caloundra? and how far away from towns such as Redcliffe as we may end up there if OH can't get work on the coast.
Many thanks
x

tonychef Jul 2nd 2008 2:46 pm

try googe earth as it will give you some idea of the distances, kawana to redcliffe is a long way unless your been paid a fortune but its not far from caloundra, im in noosa and i would`nt dream of working down there as its 50 mins drive on the bruce, if you live on the coast most poeple work on it and don`t drive far to work but thats my opinion from noosa anyway

good luck

betsyboob Jul 2nd 2008 2:56 pm

Plan is to live Caloundra/Buderim way (although we adore the look of Noosa but worried about work - OH is a plumber). BUT if the work is closer to Brisbane will settle Redcliffe way.

mydearboy1 Jul 2nd 2008 3:15 pm

Hi Caloundra is an area i am looking into at moment for when we move out (fingers crossed) next year.

Found out a little from the web, but cant get any details on how far away it is from the coast. Can anyone help thanks!
Also what are the "best" parts of Caloundra (area) and are admin jobs widely available (O/H)

Many Thanks
Darren

Katehn Jul 3rd 2008 7:33 am

Originally Posted by mydearboy1 (Post 6526924)
Hi Caloundra is an area i am looking into at moment for when we move out (fingers crossed) next year.

Found out a little from the web, but cant get any details on how far away it is from the coast. Can anyone help thanks!
Also what are the "best" parts of Caloundra (area) and are admin jobs widely available (O/H)

Many Thanks
Darren

Hi , Caloundra is on the coast, I'm living in Dicky beach / Battery hill and am a 20 min walk to the beach.
We've only been here a couple of weeks so i can't help you out on the bad areas. Although someone mentioned that Warana wasnt that good!

the4ofus Jul 3rd 2008 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by godfrey family-lets go! (Post 6501425)
Hiya

Good luck with the move!

Sara

Sara, what is the restaurant called that your OH works at and where is it? Does it have a website address?

Lynn xx