Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunburn - a word of warning

Sunburn - a word of warning

Old Dec 29th 2005, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sunburn - a word of warning

As the kids got wet suits and body boards we went to the beach on Boxing Day. My mother in law took the kids out swimming and playing in the water for 45 minutes only. It was about 25 degrees but cloudy.

By the evening we knew she was sunburnt and in pain. By Wednesday she'd spent 2 days slapping on Aloa Vera and crying almost constantly. We took her to the hospital and it was one of the worst sunburn cases they had seen, she had to be passed to the Burns Unit and they have applied a "second skin" to her back that will have to be removed this Saturday. She is still in pain and cannot sit back or sleep properly.

We've learnt a valuable lesson. Even on a very cloudy day you can get badly burned in just 45 mins, and Aloa Vera/Aftersun is only useful on mild burns.

On the plus side at least I now have good reason to poke fun at the mother in law. Seeing her wrapped up in bandages I did mention the film The Mummy Returns.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 8:56 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunburn - a word of warning

Originally Posted by haggis supper
As the kids got wet suits and body boards we went to the beach on Boxing Day. My mother in law took the kids out swimming and playing in the water for 45 minutes only. It was about 25 degrees but cloudy.

By the evening we knew she was sunburnt and in pain. By Wednesday she'd spent 2 days slapping on Aloa Vera and crying almost constantly. We took her to the hospital and it was one of the worst sunburn cases they had seen, she had to be passed to the Burns Unit and they have applied a "second skin" to her back that will have to be removed this Saturday. She is still in pain and cannot sit back or sleep properly.

We've learnt a valuable lesson. Even on a very cloudy day you can get badly burned in just 45 mins, and Aloa Vera/Aftersun is only useful on mild burns.

On the plus side at least I now have good reason to poke fun at the mother in law. Seeing her wrapped up in bandages I did mention the film The Mummy Returns.
*ouch* give her (gentle) hugz!
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:07 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, its very different to the sun in the uk and have to be careful.
Always wear a hat too is my advise.
I took the kids to the beach a couple years ago and it was overcast. It didnt stop the sun from burning my head to the point where it was covered in water filled boils the next day. I was sick as a dog for days after. I think I had a touch of sunstroke and it was only in the spring time and about 27c

Last edited by Luke I Amyofath; Dec 29th 2005 at 9:18 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:17 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest there is no time in the day that you should go out without sun screen here. Skin cancer is not a good thing and the amount of skin cancer clinics around should send alarm bells to most sensible people. They are "popular" for a reason.....
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I wore factor 30 and we only spent 2 hours on the beach the other day but still got burnt, looks like factor 50 for a while.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
To be honest there is no time in the day that you should go out without sun screen here.

Isn't that a sweeping statement? Depends on a person's sensitivity to the sun, the time of year, and (importantly) the time of day, among other factors.

Jeremy
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

i'd say it was a bloomin' good sweeping statement!!!

wouldn't you rather every single person put on sunscreen all the time rather than only when they thought they might need it.

had i followed that advice i would have avoided a (minor) case of burn back in december last year! it was also melbourne and also cloudy so i thought i'd be ok.... i wasn't!!!

rellies in melbourne informed me after the fact that the sun in melbourne is worse than everywhere else because of its closeness to the hole in the ozone..... not sure how true that is but i know that the only place in the whole world where i've ever had sunburn has been down dromana beach on the mornington pennisula!!!

remember..... SLIP!!! SLAP!!!! SLOP!!!!!
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:56 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I've been sitting out in the sun without cream on but only for 40 minutes a day maximum and I built up to that, haven't been burnt yet.

Obviously if I was out for the day I'd smother myself.

Hope the MIL feels better soon mate

Mine will be here in March, how long did you say it took? cue evil laugh

Last edited by fraser; Dec 29th 2005 at 10:00 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:58 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Isn't that a sweeping statement? Depends on a person's sensitivity to the sun, the time of year, and (importantly) the time of day, among other factors.

Jeremy
The wisest words that spring to mind are "better safe than sorry"
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:59 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fraser]I've been sitting out in the sun without cream on but only for 40 minutes a day maximum and I built up to that, haven't been burnt yet.

Not long til you achieve that "prune" look that is so in vogue then!
Old Dec 29th 2005, 10:11 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch! Hope she heels soon.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 29th 2005, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

everywhere you go in Oz, organisers of events tell you to be careful and cover up - obviously for a reason! And many supply sunscreen.

We were in NZ over Christmas and no-one mentioned the power of the sun, yet the ozone hole there is worse than any other country. I saw so many tourists with that attractive 'burnt head-thinning hair' look- so few people I saw wearing hat, yet here most people don something.
Little old me was sitting in the shade- I want to look my age not like a 70 year old!
Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:13 pm
Banned

arkle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YoSemite
i'd say it was a bloomin' good sweeping statement!!!

wouldn't you rather every single person put on sunscreen all the time rather than only when they thought they might need it.

had i followed that advice i would have avoided a (minor) case of burn back in december last year! it was also melbourne and also cloudy so i thought i'd be ok.... i wasn't!!!

rellies in melbourne informed me after the fact that the sun in melbourne is worse than everywhere else because of its closeness to the hole in the ozone..... not sure how true that is but i know that the only place in the whole world where i've ever had sunburn has been down dromana beach on the mornington pennisula!!!

remember..... SLIP!!! SLAP!!!! SLOP!!!!!
Not necessarily, Some people say that too much sun screen is actually toxic and does you more harm than good.
Some direct sun shine every day is good for you. Everything in moderation.

Of course if you are going to be out in the sun all day then use sun screen buts its best to try and cover up. I wear a rashie and board shorts when I go in the sea and so do my kids. Take them of for about half hour to dry off in the sun then put on a T-shirt.

Always wear a hat as a sunburnt head is not much fun
Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

even with factor 30 on I burnt slightly in the sun after an hour yesterday and I was probably only uncovered for 45 minutes at 10:30am.

It's easy not to get caught - the beach isn't a sensible place to be when the sun is at it's hottest, midday and early afternoon and of course slip, slop, slap.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper

Ouch!! hope she feels better very soon, we've been alright so far....well except for one little patch on my leg where I must have missed with the old sunscreen

All the best

Sue x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.