Sun and Smog

Old Nov 9th 2003, 12:47 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sun and Smog

Having lived all of my life in the UK, excessive Sun and its related problems have not registered above the need to ensure I have packed a high factor sunscream for my hols.

Perth is warming up, and we have waited for it through the damp, grey and wet days of winter. It is in the low 30's at the moment and due to rise to 38oC by Tuesday.

Yesterday there was a distinct haze masking our (paid for) city view. I thought, nice summer hazy day.

The advice that on the hotter days children, the elderly and anyone with breathing problems should stay indoors; coupled with the increase of tv programmes with graphic pictures of the damage caused by skin cancer. I thought heellooo, I've come here for a relaxed sunny outdoor lifestyle, not one where I have to huddle indoors in winter to keep warm and then stay indoors in spring and summer to keep cool.

Is autumn going to be okay?

So then I get to looking up heat index, etc and I noticed a small box printed on the weather page showing rising polution levels, inland WA (Kalgoorlie) already almost registering at the limit of the 'acceptable level'. I then discover that WA has excessive levels of photochemical smog in Perth during summer, and suddenly the haze didn't seem quite so romantic.:scared:
Old Nov 9th 2003, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sun and Smog

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Having lived all of my life in the UK, excessive Sun and its related problems have not registered above the need to ensure I have packed a high factor sunscream for my hols.

Perth is warming up, and we have waited for it through the damp, grey and wet days of winter. It is in the low 30's at the moment and due to rise to 38oC by Tuesday.

Yesterday there was a distinct haze masking our (paid for) city view. I thought, nice summer hazy day.

The advice that on the hotter days children, the elderly and anyone with breathing problems should stay indoors; coupled with the increase of tv programmes with graphic pictures of the damage caused by skin cancer. I thought heellooo, I've come here for a relaxed sunny outdoor lifestyle, not one where I have to huddle indoors in winter to keep warm and then stay indoors in spring and summer to keep cool.

So then I get to looking up heat index, etc and I noticed a small box printed on the weather page showing rising polution levels, inland WA (Kalgoorlie) already almost registering at the limit of the 'acceptable level'. I then discover that WA has excessive levels of photochemical smog in Perth during summer, and suddenly the haze didn't seem quite so romantic.:scared:
Hi Donna
I was very surpirsed to find the same thing in Melbourne. When the sun shines it's unbelievably gorgeous but on some days the smog is terrible - last summer we had a few occasions when we were advised to stay indoors, shut all windows and not do exercise outdoors. On a sunny day when you look out over the bay or the city there is a layer of brown which tarnishes the blue sky. We get an air pollution index as well - and the 'stay indoors' days are publicised on the front page of the newspaper.

My other half does a lot of cycling (about 500km a week) and has suffered with a lot of respiratory probs since we've been here - doctor has attributed it to the smog. I used to commute by bike to the CBD daily and found it choking some days.

I know congested cities the world over will suffer from smog so before anyone jumps on me for painting a tarnished picture, I am not trying to compare this to the UK, nor am I even attempting to say whether it is any better or any worse (I never lived in a city for starters). I was also surprised that 1 in 4 children here suffer from asthma - again, I don't know if this is a good or bad level of incidence - it just - to me- seems to be a high rate of occurence.

I think much of this is just part and parcel of the 'car culture'. We try and cycle as much as poss to cut down on car use and stay healthy but ironically, we're probably taking in more car fumes as a result!!

We don't have quite the same probs here with excessive sunshine (actually we've had the most gorgeous sunny week this week and it really feels like summer is on its way! )
Old Nov 9th 2003, 1:48 am
Good to be back in UK

Hi HP,

It wasn't my intention either to compare the UK and Oz, in fact, I rarely wish to do that. My viewpoint of this forum is to discuss lifestyle issues as a British expat living in OZ. I have too much time on my hands at the moment, so looking around the internet for pollution figures, helps pass the time

Seriously though the news item last night did make me think about the impact of the sun/heat on the much sought after lifestyle. I know in the unusually hot summer we had in UK this year the elderly we seriously affected by the heat, some fatally.

I think I remember it also being reported in the uK about the rise in pollution levels during this summer.

I don't know enough about the effects of winter or summer pollution to make any comment about what is better to live with. But at a laypersons point of view, pollution, heat indexes, skin cancer threats, extreme UV levels, and messages to stay indoors lessens the enjoyment of lying on the beach in a bikini
Old Nov 9th 2003, 4:12 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Funny you should say that about the smog. Yesterday we drove to the coast and I said to hubby 'look how hazy it is, it looks like smog, do you think it is'? he said, 'don't be so silly'!!!!! Well it looks like I was right. Couldn't see a thing!

I get Ashma and thought that it might ease up a bit when I arrived here but I have to take more inhalers now that when I was in the UK? I also suffer from allergies/hayfever and have found things worse here than back in the UK.

I think the Ashma is worse due to the heat and dampness of winter, my doctor says there seems to be more Ashma cases thatn he has ever known, especially in young children? The allergies I'am not sure about but there are lots of trees with high pollenating blossom maybe this is the reason?

Old Nov 9th 2003, 6:37 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Donna
I was very surpirsed to find the same thing in Melbourne. When the sun shines it's unbelievably gorgeous but on some days the smog is terrible - last summer we had a few occasions when we were advised to stay indoors, shut all windows and not do exercise outdoors. On a sunny day when you look out over the bay or the city there is a layer of brown which tarnishes the blue sky. We get an air pollution index as well - and the 'stay indoors' days are publicised on the front page of the newspaper.

My other half does a lot of cycling (about 500km a week) and has suffered with a lot of respiratory probs since we've been here - doctor has attributed it to the smog. I used to commute by bike to the CBD daily and found it choking some days.

I know congested cities the world over will suffer from smog so before anyone jumps on me for painting a tarnished picture, I am not trying to compare this to the UK, nor am I even attempting to say whether it is any better or any worse (I never lived in a city for starters). I was also surprised that 1 in 4 children here suffer from asthma - again, I don't know if this is a good or bad level of incidence - it just - to me- seems to be a high rate of occurence.

I think much of this is just part and parcel of the 'car culture'. We try and cycle as much as poss to cut down on car use and stay healthy but ironically, we're probably taking in more car fumes as a result!!

We don't have quite the same probs here with excessive sunshine (actually we've had the most gorgeous sunny week this week and it really feels like summer is on its way! )
500km a week - is he Superman!
Old Nov 9th 2003, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pookin
500km a week - is he Superman!
When I see what he's wearing, I sometimes wonder......
Old Nov 9th 2003, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

mandandbri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

A question I feel that needs to be asked to people who have emigrated and post on this site is why are you actually here??? Surely you knew that it got hot here?? Surely you knew about the flies?? The job market etc??

Perth is HOT it is a city so therefore will have smog!!

I understand that this is a forum and therefore everyone is entitled to their opinion. However what really gets me is a few individuals who have been here a strawberry seaon and post such negative posts.

For the record we have been here 8 months and we LOVE Perth . The weater is great the beaches are amazing. I just think about this time last year and freezing to death and thank my lucky stars that I have been given the opportunity to experience such a fab place.

So there!!

Feel better now !!
Old Nov 9th 2003, 9:15 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mandandbri
Hi all

A question I feel that needs to be asked to people who have emigrated and post on this site is why are you actually here??? Surely you knew that it got hot here?? Surely you knew about the flies?? The job market etc??

I understand that this is a forum and therefore everyone is entitled to their opinion. However what really gets me is a few individuals who have been here a strawberry seaon and post such negative posts.

For the record we have been here 8 months and we LOVE Perth . The weater is great the beaches are amazing. I just think about this time last year and freezing to death and thank my lucky stars that I have been given the opportunity to experience such a fab place.

So there!!

Feel better now !!
Totally agree, but although we were aware of the job market, certainly didn't think that we'd still be unemployed after 8 weeks of looking.

Easy to get disheartened. Having a p****d-off day today, but will be back in the saddle seeing those agencies tomorow.

Perhaps I'll crack open a Chardonnay.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

mandandbri is an unknown quantity at this point

You will find something you have a very positive attitude!! Just keep plugging!!

Think I will join you in a Chardonnay!!
Old Nov 9th 2003, 9:23 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hi all

I understand that this is a forum and therefore everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Thats it then, we are entitled to our opinion.

Some people aren't as lucky as some and are still job hunting after many months in Perth.

Old Nov 9th 2003, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Mercury Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

"Perth is warming up, and we have waited for it through the damp, grey and wet days of winter."

Are you talking about winter in UK or Perth? If it's Perth, was it really that bad? OK you get a few grey rainy days but they're usually interspersed with some sunny days too and certainly a refreshing change to the cold UK winters.

MM
Old Nov 9th 2003, 9:59 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Mercury Monkey
"Perth is warming up, and we have waited for it through the damp, grey and wet days of winter."

Are you talking about winter in UK or Perth? If it's Perth, was it really that bad? OK you get a few grey rainy days but they're usually interspersed with some sunny days too and certainly a refreshing change to the cold UK winters.

MM
You will find positive and negatives posted on here, Most is good positive stuff. You will get to know those that only post negative and have a down on Australia. They seem to blame there negative attitude on Australia. Most of them will never post positive as all they see is gloom. When you see there names in a post, just avoid it will only bring you down. I do not view Australia with Rose tinted glasses and it is nice to see the good and bad points, but really stay around and you will realise those that just seem to want to put anything negative they can. These people are also those who are thinking of returning to UK. Oz is not for everyone but for most it is.
As for the Smog!!! London is very polluted and people suffer with breathing dificulties and health problems. Every country has its invornement problems, and Oz does not escape this, it is a fact of life.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi all

So there!!

Feel better now !!
Negative or realistic?

Smog isn't an opinion - it's a fact! Melbourne is also a city and has smog. It has smog on cool days as well as hot days.

For the record, I don't think anyone in this post has denied that the beaches are lovely or that the weather is awful!!! All that was mentioned was the smog.....
Old Nov 9th 2003, 10:01 am
Good to be back in UK

Hi all

A question I feel that needs to be asked to people who have emigrated and post on this site is why are you actually here???
Aren't we posting here because we have emigrated? Is that not why you are here?

[i]

So there!!
Feel better now !!
I take it from your comments that I have to wait until I have been here for 8 months before I am permitted to comment on my experiences and then only to post how much I LOVE Perth.

If you are so happy why do factual posts, albeit not overly positive ones upset you so much. Would it not be more effective for you to substantiate why you love perth so much, apart from the great beaches that is.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 10:31 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

Aren't we posting here because we have emigrated? Is that not why you are here?

I take it from your comments that I have to wait until I have been here for 8 months before I am permitted to comment on my experiences and then only to post how much I LOVE Perth.

If you are so happy why do factual posts, albeit not overly positive ones upset you so much. Would it not be more effective for you to substantiate why you love perth so much, apart from the great beaches that is.
I for one have never seen anything positive from you, I do not mean to be disrespectful and this isnt meant to be but if you were to take any sort of work and get into the swing of things you may feel better. Coming up to Xams in the city you can get seasonal work no problems. Bieng unemployed in UK or in paradise is soul destroying at the best of times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.