Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Summer of airport delays on way, says Brown

Summer of airport delays on way, says Brown

Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Summer of airport delays on way, says Brown

So even if you get to the airport early, you're actually making things worse!
Last night BAA admitted waiting times at security gates had increased by 50 per cent - to an average of 15 minutes - and that further delays were caused by worried passengers trying to check in five or six hours early.

Link
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:28 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer of airport delays on way, says Brown

Originally Posted by Hutch
Last night BAA admitted waiting times at security gates had increased by 50 per cent - to an average of 15 minutes - and that further delays were caused by worried passengers trying to check in five or six hours early.

Link
Passangers trying to check in 5-6 hours earlier - are they insane?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Great, just as we about to head over there. I won't be checking in 6 hours early though!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:49 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Link
How annoying the general public can be. 5-6 hours early is ridiculous

It's like panic buying..the 'petrol' situation afew years back. We the public bleed them dry!!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Oh I don't know, I like to check in early, then I can get rid of my bags, sit down with a beer and a paper, and chill out knowing that I'm in no rush
Old Jul 7th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

I've often checked in as early as possible...then gone home for something to eat, before making our way back to the airport!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 11:04 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seat151
I've often checked in as early as possible...then gone home for something to eat, before making our way back to the airport!
Has to be one up-side to living under the flight path, right?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 11:32 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Summer of airport delays on way, says Brown

Originally Posted by C&R
No, they're British.

Oh wait...
Old Jul 7th 2007, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seat151
See the checked-in luggage as collateral!

They have it, they ain't going anywhere until they're satisfied you're near it (whilst the plane is away from the stand) so relaaax.

I used to enjoy doing the opposite walking across the tarmac from the office and walking on, with only hand luggage and be back at my old man's (under Heathrow's flightpath) in just over an hour.

But I had to be on time. Oh yes!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

At least by getting there early you avoid being stuck in traffic etc and getting there late....how many of us have seen Airline with all those people who cut it too fine and miss their flights?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
At least by getting there early you avoid being stuck in traffic etc and getting there late....how many of us have seen Airline with all those people who cut it too fine and miss their flights?
And then they start shouting at the staff because they were late!

I had no idea you could check in 5-6 hours before a flight, I thought the earliest was 2-3 hours before, at least it has been on every flight I've been on. 5 hours hanging around an airport? Boring.

I'm all for checking in early but 5 hours is excessive.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

Gordon brown is talking crap. Wouldnt it make the waiting times less if everybody checked in early there wouldnt be a mad rush at security? It only causes a problem surley if everybody turned up late for their flight. Excuses excuses
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:58 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
Not that long ago I went skiing from Gatwick - due to the availability of transport to the aiport (for 18 people and assocaited ski gear) we arrived about 5 hours before our flight was to depart - I was thinking to myself I was going to go mad sitting around the airport for hours before take off!!

Lucky we got there so early though.

Check in took 2 and a half

took nearly 2 hours to get trhough security, passport control, x-ray machines etc (massive queues).

Only just got to the gate as the flight was boarding!

Security is getting so tight it seems to take ages to get anything done at the airport - we worked out it would have been quicker to get the train to the ski fields - it was more than 12 hours door to door - eurostar would have done it in ten!!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Must admit that we are early birds. The main reason I try and get there early is because it can take anything from 45 minutes to 5 hours to get to Heathrow! I would much rather be there and spend 5 hours wandering around then panicking about missing my flight in a traffic jam.