Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sullivans...and other Aussie soaps

The Sullivans...and other Aussie soaps

Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:20 pm
tennisoz

Default Re: The Sullivans...and other Aussie soaps

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Call me sad, but does anyone else remember the Sullivans? I used to watch it at my nan's when I was about 10 years old - about 1980. I went to a pub in Abbotsford last week and one of the Aussie guys with us told me that it was the pub where the Sullivans was filmed. (It was a nice pub too - quite rustic and - dare I say it - English.)

We had some visitors over from the UK last summer and they insisted I took them to Ramsay St!! It's just a normal residential Melbourne St - but sure enough, there was the Robinson's, Mrs Mangle's, Madge & Harold's. I was quite disappointed tho not to see one of the residents just popping next door with an 'extra' casserole that they'd made!!

Anyone know where the other old Aussie soaps were filmed? (Sons and Daughters, the Cedar Tree, etc)
Nice thread, just had a quick look at the replies.

Yes, The Sullivans. Michael Caton who was in this now does a show called Hot Property and Hot Auctions. The former is shown in the UK on Home and Leisure channel. He was also in a brillian film called 'The Castle' which had a follow-up not quite as good called 'The Dish'.

Flying Doctors is shown 6 days a week on UK Gold at 6.30 am or thereabout each day except Saturday. There were over 220 episodes, when they finish they go back to the start. They are about half way through at the moment, including Shane O'Brien.

A Country Practice was mainly filmed at Wandin at the back of the Dandenongs near Melbourne, I think. Current favourites include Blue Heelers (filmed at Williamstown, Castlemaine, the You Yangs and other bits near Melbourne) and Stingers. Last visit to Oz in August we by chance saw filming of both programs 3 or 4 times and got some pics and spoke to the cast members (Blue Heelers in Williamstown and Stingers at Beacon Cove/Garden City).

Pin Oak Court in Vermont South = Ramsay Street in Neighbours. Been there lots of times. The photos of the houses and cast members give me enormous 'street cred' with my pupils at school. I went to school in Williamstown with Ian Smith (Harold Bishop) - he 5 years ahead of me!

Prisoner Cell Block H. Now there's a classic, so bad it has a cult following. 'Susan Kennedy' and 'Lyn Scully' currently in Neighbours were both in it.

There's a few things to kick the thread along

TennisOz

Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Andiii
E-street was GREAT!

I've got a feeling that E-Street is on Aus TV at the moment - I think it's on after Judge Judy (now there's a hilarious show!). Is it from the 80s? If it's the one I'm thinking of, there's some very young looking ex-Neigbours/H&A people in it. Where is E-street based/filmed?

I know, I know, I must watch too much daytime TV!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:31 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by tennisoz
Nice thread, just had a quick look at the replies.

Yes, The Sullivans. Michael Caton who was in this now does a show called Hot Property and Hot Auctions. The former is shown in the UK on Home and Leisure channel. He was also in a brillian film called 'The Castle' which had a follow-up not quite as good called 'The Dish'.

Flying Doctors is shown 6 days a week on UK Gold at 6.30 am or thereabout each day except Saturday. There were over 220 episodes, when they finish they go back to the start. They are about half way through at the moment, including Shane O'Brien.

A Country Practice was mainly filmed at Wandin at the back of the Dandenongs near Melbourne, I think. Current favourites include Blue Heelers (filmed at Williamstown, Castlemaine, the You Yangs and other bits near Melbourne) and Stingers. Last visit to Oz in August we by chance saw filming of both programs 3 or 4 times and got some pics and spoke to the cast members (Blue Heelers in Williamstown and Stingers at Beacon Cove/Garden City).

Pin Oak Court in Vermont South = Ramsay Street in Neighbours. Been there lots of times. The photos of the houses and cast members give me enormous 'street cred' with my pupils at school. I went to school in Williamstown with Ian Smith (Harold Bishop) - he 5 years ahead of me!

Prisoner Cell Block H. Now there's a classic, so bad it has a cult following. 'Susan Kennedy' and 'Lyn Scully' currently in Neighbours were both in it.

There's a few things to kick the thread along

TennisOz
Also just thought of Water Rats which wasn't bad - Police drama based on the Sydney Water Police. It finished up a year or so ago but they showed repeats when I was in Oz. And going back a 'few years' what about Homicide, The Class of '74, Bellbird, The Box etc.

Not bad that Aussie TV eh?

TennisOz

Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:34 pm
tennisoz

Also just thought of Water Rats which wasn't bad - Police drama based on the Sydney Water Police. It finished up a year or so ago but they showed repeats when I was in Oz. And going back a 'few years' what about Homicide, The Class of '74, Bellbird, The Box etc.

Not bad that Aussie TV eh?

TennisOz
And what's that show I never watch (just the opening titles for the scenes) but it's on in the UK as well which is set in St Kilda - backpackers etc - is it the secret lives of us or such like?

TennisOz

Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

There was another police one, was it called police rescue? it was set in sydney and they were always cutting people out of car wrecks and things, the bloke that played the lead used to be married to her that was kate from the flying doctors but i cant remember who he was. And the guy he worked alongside was supposed to be greek.

How sad are we all.

Lynn
Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Ok i'm into real saddo mode now, the guys name i was trying to think of was gary sweet.

Another one i just thought of Snowy River

Lynn
Old Oct 27th 2003, 10:00 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by lynnj
Ok i'm into real saddo mode now, the guys name i was trying to think of was gary sweet.

Another one i just thought of Snowy River

Lynn
Yeah, Gary Sweet who was in a thing called Police Rescue which I just thought of and is now in Stingers (and is as bald a billiard ball). We didn't see Gary Sweet when they were filming Stingers but saw Peter Phelps both times.

Snowy River I remember well - there's been a few film versions and a series. I also just thought of a show set in the Fire Service in Brisbane - 'Joe Scully' in Neighbours was in it.

TennisOz

Old Oct 27th 2003, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tennis

Have a look at www.crawfords.com.au have a shufty at the library, i'm sure you'll recognise one or two things.

Lynn
Old Oct 27th 2003, 10:28 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by lynnj
Tennis

Have a look at www.crawfords.com.au have a shufty at the library, i'm sure you'll recognise one or two things.

Lynn
Lynn

Thanks for that link, I'll have a shufty some time. Henderson Kids is another series I just remembered. Kylie was in that and it was filmed at Williamstown, Melbourne a lot (where I come from). I'd be more intested in seeing Kylie now

TennisOz

Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:17 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Michael Caton who was in this now does a show called Hot Property and Hot Auctions. The former is shown in the UK on Home and Leisure channel. He was also in a brillian film called 'The Castle' which had a follow-up not quite as good called 'The Dish'.
TennisOz
The Castle! We have that on DVD, were subjected to it when we visited Adeliade earlier this year and decided to buy a copy when we got home. Most of our friends found it hilarious but a couple of them just didn't get it.

Great film "You have friend come to my house, I have friend too, he come to your house and blow you to ****ing sky!"
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:26 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here for all the locations on Neighbours:
http://www.erinsborough.com/locations/index.htm

This site is the unofficial official site. It's heaps better than the official one.
There's heaps of recent interviews with actors, production people and story people. And on the forum in Questions and Answers the script producers answer questions. They even know all the regular posters on there, cos they read the forum all the time.
On of the forums moderators lives in Melbourne, as has spent time in the story office at Nunawadding ? and he does most of the interviews with the people.
Enjoy!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:28 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

"You have friend come to my house, I have friend too, he come to your house and blow you to ****ing sky!"
LoL

same character "in lebennon planes fly over and drop bombs .Here they just fly over"
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:38 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by seang
LoL

same character "in lebennon planes fly over and drop bombs .Here they just fly over"
'We're goin' to Bonnie Doon, we're goin' to Bonnie Doon ...' 'Feel the serenity'. 'What do you call that darl?' 'Rissoles'. TELL HIM HE'S DREAMIN'. Move the Torana and move the (?) so I can get the (?) out.

TennisOz

Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:41 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

This was a question answered on above mentioned site:
Q: How come we have seen so many ex Prisoner Cell Block H actors join Neighbours over the years? Neighbours must hold the record for the show which most ex Prisoner stars have went on to!
(Chris, UK)

Jan Russ(casting director): Dear Chris, The actors you mention live in Melbourne and both shows have been made here. Actually many other shows here have some of the ex-Prisoner cast in them - they are very changeable and sometimes in that age group we don't always have a large pool of actors to cast from. However, thank you for being so observant.

Neighbours people who were in Prisoner:

Jackie Woodburne(Susan Kennedy)
Elspeth Ballantyne(Cathy Alessi)
Anne Phelan(Claudia-Harolds friend when he came back with amnesia)
Lois Collinder(Miss Techendorf)
Gerda Nicolson(Robyn Taylor)
Maureen Edwards(Ruby)
Anne Charleston(Madge)
Colette Mann(Stand in Cheryl Stark)
The actress who played Susan Cole.

Shane Connor (Bongo Connors)
Janet Andrewartha (Reb Kean),
Tom Oliver (Ken Pearce)
Ian Smith (Ted Douglas)
Maggie Millar (Marie Winter)
Kirsty Child (Willie Beecham)

I think there's more, but this is what I've found.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, E-street is on daytime T.V.

I love Muriel's wedding so much...

"Are you black?" Muriel to swimmer

"I thought you became a drug user, a prostitute!" - Mother to Muriel

"MUM, MAKE DAD A CUP OF TEA!!!" - Children to Mother.

Then she puts it in the microwave! LMAO

"Deadrie (sp) Chambers... what a coincidence!"

"Finish your orgasm..."

I think I might rent it tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.