Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for "expanding" a 20kg luggage allowance??

Suggestions for "expanding" a 20kg luggage allowance??

Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

SarahandOli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suggestions for "expanding" a 20kg luggage allowance??

I am doing a trip back to uk next week and I am going to have loads of stuff to bring back, most will be boxed up and shipped out here - but I want to try and get as much onto the flight as possible!

I have a 20kg allowance and just wondering what's the best strategy - go for one case at 30k or try for two at 15K????

I also have items like skis, ski boots etc - I know if you do them on a ski holiday they will accept them for free - what's do you think my chances would be?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:49 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions for "expanding" a 20kg luggage allowance??

Hello!

Don't have any answers to your questions - just wanted to say, have a good trip and see you when you get back. I presume it is just one of you going back for stuff?

Binbird
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends on the airline, oh and the attitude of the check in person at the desk! I travelled back from UK to Oz and had 35kg on 20kg allowance. They just warned me that next time I would be charged. Check in early, smile sweetly and innocently and you probably be ok...
Stella
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by binbird
Hello!

Don't have any answers to your questions - just wanted to say, have a good trip and see you when you get back. I presume it is just one of you going back for stuff?

Binbird
Hi Bindy!

Yes I am heading back next week, only booked it today so very excited!!!! I always knew arriving in aus with just backpacks would be a mistake - as I am now about to have do a return trip in just 10 days!!! - Still it willbe great to get some of our belongings out here.

Definitely meet up when i get back

Sarah
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
I guess it all depends on the airline, oh and the attitude of the check in person at the desk! I travelled back from UK to Oz and had 35kg on 20kg allowance. They just warned me that next time I would be charged. Check in early, smile sweetly and innocently and you probably be ok...
Stella
WOW - an extra 15kg!! I'm going to start practicing that very sweet smile!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:50 am
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SarahandOli
WOW - an extra 15kg!! I'm going to start practicing that very sweet smile!
even better having a baby with you ....we came back from oz 2003 with singapore airline both had 20kg luggage allowance ended up bringing 100kg all little jonah did was smile at them and the women on checkin just melted and let us free with nothing extra to pay and both flights were full ...they even went and got us a pushchair for him at brisbane because claire had in a sling
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sir Les Patterson
even better having a baby with you ....we came back from oz 2003 with singapore airline both had 20kg luggage allowance ended up bringing 100kg all little jonah did was smile at them and the women on checkin just melted and let us free with nothing extra to pay and both flights were full ...they even went and got us a pushchair for him at brisbane because claire had in a sling
Well - having a baby just to get extra luggage might be a little extreme!!! But great to know how far a co-operative checkin-person and a smile can go!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Travel agent said to arrive very early for best chance of blagging.

The check in guy had me transfer hand luggage to main baggage as it weighed too much but didn't have a problem with the extra 30kg which ended up in the hold.

Best to make sure you have one of those hand luggage on wheels in case they ask you to put it in the hold and have a couple of spare cloth bags to decant your plane essentials on to. I'd also identified one bag which could be forwarded later as I wouldn't have paid the excess baggage fair.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

swinglow is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Suggestions for "expanding" a 20kg luggage allowance??

I'm an engineer @ Manchester Airport, just asked the same question of some colleagues from Singapore Airlines. If you are emigrating they will increase your allowance to 40kgs.

swinglow
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by swinglow
I'm an engineer @ Manchester Airport, just asked the same question of some colleagues from Singapore Airlines. If you are emigrating they will increase your allowance to 40kgs.

swinglow
Only if you've a permanent visa though.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:45 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sir Les Patterson
You'd better swot-up on the science of cloning I guess?