Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

suburbs of perth

suburbs of perth

Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

OZERJON is an unknown quantity at this point
Default suburbs of perth

I have just started to do some reserch into the suburbs of perth and was hoping somone could of us some advice as to what area is good and bad. I have been looking at YANGEBUP and it seems a nice area.

thanks

john
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice
Default Re: suburbs of perth

Hi

We really like Mindarie - about 40 km north of Perth. Try a search on this as plenty have posted before.

Good luck
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

OZERJON is an unknown quantity at this point

we like mindarie to. what are the schools like we have 2 kids both in secondary school in england.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OZERJON
I have just started to do some reserch into the suburbs of perth and was hoping somone could of us some advice as to what area is good and bad. I have been looking at YANGEBUP and it seems a nice area.

thanks

john
As has been said dozens of times on here, start with where you will be working before looking at where you want to live. If you work 40k south of the city and live 40k north of the city you'll be spending hours commuting every day.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
As has been said dozens of times on here, start with where you will be working before looking at where you want to live. If you work 40k south of the city and live 40k north of the city you'll be spending hours commuting every day.
Yeah but Mindarie isnt 40 ks from the CBD.....I live in Kinross, close to Mindarie. Takes half hour to get to city in rush hour
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Yeah but Mindarie isnt 40 ks from the CBD.....I live in Kinross, close to Mindarie. Takes half hour to get to city in rush hour
I know. I live in Clarkson. However, my comment was that if they are working in Canning Vale for example and living in Mindarie they're in for one hell of a commute. My husband had to do it yesterday - he was working in Canning Vale - and it took him more than 1.5 hours to get home. Thankfully there wasn't much traffic or it would have been a lot more.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

sidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nice

My sister has lived in Yangebup for 20 years and i think it is a nice area. Just far enough away from the city without being too far. It must be popular as when i first visited there were whole streets that were scrubland and apparently they are now all built up (and more besides!)
I really am a firm believer in one mans meat is another mans poison! Someone may find living in the middle of nowhere fantastic and living in town a nightmare and vice versa.
I am emigrating to Perth next month and i really dont want to live in a Pommie ghetto (nothing against Poms! I wouldnt want to live in a ghetto of any nationality!!!) BUT some people might want to and thats absolutely fine too.
SO, in answer to your question, go and hang out in an area for a couple of hours, see what you like and dont like and ask some of the locals at the shops or whatever. Believe me, when i moved in England, even to another part of a town, you very quickly get a flavour!
Good Luck.
Sidneee
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OZERJON

thanks

john
Personally I wouldn't live south of the river, Perth is often considered boring and living south of the river only compounds that feeling (Thats just my feeling - I'm not saying thats how you would find it).

I live in Scarborough and I love it. Loving the beach and having it so close is amazing. Spoilt for parks to use with my daughter. Good links for public transport (35 minutes by Bus/Train to CBD). 3 shopping malls within 10 minutes. Am lucky enough to have some really good local shops at the end of the street which is handy.

But what I've said about Scarborough pretty much applies to 85% of Perth suburbs. Really you should look at where you will be working and go from there. As far as housing go's... expensive by the beach getting cheaper as you go east (you'll get twice the bang for your buck 2 suburbs in from the beach) as a rule of thumb the mitchell freeway divides expensive house's to cheap houses.

And if you are commuting into CBD be careful if commute time is an issue for you - there is simple no way in rush hour that it only takes 30 minutes from somewhere like mindarie.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:09 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
Personally I wouldn't live south of the river, Perth is often considered boring and living south of the river only compounds that feeling (Thats just my feeling - I'm not saying thats how you would find it).

I live in Scarborough and I love it. Loving the beach and having it so close is amazing. Spoilt for parks to use with my daughter. Good links for public transport (35 minutes by Bus/Train to CBD). 3 shopping malls within 10 minutes. Am lucky enough to have some really good local shops at the end of the street which is handy.

But what I've said about Scarborough pretty much applies to 85% of Perth suburbs. Really you should look at where you will be working and go from there. As far as housing go's... expensive by the beach getting cheaper as you go east (you'll get twice the bang for your buck 2 suburbs in from the beach) as a rule of thumb the mitchell freeway divides expensive house's to cheap houses.

And if you are commuting into CBD be careful if commute time is an issue for you - there is simple no way in rush hour that it only takes 30 minutes from somewhere like mindarie.
We live SOR, 10 mins from Freo and 10 mins from the City (on a good day) 30 minutes plus in peak hour. I agree, doing Mindarie in 30 minutes in peak time traffic is impossible. How do I know? I work up that way and commute daily...
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
We live SOR, 10 mins from Freo and 10 mins from the City (on a good day) 30 minutes plus in peak hour. I agree, doing Mindarie in 30 minutes in peak time traffic is impossible. How do I know? I work up that way and commute daily...
Ok then not 30 mins from Mindarie but 32 minutes by train from Clarkson in rush hr and the same all day. Iv'e been travelling from Ridgewood to Burswood by the Freeway for the past year and it's never taken me longer than 43 minutes, leave the house at 6.02 and have never been later to work than 6.45, always have time for a cuppa before a 7 o'clock start 6 days a week

John
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Ok then not 30 mins from Mindarie but 32 minutes by train from Clarkson in rush hr and the same all day. Iv'e been travelling from Ridgewood to Burswood by the Freeway for the past year and it's never taken me longer than 43 minutes, leave the house at 6.02 and have never been later to work than 6.45, always have time for a cuppa before a 7 o'clock start 6 days a week

John
6:02! That's very precise

The public transport is really good here. I go from Scarborough to Osbourne Park, 2 buses and it takes 30 minutes if I catch the 2nd bus right. Although I'm cycling as well which is quicker (only 10 minutes slower than car) I just wish those massive dunes weren't there though
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:03 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

see this is the thing

you have asked a question with regard to subs in Perth

there are tons of them.......in every sub you will find someone that will sing its praises...

and someone that will shout it down

personally i wouldn't live anywhere but up here in the hills

but thats personal to me

I wouldn't even begin to start recommending you subs that i don't live in...i have heard good and bad from majority of them

Get here

Look about

Get a feel for the place

explore north and south of the river

Just because you know people who love Yangybup (sp) doesn't mean you will like it

Our good friends live in Roleystone.....love it

we don't .......

each to their own....

each sub is different

most have their own shopping centers and a major one within 20 min drive (or there abouts)

there you go

my 2 penny worth!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

6:02! That's very precise
Thats right and not a minute earlier or later my next door neighbour doesn't bother with her alarm clock anymore
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Littleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really nice

[QUOTE=nickyjohnt;6704553]Ok then not 30 mins from Mindarie but 32 minutes by train from Clarkson in rush hr and the same all day. Iv'e been travelling from Ridgewood to Burswood by the Freeway for the past year and it's never taken me longer than 43 minutes, leave the house at 6.02 and have never been later to work than 6.45, always have time for a cuppa before a 7 o'clock start 6 days a week

John,

I note you work in Burswood. My new job is on Burswood Rd near the BMW garage (the wonders of google earth street view), do you travel through to burswood station or do you catch the bus from the esplanade area?

I am keen to know as the Transperth Journey planner is showing a 90min commute from Currambine.

Thank you in advance for any help

Kevin