Reload this Page >

Suburbs north of Brisbane

Suburbs north of Brisbane

Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:01 pm

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suburbs north of Brisbane

Coast and country
Opinions please, those bored of posting the same old *&^$ need not reply

I've searched threads too but alot go a few years back and I want an up to date opinion.

Please feel free to post pics etc.
Not in a position to do a reccie unfortunately, as we have no one to look after the kids and a return reccie for 6 - well you can imagine the costs

WHoopsie I'm in the wrong place would you be so kind as to move me over moderators please x

Last edited by Jensanco; Aug 4th 2011 at 1:03 pm. Reason: doh
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suburbs north of Brisbane

Originally Posted by Jensanco
Coast and country
Opinions please, those bored of posting the same old *&^$ need not reply

I've searched threads too but alot go a few years back and I want an up to date opinion.

Please feel free to post pics etc.
Not in a position to do a reccie unfortunately, as we have no one to look after the kids and a return reccie for 6 - well you can imagine the costs

WHoopsie I'm in the wrong place would you be so kind as to move me over moderators please x
How far north?? I mean technically Windsor is north of Brisbane (City) but is only 10/15 minutes out by bus....... Cairns on the other hand is a bit further, but is still called a suburb. (Not sure what its a suburb of, Innisfail maybe...... )
Do you mean kind of North Lakes/Burpengary/Redcliffe type of north??
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
How far north?? I mean technically Windsor is north of Brisbane (City) but is only 10/15 minutes out by bus....... Cairns on the other hand is a bit further, but is still called a suburb. (Not sure what its a suburb of, Innisfail maybe...... )
Do you mean kind of North Lakes/Burpengary/Redcliffe type of north??
Ahh yes I see the predicament now

Shall we say anything as South as Kallangur and as far north as Caloundra?
Would be very helpful thank you x
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:28 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need to commute to Brisbane?

Do you have jobs lined up? Or do you have an idea of where you might work (i.e. a certain hospital or something)?

There are lots of great places - my pick would be the Sunshine Coast - IF you can secure work there. I'd live there myself if my job would move - but would never subject myself to the commute to Brisbane from there!

I love Mooloolabah, Currimundi and everywhere in between. There are lots of excellent places to live up there - good schools too. Jobs seem to be a bit harder to come by though - depending on your skills/trade.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:32 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh yes I see the predicament now

Shall we say anything as South as Kallangur and as far north as Caloundra?
Would be very helpful thank you x
Seeing as you've gone as far north as caloundra you really should be including buderim (which is slightly further North). I reckon these are the best spots in order of personal preference:

Buderim
Caloundra
Scarborough
Woody point
Redcliffe
Bribie Island

You might be wondering why I've only put a handful of suburbs on the list. If you look on a map you will see the Sunshine Coast, then Brisbane approx 80km to the south, then the Gold Coast approx 80km further to the south. The area you describe is midway between Brisbane and the sunshine coast. On the other side of Brisbane is also an area "midway" between Brisbane and the gold coast. It would be fair to say that neither of these areas are the greatest places on earth. That's not to say that you can't find some lovely spots in either of them.

As you've given Caloundra as your Northern limit, I will assume that your family needs to be in close proximity to Brisbane for work reasons.... Please correct me if I'm wrong because that certainly opens up several other options for you, there are some great places to live on the sunshine coast.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by asprilla
Seeing as you've gone as far north as caloundra you really should be including buderim (which is slightly further North). I reckon these are the best spots in order of personal preference:

Buderim
Caloundra
Scarborough
Woody point
Redcliffe
Bribie Island

You might be wondering why I've only put a handful of suburbs on the list. If you look on a map you will see the Sunshine Coast, then Brisbane approx 80km to the south, then the Gold Coast approx 80km further to the south. The area you describe is midway between Brisbane and the sunshine coast. On the other side of Brisbane is also an area "midway" between Brisbane and the gold coast. It would be fair to say that neither of these areas are the greatest places on earth. That's not to say that you can't find some lovely spots in either of them.

As you've given Caloundra as your Northern limit, I will assume that your family needs to be in close proximity to Brisbane for work reasons.... Please correct me if I'm wrong because that certainly opens up several other options for you, there are some great places to live on the sunshine coast.
Hi thanks for replies.
These are just the areas we are currently looking at - it is doubtful hubby would actually work in the CBD as he is a maintenance engineer who has mostly worked in manufacturing so the areas were based on a couple of companies he could potentially work for in and around Strathpine.
The Sunshine Coast does look nice and having done a rental property search just out of interest the properties generally look good and many look reasonably priced to us.
We did get a heads up that there isn't as much work sunshine coast way for him but it would be a pleasant surprise if something did come up.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 9:03 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Working around Strathpine and living at Caloundra means you will be commuting on the Bruce Highway each day - along with a few hundred thousand others. You could come by train, but the railway runs up the inland side of the Bruce and trains run infrequently north of Caboolture: change at Northgate for the Strathpine line.

By the way, places like Redcliffe, Bribie, and areas north would feel insulted to be referred to as 'suburbs of Brisbane'.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Working around Strathpine and living at Caloundra means you will be commuting on the Bruce Highway each day - along with a few hundred thousand others. You could come by train, but the railway runs up the inland side of the Bruce and trains run infrequently north of Caboolture: change at Northgate for the Strathpine line.
We have found that even in Australia hubby would be most likely working shifts 8 or 12 hour - so not sure of how much the hundred thousand other commuter traffic will affect
By the way, places like Redcliffe, Bribie, and areas north would feel insulted to be referred to as 'suburbs of Brisbane'.
I didn't realise Australians were as easy to offend as people in the UK, though I would like to point out knowing a few Aussies, who had not been to Norfolk (where I live) they referred to where we live as a suburb/ town just north of London.
Very kind of you to point out my obvious unfamiliarity with Brisbane and 'other areas', having never been there before it's very hard to 'know all'. Maybe we'll get it right when we get settled in our new life or maybe we'll just forever be ignorant poms to the complexities of using the right synomyms
An this is about as tactful as I can be after having only had about 12 hours sleep all week
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

We used to live in Burpengary that's north of Brisbane about 15 to 20 mins on the train to straithpine & about the same distance by car, I loved living there, it's very small village type of area, it has small shopping area but all the 4 major supermarkets are there plus loads of other corner shops, we were about 10 min drive from Redcliffe, about 35 mins to coloundra 40 mins drive to Brisbane or 50 mins on the train.
It has good schools around & generally it has a nice feel about it.

Last edited by chris and farideh; Aug 7th 2011 at 3:04 am.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

Buderim
Caloundra
Scarborough
Woody point
Redcliffe
Bribie Island

I'd go with Buderim or Woody Point out of those
Old Aug 8th 2011, 5:06 pm

Thank you. All being duley noted.

Farideh what took you to NSW?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 9:54 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

An this is about as tactful as I can be after having only had about 12 hours sleep all week
Maybe 'insulted' is too strong! The point is that Brisbane is unique among the capital cities in that the entire metropolitan area is under one council - in all the others the Lord Mayor and council is only responsible for a small area around the CBD and all the suburbs are grouped into separate council areas. For example, when we lived at Blackwood in South Australia we were in what was known as the Adelaide metropolitan area but in Mitcham council area.

So unlike other capitals, the entire metro area is Brisbane, and the outlying councils (Redlands, Logan, Moreton Bay, etc) are very protective of their independence.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Maybe 'insulted' is too strong! The point is that Brisbane is unique among the capital cities in that the entire metropolitan area is under one council - in all the others the Lord Mayor and council is only responsible for a small area around the CBD and all the suburbs are grouped into separate council areas. For example, when we lived at Blackwood in South Australia we were in what was known as the Adelaide metropolitan area but in Mitcham council area.

So unlike other capitals, the entire metro area is Brisbane, and the outlying councils (Redlands, Logan, Moreton Bay, etc) are very protective of their independence.
We all live and learn, in NSW I was always a little confused that some areas were referred to as shires and others not far from those as suburbs - I was told there was a difference tho I never understood really what that was
I'm still learning, not sure i'm doing a good job of the living at the mo but thats a whole other story LOL
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

I recently had the misfortune to commute from Woody Point to the CBD for 3 days. Tooke getting on for 2 hours! God knows what it was like before the new bridge was built. Don't make the mistake of thinking that inner northern suburbs are like inner-city areas. You can be 5-8km out from the CBD and it will feel quite rural.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. All being duley noted.

Farideh what took you to NSW?
Hubby had a promotion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.