Reload this Page >

Suburbs in Melbourne

Suburbs in Melbourne

Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Leeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suburbs in Melbourne

Hi,

We have just recently been granted our permanent visa's and are looking to move to Melbourne early next year. We've never been before and are going on a fact finding trip at the end of next month. While we are out there we want to look at potential areas to live as well as primary schools for the kids.

Has anybody got any suggestions for good suburbs that we should be looking at. We want to be relatively near the main train routes and not too far out from central Melbourne (about an hour at most).

TIA

Lee Oliphant
Old Sep 27th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Re: Suburbs in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Leeo
Hi,

We have just recently been granted our permanent visa's and are looking to move to Melbourne early next year. We've never been before and are going on a fact finding trip at the end of next month. While we are out there we want to look at potential areas to live as well as primary schools for the kids.

Has anybody got any suggestions for good suburbs that we should be looking at. We want to be relatively near the main train routes and not too far out from central Melbourne (about an hour at most).

TIA

Lee Oliphant
Please can you give us a clue what you're looking for. There are many threads on this subject already but it would help if you'd specify coastal or country, large blocks or near excellent transport, modern estates or established neighbourhoods, what time you'd be travelling to the city and whether by car of looking for bus/rail system.

I highly recommend our area (Donvale, Park Orchards, Warrandyte) with excellent schools (public and private) because it suits us and I don't often use the public transport (which is great but you have to drive a few minutes to the station) but it wouldn't do at all for the coastal brigade or city champions.

Have great fun investigating the area and get yourself a good map.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Suburbs in Melbourne

Hi,

TIA

Lee Oliphant
How long are you in Melbourne for? There are always meets going on - I am going to 2 when I'm out there - here's one of them if you're still there 2nd Dec -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398390.

Buzzy
Old Sep 27th 2006, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Newbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant future

I came across this forum - seems like it is mainly ExPats in Victoria and the majority is about Melbourne.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?

hope it helps

Regards
Alan

Hi,

TIA

Lee Oliphant
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by flip
Please can you give us a clue what you're looking for. There are many threads on this subject already but it would help if you'd specify coastal or country, large blocks or near excellent transport, modern estates or established neighbourhoods, what time you'd be travelling to the city and whether by car of looking for bus/rail system.

I highly recommend our area (Donvale, Park Orchards, Warrandyte) with excellent schools (public and private) because it suits us and I don't often use the public transport (which is great but you have to drive a few minutes to the station) but it wouldn't do at all for the coastal brigade or city champions.

Have great fun investigating the area and get yourself a good map.
We are looking for somewhere that's not too near the city and not too remote. With good schools and amenities. Looking at Donvale on the map it looks in an ideal position! How far is it from the nearest station? I would probably be travelling during the rush hour and using the trains.

We don't mind whether it an established neighbourhood or a modern estate. But are looking for somewhere where the kids can play outside and integrate with other children.

I'm in IT so I think my best chance for a job is in the CBD.

Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
How long are you in Melbourne for? There are always meets going on - I am going to 2 when I'm out there - here's one of them if you're still there 2nd Dec -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398390.

Buzzy
We are in Melbourne from the 25th October and are staying for 6 days, so it will be a bit of a rush! Then we're off to Sydney for the touristy bit of the holiday! Couldn't see any 'meet ups' for that time but if anyobdy knows any different please let me know!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:37 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking for somewhere that's not too near the city and not too remote. With good schools and amenities. Looking at Donvale on the map it looks in an ideal position! How far is it from the nearest station? I would probably be travelling during the rush hour and using the trains.

We don't mind whether it an established neighbourhood or a modern estate. But are looking for somewhere where the kids can play outside and integrate with other children.

Thanks
For details about trains:
http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

and try http://www.whereis.com.au for information about travelling by car or where suburbs are located.

Generally all suburbs are within easy reach of public transport, good schools etc. Nearer the sea prices are more expensive as to the closer to the CBD.

Along with the motorways there are also alot of "highways" - think of dual carriageways with lots of sets of lights (in some places they run with 3 or 4 lanes. Suggest getting hold of a Melway to get yourself familar.

Kiwi
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Newbie_Al
I came across this forum - seems like it is mainly ExPats in Victoria and the majority is about Melbourne.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?

hope it helps

Regards
Alan
Thanks Alan very good site lots of useful threads!!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thebears
For details about trains:
http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

and try http://www.whereis.com.au for information about travelling by car or where suburbs are located.

Generally all suburbs are within easy reach of public transport, good schools etc. Nearer the sea prices are more expensive as to the closer to the CBD.

Along with the motorways there are also alot of "highways" - think of dual carriageways with lots of sets of lights (in some places they run with 3 or 4 lanes. Suggest getting hold of a Melway to get yourself familar.

Kiwi
Excellent thanks both very good links!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

http://www3.visitvictoria.com/displa...047C/vvt.vhtml

When you visit make sure you do go down as far as Frankston, Langwarrin, Mt.Eliza, Mornington & Mt.Martha which are all located on the Mornington Peninsula.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of the most useful public transport maps I have ever found as it gives you some indication on travel times from different places
Attached Thumbnails Suburbs in Melbourne-melbourn.png  
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Suburbs in Melbourne

Thanks Teliko, fantastic as your usual posts.

BTW, I recently got it and selecting our suburb in Melb. ( The toughest thing!)

Tnx

Originally Posted by Teliko21
This is one of the most useful public transport maps I have ever found as it gives you some indication on travel times from different places
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Thanks Teliko, fantastic as your usual posts.

BTW, I recently got it and selecting our suburb in Melb. ( The toughest thing!)

Tnx
Thanks and congrats on getting the visa at last
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate hope to meet you there
Am looking for a suburb with the best piblic transport, shops,low level of crime and newly built houses! AND of course cheap prices

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Thanks and congrats on getting the visa at last
Old Sep 28th 2006, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Thanks
Hi, proximity to train station depends on where you live in the suburb. Mitcham's our nearest and only 4 or 5 minutes by car. There's also a pretty good bus route just a couple of minutes away which drops you off on Collins Street (nearer to most offices than the trains and takes only a few minutes longer).

In all the Melbourne suburbs there are lovely play areas where kids play and grown-ups get to know each other.

As for schools, our kids are going to North Ringwood Primary School (http://www.ringwoodnorthps.vic.edu.au/). We're really pleased as it's great academically, socially and with extra-curricular stuff. Donvale is also close to very good Catholic schools (Whitefriars for boys high school and St Annes primary school) which are cheaper than private but offer that private feel. Apparently you don't have to be Catholic but may have to join a waiting list.

Out of interest how old are your kids?

CBD will have the most vacancies but people work in IT all over. Maybe Box Hill and Ringwood would have positions. Have you asked people yet to advise you of agencies to forward your cv to? Would you want to spend time on your reccie at interviews?

By the way, Melbourne Cup Day is Tuesday November 6 so everywhere non-touristy (schools, offices, etc. will be shut on that day) you may already have left? but many people take the long weekend off and some schools have a curriculum day on the Friday before. Just letting you know in case it affects some of your plans.

Flip

Last edited by flip; Sep 28th 2006 at 7:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.