Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suburbs of Brisbane

Suburbs of Brisbane

Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:32 pm
PJA
Forum Regular

PJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant future
Default Suburbs of Brisbane

My family and I are just abouit to start the visa process in order to emigrate. We are looking at Brisbane and have been told that the suburbs of Redcliffe and Jindalee are great places to live. Can anyone let me know anything about these areas and/or others of note. Thanks.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future
Default Re: Suburbs of Brisbane

Originally Posted by PJA
My family and I are just abouit to start the visa process in order to emigrate. We are looking at Brisbane and have been told that the suburbs of Redcliffe and Jindalee are great places to live. Can anyone let me know anything about these areas and/or others of note. Thanks.
I can't help I'm afraid, but there have been lots of similar posts on here. Try doing a search.
Michelle
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PJA
Ah its the Brisbane suburb question again, it must have been all of a month since the last time

Seriously though, if you know of a particular suburb, do a search on it and you will be inundated with information from previous posts.

Be warned though, there is a lot of bad press on Redcliffe (it's also known as Deadcliffe), I have been told to ignore those comments though and see it for myself. Which I suppose applied to all suburbs.

I'm not speaking from experince yet as we don't arrive until June, once I arrive then I shall do a full report on different suburbs including Redcliffe.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:35 pm
Here and loving it!

cheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Ah its the Brisbane suburb question again, it must have been all of a month since the last time

Seriously though, if you know of a particular suburb, do a search on it and you will be inundated with information from previous posts.

Be warned though, there is a lot of bad press on Redcliffe (it's also known as Deadcliffe), I have been told to ignore those comments though and see it for myself. Which I suppose applied to all suburbs.

I'm not speaking from experince yet as we don't arrive until June, once I arrive then I shall do a full report on different suburbs including Redcliffe.

Actually I've heard that Redcliffe/Scarborough are the next really big thing! House prices are reportedly rising and there are lots of new waterfront housing being built.

But I'm not there yet either so I shall have to ditto Manxfamily and post a report when we get there

BTW why is it known as 'Deadcliffe'? Not heard that one at all.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

kaka1964 is on a distinguished road

Thought Redcliffe wasnt up to much after visiting in Feb 06, bit run down lookin.....Jindalee not sure of..... In from the coast a bit, Bracken Ridge, with a lot of new builds being rented out at reasonable cost, seemed appealing..easy access to city too.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:10 pm
Here and loving it!

cheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaka1964
Thought Redcliffe wasnt up to much after visiting in Feb 06, bit run down lookin.....Jindalee not sure of..... In from the coast a bit, Bracken Ridge, with a lot of new builds being rented out at reasonable cost, seemed appealing..easy access to city too.

Yes, I've been thinking about Bracken Ridge too, maybe Bald hills or Petrie also?

The question I need to ask from anyone living at the coast is.............. are there a lot of tourist and holiday makers passing through? and does that make it seem like Brighton here (UK) or Benidorm etc. ?

I'm worried as I have twins approaching their teens (one of each) and I don't want them mixing with tourists (getting heartbroken etc.( lots of other etc's here, if you know what I mean??))
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

racquet is an unknown quantity at this point

I work at Redcliffe,nice people, a lot of expats in the area, I sell cars (no exaggeration maybe 1 afortnight to expats) .It's like any area, it has its good parts and not so good parts - it is going ahead in leaps & bounds ,gets a beautiful sea breeze in the afternoons, something you will appreciate in summer - cheers, Paul

Originally Posted by PJA
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cheri-pie
BTW why is it known as 'Deadcliffe'? Not heard that one at all.
Because it used to be a quiet sleepy seaside town, with lots of retired people.

Not sure what it is like now, but we see plenty of young kids and families enjoying themselves at the New Lagoon there.

A few redcliffe photos at photos-redcliffe

Population wise, at 2001, 27% of Redcliffe were over 60, compared to 17% State wide.
The 2006 figures will be interesting to see later this year.

Some comments from some of the 1.2 million tourists that visit Redcliffe each year:
Things they liked about Redcliffe included:
the beach (46.8%),
atmosphere/scenery/views (41.1%),
picnic areas/playgrounds/parks (32.3%),
lagoon (22.8%),
cafes/restaurants (16.1%) and
good walking/cycling (15.5%)
http://www.redcliffe.qld.gov.au/about_us.htm

Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:56 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PJA
Redcliffe - you will either love it or hate it. You really really need to go there to find out which. Pictures do not prepare you for it. Do a search, you will find lots of threads about it, both for and against.

Jindalee - one of the Centenary suburbs. I.e. the Centenary highway runs alongside it. Really just a big housing estate. Has a golf course and a Homemaker Centre (retail park). Nice enough if you like housing estates but can't think why it would be described as great.

Jane
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheri-pie
Actually I've heard that Redcliffe/Scarborough are the next really big thing!
How long is it now Mrs D that Redcliffe was going to be the big thing?

WW
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
How long is it now Mrs D that Redcliffe was going to be the big thing?

WW
LOL, Im not going to comment cos all I ever get is grief when I comment on suburbs .
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
LOL, Im not going to comment cos all I ever get is grief when I comment on suburbs .
Aw, go on.......
WW
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Aw, go on.......
WW

So what's this I read that you are in Cairns now?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

So what's this I read that you are in Cairns now?
Time for a change. Brisbane is too cold and over-crowded now!

I'm still having trouble adjusting to a Cairns traffic jamb though.

At least I wont have an excess water bill this quarter. Nor have to drain the pool.

WW
Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Jadea will become famous soon enoughJadea will become famous soon enough

This is my first post in this forum. Please excuse my english, I'm still learning

You've mentioned Petrie: It is nice and it's got most things you'll need (including Petrie market, each wednesday - or was it friday?- really nice), but I couldn't see myself living there. As for the housing prices, look at raywhite.com to get an idea.

I prefer Samford, which is a nice rural place, only about 20 min. away from Brisbane, but houses can be real expensive there.

Personally I don't really like Redcliffe (even though it is pretty close to Moreton Island and Moreton Bay, where you can see whales and dolphins )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.