Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which suburb to live in Brisbane

Which suburb to live in Brisbane

Old Nov 20th 2015, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Belle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Which suburb to live in Brisbane

I've family in Mount Gravatt East and the Goldcoast, not that I'm particular looking to live that close to them but more importantly my son will be going to Brisbane Boys College in Toowong.
I want a nice suburb that's no more than a 20 min drive to school. I've heard about rush hour traffic so want to avoid this as much as possible.
At weekends we want to get to a surfing beach, north or south I've no preference.
I don't want to live anywhere near a flood risk area either. Any suggestions for an easy commute to Toowong?
Old Nov 20th 2015, 10:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which suburb to live in Brisbane

Hello and welcome to the forum

I've shifted your post from the Welcome Inn to the Australia section as your question is quite specific to Aus. Hopefully someone can help you out.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 8:16 am
Just Joined

benflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nice

My son goes to BBC and we live in Graceville - it's beautiful and fits your criteria well :-)
Old Nov 21st 2015, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Belle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond repute

How does your son find BBC? Did he intergrate OK and at what age?
Old Nov 21st 2015, 9:43 am
Just Joined

benflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nice

It was a tough step up from the state school in terms of their expectations for him but he has settled in well now. He is happy there. He's in year 8 next year and has been there since year 5.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

My son is currently in year 8 here in the UK. depending on his test results he will either go into year 9 or repeat year 8.
I'd prefer year 8 myself, but we are looking at Jan 2017 entry.

I'm pleased to hear there was some adjustment in terms of expectations. My son is in the private system and not too sure on Aussie schools standards.
Saying that, currently my son finishes 6pm every night plus has Saturday school so anything less than that will be a welcome relieve!

We are visiting BBC in Febuary, anything to look at in particular?

Am glad your son is happy there! I hope my boy will be too.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

I would just advise you look in the Toowong, Taringa, Chelmer, Graceville areas whilst here for somewhere to live (i'm sure you plan to). Renting first seems the way to go, then you'll know you like the area you choose.

As for BBC, their tour will show you everything.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

I will take a note of the areas. Yes plan to do a lot of looking in February.
What's Chapel Hill like, also Kendra?
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Belle121
I will take a note of the areas. Yes plan to do a lot of looking in February.
What's Chapel Hill like, also Kendra?
Did you mean Kenmore possibly ?
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Belle121
I've family in Mount Gravatt East and the Goldcoast, not that I'm particular looking to live that close to them but more importantly my son will be going to Brisbane Boys College in Toowong.
I want a nice suburb that's no more than a 20 min drive to school. I've heard about rush hour traffic so want to avoid this as much as possible.
At weekends we want to get to a surfing beach, north or south I've no preference.
I don't want to live anywhere near a flood risk area either. Any suggestions for an easy commute to Toowong?
Is a 20 minute drive to BBC your only transport requirement ? eg Will your son cycle or take public transport to school at all ? Do you need public transport access to the city centre ?

As you know the beaches are north and south so where you live (north or south of the river) will usually just make one shorter and the other longer.

Do you have any other preferences for the type of area you would like to live in, the style of houses you like (modern, character etc), the access to facilities, cafes, mountains, quietness/excitement ?

Anywhere near a flood risk ? How far ? Often some known streets will flood in a riverside suburb but others near by wouldn't flood in 1000 years. It is advisable to avoid those pockets that flood but you don't need to go far from them to be totally safe from it.

Last edited by fish.01; Nov 22nd 2015 at 4:28 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi Fish,

Currently, yes the commute to school will be the only commute until I find employment. I may pick up work in the cbr but then again, could be anywhere the end of the day.
Public transport to school would be a bonus, no to riding a bike... I know it's the done thing in Aus but don't think my nerves would take it!

I'm not fond of older houses so if anything will look for a newer house. Something with a bit of space around it. I do like the mountains but then again I'm worried about bush fires.
Have experienced the devastation many years ago when I was living in Gosford.
So as well as worrying about my house burning down, I just don't want it to flood either so not necessarily that far away from flood areas, just don't want to be in a flood risk street.

Somewhere where there will be cafes, few shops not too isolated.

My son loves to surf so no doubt we will hit the beaches at the weekend, north or south I have no preference.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

The places i mentioned are either walkable or 2-3 train stops from BBC. My son catches the train and it makes everything easier.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Chapel Hill is a nice place but would be a bus or drive to BBC.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by benflux
The places i mentioned are either walkable or 2-3 train stops from BBC. My son catches the train and it makes everything easier.
Yes, all great suburbs, I would even add Auchenflower to the list. The only issue is they are pre-1945 character home suburbs and Belle121 said he doesn't like older homes. Though maybe some of the beautifully renovated examples would be suitable ?

If not might need to head towards Kenmore/Chapel Hill for a 1970s onwards home though it takes you off the train line.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

WilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud of

Sorry to railroad in to your topic but.... I've been looking at NW Brisbane, mainly "The Gap" as that is where my dad stays, what is that area like? Any others in the vicinity that could be recommended?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.