Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

which suburb in brisbane ticks all our boxes?

which suburb in brisbane ticks all our boxes?

Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Dippy Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Question which suburb in brisbane ticks all our boxes?

Hi All,
We are in the process of applying for our visa and hoping to be over within the next 6 months but struggling to decide on which area of brisbane to live in.
My OH is a maintenance engineer/fitter and i will be hoping to open a coffee shop/smoothie bar when we are settled. We have 2 kids (3 and 7yrs old)

Our Wish list is

1/ Good catchment areas for schools
2/ Friendly community
3/ Close to industrial areas for partners work (but not too close)
4/ Local activities for the kids
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:37 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which suburb in brisbane ticks all our boxes?

Tricky one Donna ! welcome to the site by the way.

You might not be getting many responses simply because it's a hard question to answer !

1) schools - this is a tricky one, as one person's "good school" might be another one's bad school. The best advice I can give, is to read all the threads on here that talk about Brisbane schools. Afterwards, you might have 3 or 4 to work on, and you can stick a pin in them on the map.

2) friendly community - again another hard one to measure, I reckon. I live in the city, and the people in my building are very friendly.

3) Industrial areas - I don't know too much about this I'm afraid...sorry.

4) local activities for kids - There are sporting activities practically everywhere so you'll be fine there.

Sorry, I haven't really been much help, hopefully some other folks will do better !!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:47 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Donna,

Just wanted to say welcome to the site, and if you haven't done so already you could also try checking out the Brisbane page in the wiki.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:04 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dippy Donna
Hi All,
We are in the process of applying for our visa and hoping to be over within the next 6 months but struggling to decide on which area of brisbane to live in.
My OH is a maintenance engineer/fitter and i will be hoping to open a coffee shop/smoothie bar when we are settled. We have 2 kids (3 and 7yrs old)

Our Wish list is

1/ Good catchment areas for schools
2/ Friendly community
3/ Close to industrial areas for partners work (but not too close)
4/ Local activities for the kids

1. Manly is a good school, but need to be in the catchment area.
2. Manly or other bay suburbs are freindly, Wynnum, Lota, Manly, manly west.
3. Tough as the industrial areas are normally nowhere near items 1 and 2, however Murrarrie is within 8 k's of Manly but limited work, most industrial areas are southwest of the city, Archerfield, darra, wacol etc.
4. Bayside has it all.

Obviously Manly is a very expensive suburb, due to all of ther above being desireable.

Happy hunting.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

We live in Thornlands which is on the Bayside and hubby is a maintenance fitter and works at Rocklea which is South side of Brisbane takes about 35 minutes drive. There is a small industrial area in Cleveland which is close by, but most of the large industry is on the South Side of Brisbane. You also need to consider other factors ie; how close to coast, local attractions, CBD etc
Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Dippy Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your replys. I was thinking about manly west and wynnum west. Any positive or negative feedback for these areas would be greatfully appreciated. We dont really want to be too close to the hustle and bustle of the CBD.
My son loves his football (soccer) and we would like to settle him in to normality as soon as we get there and hopefully get him into a team. Are there many teams or opportunities in the area or brisbane on a whole.

Thanks Donna xx
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Hi Donna,
Has Brisben said previous Manly is an expensive area, as for reasons he quoted. Lovely place especially on Sunday when they have there markets on the esplanade over looking the waters of Moreton Bay.
Other areas that maybe of interest on the Bayside where properties are not as expensive:
Wellington Point
Ormiston
Birkdale
Cleveland
Thornlands
Victoria Point
Redland Bay
All close to waters edge of Moreton Bay, again as always, personal preference. Good luck with your search
Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:24 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spadgersdad
Hi Donna,
Has Brisben said previous Manly is an expensive area, as for reasons he quoted. Lovely place especially on Sunday when they have there markets on the esplanade over looking the waters of Moreton Bay.
Other areas that maybe of interest on the Bayside where properties are not as expensive:
Wellington Point
Ormiston
Birkdale
Cleveland
Thornlands
Victoria Point
Redland Bay
All close to waters edge of Moreton Bay, again as always, personal preference. Good luck with your search

Some good choices there. Wynnum and Manly west are nice, Wynnum west is close to the gateway motorway so good for commuting.

In my opinion after living in Wynnum West I find it quite busy, however they have everything you need. There is a new development there opposite the shopping centre, where you can buy brand new off the plan properties for under 500k. Small blocks but new and very central.

In my opinion the follwoing apply to the above.

Wellington Point- Very nice
Ormiston - Very nice
Birkdale - very nice
Cleveland - New and very modern but more crime than others.
Thornlands - Too far from CBD and poor road access make it bad commute.
Victoria Point - Too far away again from central areas.
Redland Bay - Too far away again.

I find if you want to be central to CBD, Old Cleveland road you need to be close to it, Alexandra hills and capalaba are cheaper suburbs, however Birkdale is very quiet and property is reasonably priced considering the market, I would prefer Wellington point, birkdale over wynnum west myself.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:26 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Cleveland last week at the grandview hotel, food was good (a little pricey for a pub though) beer was good, very busy in there. They had a jazz band playing out in the garden. Went to Cleveland point and it was extremely busy...it was like a big carpark!

We had a drive around Raby Bay - I thought there were some restaurants/shops there ? but it was just big houses. Where are the restaurants in Cleveland located?

We drove back to the CBD, all the way along old cleveland road. It was sunday afternoon and took 45mins. I wasn't exactly crawling along either. So I would imagine that the peak time commute would be at least one hour by car.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:54 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Ok, time for a plug for the western suburbs such as Oxley, Sherwood, and Corinda. There are some really good schools (both state and private) and lots of local activity groups for kids (and adults ) ranging from playgroups through to sports clubs (including football). Some excellent parks, playing fields and other facilities like public swimming pools ('cause not everyone subscribes to having a pool in the backyard!) Close to light industrial areas such as Rocklea, Archerfield, Goodna and the Ipswich corridor, and easy access to other industrial areas in the southern suburbs such as Logan. All on the train line for easy CBD access as well, and good bus services. About 45 mins to the northern Gold Coast beaches and the same to bayside areas like Wynnum and Manly (although longer in rush hour).
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ridds
Ok, time for a plug for the western suburbs such as Oxley, Sherwood, and Corinda.

Also for the inner western suburbs such as Toowong, Taringa, Indooroopilly, Kenmore, St. Lucia etc.

For some reason these rarely get a mention but are all good places to live and very convenient for the city.

G
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:29 am
Born to be wild....

Originally Posted by Grayling
Also for the inner western suburbs such as Toowong, Taringa, Indooroopilly, Kenmore, St. Lucia etc.

For some reason these rarely get a mention but are all good places to live and very convenient for the city.

G
True but also pricey. I suppose budget somewhat dictates where to live..
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
True but also pricey. I suppose budget somewhat dictates where to live..
Indeed.....but places like Wynnum are not exactly cheap....in fact many suburbs are getting pretty expensive

G
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:43 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

We rented in Taringa when we first arrived and I liked the place I would also recommend anywhere on the Ipswich line between Auchenflower and Oxley. The drive in from that area of town was usually not a great experience (but then again where is) but we used the trains which were great.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
We rented in Taringa when we first arrived and I liked the place I would also recommend anywhere on the Ipswich line between Auchenflower and Oxley. The drive in from that area of town was usually not a great experience (but then again where is) but we used the trains which were great.
Given the amount of roadworks the traffic is a nightmare, at certain times of the day, anywhere near the city.

At least where we are we have the choice of the city cat, bus or train.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.