Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

which suburb of brisbane??

which suburb of brisbane??

Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:33 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Question which suburb of brisbane??

We are in the final stages of our application,and hopefully will receive it around sept04.
We are hoping to live somewhere south of Brisbane,and have been searching all the usual real estate web sites for prices of houses to rent.
We have a budget of around $220 a week max for somewhere.
I will probably be working in the CBD as i am an Electrician(leannes other half).
Like every where you go there are always "rough" areas, and was just wondering if anyone has any known places which we should avoid so we can narrow our search?
We`ve been looking around the Logan area(Springwood,Slacks creek etc)and the prices seem ok for us.
I was also recently there on a scouting mission and they seem quiet areas but i was there only a couple of days.
We want to rent somewhere where we can get our 6 year old daughter in at school and then when we do buy hopefully keep her at the same school without uprooting her by staying in the same area.
Any Feedback would be greatfully appreciated.

I applied on a skilled independent 136 visa and done the medicals etc.

Looks like my beloved Leeds Utd have put the final nail in the coffin

Last edited by Darren&Leanne; Apr 26th 2004 at 9:39 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:38 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which suburb of brisbane??

Originally posted by leannefr
We are in the final stages of our application,and hopefully will receive it around sept04.
We are hoping to live somewhere south of Brisbane,and have been searching all the usual real estate web sites for prices of houses to rent.
We have a budget of around $220 a week max for somewhere.
I will probably be working in the CBD as i am an Electrician(leannes other half).
Like every where you go there are always "rough" areas, and was just wondering if anyone has any known places which we should avoid so we can narrow our search?
We`ve been looking around the Logan area(Springwood,Slacks creek etc)and the prices seem ok for us.
I was also recently there on a scouting mission and they seem quiet areas but i was there only a couple of days.
We want to rent somewhere where we can get our 6 year old daughter in at school and then when we do buy hopefully keep her at the same school without uprooting her by staying in the same area.
Any Feedback would be greatfully appreciated.

I applied on a skilled independent 136 visa and done the medicals etc.

Looks like my beloved Leeds Utd have put the final nail in the coffin
Your best bet is to do a search on this forum for 'brisbane suburbs'. I've seen it discussed recently. Also check out www.ourbrisbane.com
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:42 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by wmoore
Your best bet is to do a search on this forum for 'brisbane suburbs'. I've seen it discussed recently. Also check out www.ourbrisbane.com
I think this is one of the more recent discussions on this topic

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=225419
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:53 pm
Not two zombies

Mongrol will become famous soon enough
I lived in Kingston (same area) for 3 years around 1980. Slacks Creek, Kingston, Springwood etc were reasonable areas at the time, probably not changed much either from what I hear. Though there was some chemical accident of sorts there a few years ago which prompted a big cleanup (houses being knocked down) in Kingston. Next suburb along is Woodridge which is a bit more downmarket notable by the abundance the Australian equivilant of a satellite dish, the 3 foot round K-Mart swimming pool.

I went to Mabel Park Primary, decent enough school and then Kingston High, again a decent enough school, even if it was not actually in Kingston and took 2k's on the bike to get there. Can't wait to go back and see if my old house is still there. At 20+ km from the city its a bit far out but real handy for jumping on to the Pacific Highway for a daytrip to Surfers.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 10:07 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple of very useful threads to read, many many opinions on various areas & suburbs of Brisbane.

Anybody know Brisbane?

Where to live in Brisbane - opinions - make sure you download the document in the first post, thats where the good info is, not in the fishing discussion that the post slides into .

And if you want an opinion on Logan (well mainly my opinion plus dottys ) you can have a look at this thread. Logan city .

It really does show how different peoples perceptions of an area can be.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Nige37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
We are also going to Brisbane Oct/Nov and are looking at suburbs, we have 2 children and live in Leeds but i work near Wakefield and i'm a Leeds fan, small world eh.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 3:39 am
Just Joined

LeaB is an unknown quantity at this point

You may want to check with other electricians, but I would be surprised if you found work specifically in the CBD unless it's on a building site (temporary). Most electricians are based in the suburbs or industrial areas such as Hemmant.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:07 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

hi Nige37,
Where abouts in Leeds do you live?
I currently live in Dewsbury and i work at Ventura on Clay pitt lane in Leeds.
I used to live in Outwood(Wakefield).
Have you found somewhere to live yet and which suburb is it?
It is a Small world.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:13 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Originally posted by LeaB
You may want to check with other electricians, but I would be surprised if you found work specifically in the CBD unless it's on a building site (temporary). Most electricians are based in the suburbs or industrial areas such as Hemmant.
Thanx for the info
Not really bothered where i work, but when i was there they seemed to be building everywhere in the centre
and the job sites i have looked at ,most were in the centre.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:22 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Originally posted by Mongrol
I lived in Kingston (same area) for 3 years around 1980. Slacks Creek, Kingston, Springwood etc were reasonable areas at the time, probably not changed much either from what I hear. Though there was some chemical accident of sorts there a few years ago which prompted a big cleanup (houses being knocked down) in Kingston. Next suburb along is Woodridge which is a bit more downmarket notable by the abundance the Australian equivilant of a satellite dish, the 3 foot round K-Mart swimming pool.

I went to Mabel Park Primary, decent enough school and then Kingston High, again a decent enough school, even if it was not actually in Kingston and took 2k's on the bike to get there. Can't wait to go back and see if my old house is still there. At 20+ km from the city its a bit far out but real handy for jumping on to the Pacific Highway for a daytrip to Surfers.

Cheers for that.
Just looking at the Brisbane CBD i brought back with me to see where you were.
The schools on Paradise Road?
Hope you find your house
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
We live in Chapel Allerton and i work at Oulton Hall Hotel in nr. Rothwell, my dad lives in outwood.

We are looking at maybe Redland bay area but we also could go to Ferny Grove or Forest Lake it just depends what we see when we get there as we havn't even been to oz yet, and also we got some fantastic news today on our house value.

You don't happen to know a young girl called Jodie Boland at Ventura do you?
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:47 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Originally posted by Nige37
Hi,
We live in Chapel Allerton and i work at Oulton Hall Hotel in nr. Rothwell, my dad lives in outwood.

We are looking at maybe Redland bay area but we also could go to Ferny Grove or Forest Lake it just depends what we see when we get there as we havn't even been to oz yet, and also we got some fantastic news today on our house value.

You don't happen to know a young girl called Jodie Boland at Ventura do you?

Dont know her,but could ask.
Im working on the new extension which opened last week.
Been there 5 months now.
We finally got our money from our house sale on monday and we are living with my parents till we go(nightmare but looking to the future. lol)
Just looked at Brisbane CBD which i brought back with me and looked at the areas you are looking at.
Why have you chose these areas(just curious)?

Marching on together(to the first division)
Old Apr 27th 2004, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Dont know her,but could ask.
Im working on the new extension which opened last week.
Been there 5 months now.
We finally got our money from our house sale on monday and we are living with my parents till we go(nightmare but looking to the future. lol)
Just looked at Brisbane CBD which i brought back with me and looked at the areas you are looking at.
Why have you chose these areas(just curious)?

Marching on together(to the first division)
There are lots of links on this site which have given info on various suburbs good and bad. We have liked the sound of the few mentioned in our last post as they have had positive feed back in relation to schools ect. We hope to find a short term let initially to give us time to look around before deciding where to put the kids into school as like you we do not want to get them settled and then uproot them. Our two are 10 and 7.

You seem a bit further along the path than us. Have you got your VIsa's yet. We have had the house valued but don't want to put it on the Market until we get the pre grant.

Its not easy going back to your parents with a family after having your own space and own rules. We've done it in the past (Nige's mums) and probably will for a while before we go when this place sells. Its all for a good cause EH!

Jodie no longer works at Ventura. Nigels a bit behind the times.

Let us know how yu get on.

Helen (Mrs Nige)
Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:18 am
ABCDiamond

Hi,

Make sure you do get over to the Redland Bay area, at least for a good look around

Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:04 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

There are lots of links on this site which have given info on various suburbs good and bad. We have liked the sound of the few mentioned in our last post as they have had positive feed back in relation to schools ect. We hope to find a short term let initially to give us time to look around before deciding where to put the kids into school as like you we do not want to get them settled and then uproot them. Our two are 10 and 7.

You seem a bit further along the path than us. Have you got your VIsa's yet. We have had the house valued but don't want to put it on the Market until we get the pre grant.

Its not easy going back to your parents with a family after having your own space and own rules. We've done it in the past (Nige's mums) and probably will for a while before we go when this place sells. Its all for a good cause EH!

Jodie no longer works at Ventura. Nigels a bit behind the times.

Let us know how yu get on.

Helen (Mrs Nige)

Not got our visa`s yet but hopefully around aug/sept. We got acknowledment of our visa arriving on nov 28th.We did our medicals unrequested on 6th April along with the police checks.
We sold our house early so we didnt have to face the possible nightmare of getting our visa and then not being able to sell it.
We are hopefully going in sept / oct so we can get our daughter in school for the beginning of the term.#

Darren(Mr Leannefr)