Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stupid Questions

Stupid Questions

Old May 2nd 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all
Default Stupid Questions

Have looked into flights to Oz, but they don't seem to show stop-overs. Does this mean - there aren't any on this particular flight, or that they just aren't telling you?

Also my OH wants to know if you live in Adelaide suburbs, is it still fairly easy to go out to bars and restaurants etc. Obv fairly near to CBD suburds, not oot in the hills.

Thanks for excusing my ignorance!
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:22 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Questions

Every flight will stop for fuel somewhere. If nothing else for 2 hours when you get out stretch legs and then carry on.
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz

Also my OH wants to know if you live in Adelaide suburbs, is it still fairly easy to go out to bars and restaurants etc. Obv fairly near to CBD suburds, not oot in the hills.

Thanks for excusing my ignorance!
It takes me half an hour to get into the city by bus and I live quite a way up in the Northern suburbs. If you're wanting to go into the city every night then you'd need to look at the suburbs closer to it. But there are a few TAB pubs and resteraunts etc in most suburbs, so it depends what you are wanting really.
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:14 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
It takes me half an hour to get into the city by bus and I live quite a way up in the Northern suburbs. If you're wanting to go into the city every night then you'd need to look at the suburbs closer to it. But there are a few TAB pubs and resteraunts etc in most suburbs, so it depends what you are wanting really.
hiya wendy just a quicky whats Mannum like we have seen some nice property in that area is it too far away from CBD and all the work areas?
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
hiya wendy just a quicky whats Mannum like we have seen some nice property in that area is it too far away from CBD and all the work areas?

Mate, never heard of it and it's not in the UBD map book, so I'd say it's miles away

Just googled it, but I'm still none the wiser

Will have a look on the SatNav and see how far away it is
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:35 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a look and it's about 80 km east on the Murray. According to my driving directions search it takes about 2.5 hours to drive Mannum to Adelaide.
I think you will find it very HOT in summer as it's inland quite a bit. Also not very convenient is you want to work in the city. From the looks of things I could find on the net there is nothing there except a couple of hotels and houseboat rentals.
Old May 3rd 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

Cheers guys

Is there any way of finding out where you stop over when you look at booking flights on the internet? Are you generally allowed out of the airport? Or do you have to sit around the departure lounge? And can you smoke in the airport (I know, I know).
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

fiona021 will become famous soon enoughfiona021 will become famous soon enough

Cheers guys

Is there any way of finding out where you stop over when you look at booking flights on the internet? Are you generally allowed out of the airport? Or do you have to sit around the departure lounge? And can you smoke in the airport (I know, I know).
I know on ebookers it was Glasgow to Dubai and Dubai to Singapore and then Singapore to Brisbane. Noticed on Emirates that they don't tend to show the stopover but just indicate that there will be one though. There is about an eight hour stopover from flights to Dubai to Australia so you must be able to get out and about and more importantly smoke!
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:19 pm
patience is a virtue !!!!

jo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the rough

I phoned ebookers as the flight stopped in singapore for a couple of hours only. They just booked me hotel and We will catch the plane out two days later..was easy on the phone.

Jo
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys

Usually the flights have a refuelling stop/stopover in their base city. For example, if you flew Malaysian, the stop would be Kuala Lumpa, Thai Airways - Bangkok, Singapore Airways - Changi Airport, Cathay Pacific - Hong Kong, Emirates - Dubai. With BA and Qantas, it varies, could be Singapore, Bangkok. Usually there is only one stop, however with Emirates they make two stops, Dubai and Singapore. Usually the turnaround times are between 1 hour and 2 hours, sometimes a little longer. You are normally only allowed in the transit area, otherwise you would have to go through immigration and custom and then back in through security, which doesn't leave a lot of time. They usually call the ongonig flight about 1/2 hour before departure, and normally from my experience transit passengerse are boarded first. Of course if your stay is a lot longer, then they usualy let you out of the airport, some even offer a free sightseeing bus tour (I know they do in singapore - if your connection time is over a certain time), and as for smoking, most airports have designated smoking areas.
Old May 4th 2007, 5:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We had 4 or 5 hours in Auckland and were not allowed out of the airport. If you intend to leave the airport for any reason you will have to collect your bags and go through customs and then back through security. If you do not have a valid visa for the country you are stopping in, you will probably not be allowed to leave the airport, though.
Old May 4th 2007, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jo andy + 2
I phoned ebookers as the flight stopped in singapore for a couple of hours only. They just booked me hotel and We will catch the plane out two days later..was easy on the phone.

Jo

Don't forget if you stopover you can't claim the extra 20kgs (40 in total) luggage
Old May 4th 2007, 6:09 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
We spent a night there a few years ago. Two pubs, one museum, a dozen shops. There was one road in plus the ferry to the other side of the river. The only other thing I remember was a couple of trees outside the hotel dripping in parrots singing their hearts out.
Old May 4th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
We spent a night there a few years ago. Two pubs, one museum, a dozen shops. There was one road in plus the ferry to the other side of the river. The only other thing I remember was a couple of trees outside the hotel dripping in parrots singing their hearts out.
A little info on Mannum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannum,_South_Australia
Old May 4th 2007, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sassie
Usually the flights have a refuelling stop/stopover in their base city. For example, if you flew Malaysian, the stop would be Kuala Lumpa, Thai Airways - Bangkok, Singapore Airways - Changi Airport, Cathay Pacific - Hong Kong, Emirates - Dubai. With BA and Qantas, it varies, could be Singapore, Bangkok. Usually there is only one stop, however with Emirates they make two stops, Dubai and Singapore. Usually the turnaround times are between 1 hour and 2 hours, sometimes a little longer. You are normally only allowed in the transit area, otherwise you would have to go through immigration and custom and then back in through security, which doesn't leave a lot of time. They usually call the ongonig flight about 1/2 hour before departure, and normally from my experience transit passengerse are boarded first. Of course if your stay is a lot longer, then they usualy let you out of the airport, some even offer a free sightseeing bus tour (I know they do in singapore - if your connection time is over a certain time), and as for smoking, most airports have designated smoking areas.

Wow this is fab - thanks for the help!