Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stumpy the Stingray butchered alive in front of kids

Stumpy the Stingray butchered alive in front of kids

Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stumpy the Stingray butchered alive in front of kids

"A STINGRAY that became a much-loved tourist attraction in Hamelin Bay was speared and hacked to pieces in front of distressed children.

The friendly ray, affectionately dubbed "Stumpy" because it had no barb, was sliced up and crammed into a portable cooler last month by two young fishermen, while shocked families screamed their protests.

Officials cannot prosecute anyone because the bay 30km south of Margaret River and famous for its stingrays is open to recreational fishing."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1226004981256

Was it OK for these guys to kill Stumpy?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stumpy the Stingray butchered alive in front of kids

Originally Posted by renth
"A STINGRAY that became a much-loved tourist attraction in Hamelin Bay was speared and hacked to pieces in front of distressed children.

The friendly ray, affectionately dubbed "Stumpy" because it had no barb, was sliced up and crammed into a portable cooler last month by two young fishermen, while shocked families screamed their protests.

Officials cannot prosecute anyone because the bay 30km south of Margaret River and famous for its stingrays is open to recreational fishing."

I don't know the full facts of this story but it is sad as the Stingrays at Hamelin Bay make it a special place.

It should be made a conservation area.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:56 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I don't understand how butchering Stingrays can be legal?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Weebie
I don't understand how butchering Stingrays can be legal?
Unfortunately stingrays are not a protected species and are therefore classified in the same bracket as most recreational fish. It is therefore legal to catch them on a hook and line (as long as it is not a marine reserve).

I would have thought spearing / spearfishing would follow slightly different rules when it comes to species allowed but in Aus i don't think it does.

These morons decided to spear and kill the stingray for the purpose of eating it. Seems bizarre as stingrays are not good to eat and whenever i have hooked them I have always made sure to release them as effectively as possible.

I guess some cultures think it is ok to take basically anything they can get their hands on when it comes to food from the ocean and I am guessing that is what has happened here.

If I saw this happening first hand. I would have certainly intervened.

Last edited by Fluid36; Feb 14th 2011 at 4:42 am.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

My 8 year old calls everyone a bum hole at the moment and that seems particularly appropriate for these wankers!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:09 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've caught & released plenty of Rays I don't rate them as a table fish more of a nuisance. I have heard that they are caught & "finned" similar to sharks & the fins punched out to make fake Scallops. Not high on my list of things to do but maybe an explanation of why these kids cut up the Ray & took it home.
To do that in front of small kids who had gone to feed the Rays is a pretty despicable act. Legal it may be but sometimes common sense should prevail
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've caught & released plenty of Rays I don't rate them as a table fish more of a nuisance. I have heard that they are caught & "finned" similar to sharks & the fins punched out to make fake Scallops. Not high on my list of things to do but maybe an explanation of why these kids cut up the Ray & took it home.
To do that in front of small kids who had gone to feed the Rays is a pretty despicable act. Legal it may be but sometimes common sense should prevail
Especially when you consider how cool it is when the Rays come into the surf and the kids are feeding and interacting with them.

It's a lovely place.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

I don't agree with the catching of rays in places like this, as they are an awsome way for people to see nature. The area should be a reserve.

But I also don't agree with the "think of the children", kids should know where their food comes from. "fish fingers" are not swimming around in schoold pre-battered.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
I don't agree with the catching of rays in places like this, as they are an awsome way for people to see nature. The area should be a reserve.

But I also don't agree with the "think of the children", kids should know where their food comes from. "fish fingers" are not swimming around in schoold pre-battered.
So you think butchering a cow or a pig in front of a preschooler would be acceptable?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:59 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Disgusting behaviour, send in Steve Irwin to sort them out ... oh ...
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
So you think butchering a cow or a pig in front of a preschooler would be acceptable?
Honestly? Yes, as long as it's done humainly.

Plently of kids on farms grow up knowing where their meat comes from.

Better than them thinking food magically comes out of a factory on polystyrene trays.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:35 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bibbs
Honestly? Yes, as long as it's done humainly.

Plently of kids on farms grow up knowing where their meat comes from.

Better than them thinking food magically comes out of a factory on polystyrene trays.

I agree that children should know where it comes from, but they don't need to know the gory details.
I was brought up on a farm and although I knew exactly how we got our meat, I would not have wanted to see the animal being killed, however humanely. This is epecially true of a 'pet' animal, which is what this ray was seen as by those children.

The only thing the kids would have learned from watching that act is what cruel beings humans have the capacity to be.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:07 am
Just Joined

mgglasby is an unknown quantity at this point

Stumpy the stingray was one of the oldest and most friendly rays at the bay. Callous, ignorant people have butchered this harmless ray (the only one with no tail and therefore no defense) and the West Australian Government has done nothing to prevent this from happening to other rays at the bay.

Stingrays in this area are a major tourist attraction and to leave them unprotected is stupidity beyond belief. All large stingrays should be protected by law and the friendly rays at Hamelin Bay should all be protected as a natural treasure.

Contact the Minister for tourism; Honourable Dr Kim Hames MB BS JP MLA at: [email protected] and the Minister for Fisheries; Honourable Norman Moore BA DipEd JP MLC at [email protected] and get the law changed before it is too late.