Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

stuff for visitors to bring from UK

stuff for visitors to bring from UK

Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:26 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Talking stuff for visitors to bring from UK

Ok, got my parents are making the big trip down under and they have a bit of space in the suitcase. They will be our first UK guest since we arrived (11mths ago).

My brain is a bit of a fuzz after dealing all day with a tantrum queen for a daughter and a 'I don't want to sleep/be put down' little bubs.

So help me out, what stuff have you got people to bring to Oz??

So far list - night nursing bra (just can't find any) and a small toy from ELC that is not stocked here, UK choc bars (I know a bit sad)
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: stuff for visitors to bring from UK

Originally Posted by walaj
Ok, got my parents are making the big trip down under and they have a bit of space in the suitcase. They will be our first UK guest since we arrived (11mths ago).

My brain is a bit of a fuzz after dealing all day with a tantrum queen for a daughter and a 'I don't want to sleep/be put down' little bubs.

So far list - night nursing bra (just can't find any) and a small toy from ELC that is not stocked here, UK choc bars (I know a bit sad)
Haribo, yorkshire pudding mix, dressing gown, Bristol Monopoly, potato bucket, cat plastic food mat
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ohippy
Haribo, yorkshire pudding mix, dressing gown, Bristol Monopoly, potato bucket, cat plastic food mat
Proper cheese and onion crisps...............or even better marmite flavour!!!
when mum came out last year I made her stuff her case with Marks and Spencer fabric conditioner.........sunflower fragrant..........as I love the smell!!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:34 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

When my brother came over he bought Atrixo handcream, 3kg cadburys choc
and vanish soap(its the only stain remover that works on my mucky kids clothes, hence the handcream to keep my hands nice and soft after all that scrubbing with vanish!
Deb x
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:38 am
formerly Poppy

Poppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to all

Don't want to hijack your thread, but I did see on the internet that Aunt Bessies Yorkshire Puds/mix are imported Keep forgetting to look when I go to supermarket!

WHilst I'm here, I'll try and think, what about a couple of good paperbacks? hot water bottle if your house gets cold in winter (odd one I know, but I can't sleep if my feet are cold and they take ages to warm up in winter). I'm sure there is more, but I can't think. My mum is coming over soon too and I'm trying to think what she can bring! thought I might get some ideas on here, so I'll keep watching.

What about M&S knickers? some clothes from H&M for the kids cos they are such good value!

Hope you have a good time when they're over.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
My parents came last month and they were loaded down with underware for all of us, loads of chocolate, jaffa cakes, jellies and of course marmite.
They put it all in a seperate bag, declared it and went through customs within 10 mins. I was just walking into arrivals and they were already through. couldn't believe it.Thought I had at least 30 mins from the plane arriving! will make sure I am there before the plane arrives next time.

Liz
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi walaj & co!
Happy New year!
My parents are over at the moment. They brought us all new underwear, kids lots of clothes, clothes for me & OH (which were greatly received)also a couple of magazines from the uk - things like Hello & OK. Then it makes you realise how quickly celebrities move on - hardly recognised any of the people
any more:scared:
Have a great time with them,

L'j xxx
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:49 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Poppy 2
What about M&S knickers?
Have to agree to M&S knickers had a new batch sent over for Christmas presents The other thing I like is that you can buy cheap T-shirts etc for kids that don't seem to stretch or go out of shape as soon as you add water so I got them to buy a stack of those for me on their last visit.

Marmite, Cadbury's choc and Hellmans but I've just found they sell that in Coles near me so my stock is back up once again. I've got used to the chocolate as well now and not really missing marmite that much anymore. The only other thing is gravy browning as for love nor money can I find that here.

So knickers, cheap t-shirts and gravy browning.....sad isn't it if that is all I miss from the UK

Sasha
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:11 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the suggestions:
marmite, I'm in the hate it camp. Gravy along the same lines.

vanish, can't you get that here? or is it another brand I amthinking of with thoses bright pink (annoying) ads?

H&M might get my Mum to go there (I have to remember that what I like are not always the taste as my mums one reason I might leave the M&S undies alone) Not to bothered with too many clothes, as if you get timing right we have just bought 11 pieces of clothing from Espirt for $135

mmmm jaffa cakes: had a box as xmas present. The only issue with then is an open box is an empty box & I'm trying to get back into normal clothing, not expand the maternity wear I'm still wearing.

just thought, can go M&S website & pick the styles I like OMG I'm turning into classic pommie, can't do without M&S undies :scared:
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:12 pm
no longer searching

remembered another thing - friends over Xmas suggested it - spare fuses for all the UK plugs we still use
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:13 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the suggestions:
marmite, I'm in the hate it camp. Gravy along the same lines.

vanish, can't you get that here? or is it another brand I amthinking of with thoses bright pink (annoying) ads?

H&M might get my Mum to go there (I have to remember that what I like are not always the taste as my mums one reason I might leave the M&S undies alone) Not to bothered with too many clothes, as if you get timing right we have just bought 11 pieces of clothing from Espirt for $135

mmmm jaffa cakes: had a box as xmas present. The only issue with then is an open box is an empty box & I'm trying to get back into normal clothing, not expand the maternity wear I'm still wearing.

just thought, can go M&S website & pick the styles I like OMG I'm turning into classic pommie, can't do without M&S undies :scared:
Go for it order a massive load of stuff online and get it sent to your Mum's at least then you won't end up with the apple catches Mum's tend to buy

Sasha
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Not just choc... be specific eg

dairy milk
minstrels
twiglets
bisto gravy
hellmans mayonnaise (check the egg quantity - Hellmans light is fine)
crisps
Mushy peas - tins not dried - my dried got confiscated on the way at customs Still havent forgiven the bloke!!!
Tampax
revels

my advice would be to tellt hem to put everything in the one case / bag then you only need ot open that at customs. The blokes were not interested in any of our other 8 cases!!! I also had a list of everything i had (advice from another BE member) whch they were really pleased with. Also we went through the queues so much quicker than people that dodnt have anythign to declare and had everything looked at - we definitely got the best deal!!

Im sure i can think of more given time - hope that this helps!
Lisa.xx
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I was soooooo pissed off the other day. I bought some marmite and had it in my hand luggage. Took it on the plane no probs in the UK. We were routed via Frankfurt where our hand luggage was checked again. They buggers took my massive jar of marmite from me........said it was a liquid and therefore not allowed, no amount of pleading, tasting etc would persuade them to let me keep it.

In Sydney, quarantine did not even check our many bags - I had a list of all the food items - they looked at it and sent us straight out! Never had that before - I thought they sent EVERYTHING through the scanners.

Rudi
x

PS Just enjoying my pickled onion monster munches I brought home with me
Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:09 am

gedge has disabled reputation

marmite and rain
Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:34 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi walaj,
yes vanish is the pink one but i prefer the bar of soap to the spray and i can't get that where i live. He also bought me a big bottle of pimms in duty free as i can't get that here either.
Have a lovely time with your mum and dad.
Deb x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.