Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Studying in Perth Oz

Studying in Perth Oz

Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future
Question Studying in Perth Oz

Hi Everyone

Myself and family were looking for a bit advice!!!! I am going to study at Murdoch Uni in Perth doing a master in accountancy but have been told that I am only allowed to work a max of 20 hours through the semester and full time through the holiday unfortunatley this rule is for my husband as well. Does anyone know if he would be able to get full time work?? My husband has been training as a tiler for just over a year now (non paid) as he is a self employed taxi driver also. The company he has worked for just ceased but the owner is more that happy to give a written reference of employment. I have two kids in tow which means as well as paying my own studying costs I have to pay for them also but would like to be able to support them and 20 hours a week each is not very sufficient. Can Anyone out there help please!!!!! Its driving us mad.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

price28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Studying in Perth Oz

Hi i am studying in Oz at Ecu yes you can both only work 20 hours a week and only 40 a week in the holidays although there is a lot of holidays.

Also big problem is that most employers where you can get part time work only employ oz residents banks/ woolworths etc so it takes a long time to get it.
Also you have to come to australia without A work visa and then when your husband commences study they lett dimia know then you have to apply for a work visa which takes around 3 days.

It is very hard as rent is high around 260 dollars a week.
We had enough savings on the side already to say that we had allowed ourselfs a bit extra a week. The cost of living is quite high in dollars when you dont earn a lt too.
If you need any more info let me know
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brockies
Hi Everyone

Myself and family were looking for a bit advice!!!! I am going to study at Murdoch Uni in Perth doing a master in accountancy but have been told that I am only allowed to work a max of 20 hours through the semester and full time through the holiday unfortunatley this rule is for my husband as well. Does anyone know if he would be able to get full time work?? My husband has been training as a tiler for just over a year now (non paid) as he is a self employed taxi driver also. The company he has worked for just ceased but the owner is more that happy to give a written reference of employment. I have two kids in tow which means as well as paying my own studying costs I have to pay for them also but would like to be able to support them and 20 hours a week each is not very sufficient. Can Anyone out there help please!!!!! Its driving us mad.
http://www.immi.gov.au/students/stud...conditions.htm

"DEPENDANT FAMILY MEMBERS:
You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week throughout the year.
Exceptions: Family members of the following students can work unlimited hours once the student starts their main course:

* students enrolled in Masters by coursework (visa 573)
* students enrolled in Masters by research or Doctoral degree (visa 574)
* students sponsored by AusAID or Defence (visa 576)."

Hope this helps
Old Jan 26th 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Thank you guys for a quick reply

We also have some savings and money of the house when we sell it so we could live ok but I dont want to rely to much on that money and hopefully try and get some work. Price you said that you have to apply for a working visa when you find a job once you have arrived that will obviously count for the two of us then yeah!!!

What part are you in? We have friends in Rockingham so we are going to hopefully get somewhere in that area its not to far half an hour from the Uni but there is a Murdoch Uni in Rockingham which does a shuttle into Perth which would help.

Anymore information on your move and settling in would be great? And do you have kids? sorry for all the questions its our first time on here.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

I have 1 child a son of 3 years he loves it here were in Joondalup, but its been a battle he did not settle for a long time.

You both can only get a job after the course commences. Its about 2-3 weeks all in all.

We thought it would be a lot easier the plans i had did not turn out and ethan has to go to nursery 4 days a week at $170.00. big chunk of wages i am only paid 15.50 an hour and hubby 17.00 an hour for the kind of work you can realistically get on this visa you would be looking around this wage level per hour.

we have been here A year the hardest year of our lives the biggest struggle and unrewarded so far another 2 years to go. At least you have friends who you can do things with i have family but we have no friends as yet it has been pretty lonely although we have family who are extremely supportive and i have 2 married brothers around my age who we do things on occasion with.

Other than our stuff left England 1st week of feb didnt get here till april and we kept it in storage till june which is when we both finally found a job (5 months) and could afford to rent anywhere. It was cold by that point and you cant bring any extra luggage so we ended up buying quite a few clothes.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 4:37 am
Just Joined

Goodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by price28
I have 1 child a son of 3 years he loves it here were in Joondalup, but its been a battle he did not settle for a long time.

You both can only get a job after the course commences. Its about 2-3 weeks all in all.

We thought it would be a lot easier the plans i had did not turn out and ethan has to go to nursery 4 days a week at $170.00. big chunk of wages i am only paid 15.50 an hour and hubby 17.00 an hour for the kind of work you can realistically get on this visa you would be looking around this wage level per hour.

we have been here A year the hardest year of our lives the biggest struggle and unrewarded so far another 2 years to go. At least you have friends who you can do things with i have family but we have no friends as yet it has been pretty lonely although we have family who are extremely supportive and i have 2 married brothers around my age who we do things on occasion with.

Other than our stuff left England 1st week of feb didnt get here till april and we kept it in storage till june which is when we both finally found a job (5 months) and could afford to rent anywhere. It was cold by that point and you cant bring any extra luggage so we ended up buying quite a few clothes.
Hi there
We are planning on coming to OZ on student visa's too. What are you studying? You say that it was 5 months before you got a rental property - was that because you couldnt find one or did you need a job to be able to get one? We assumed that we'd be able to get a rental easily, although we won't initially have jobs we will have cash, and things like our last mortgage statement and bank statements to support us when we look for a rental.

It would be interesting to know if things have happened that you hadn't planned for, so that it may help with our planning. We have money for study fees and the childrens fees, and 2 years rent, some money for a car, and some rainy day money. Have we forgotten anything?
Old Jan 27th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys

Hey Pricey if I get over soon I will look you up Joondalup is not that far from Rockingham is it? I know that its going to be hard with all our friends and family still in Scotland but its just a new lease on life that we need. And yes we have my (OH's) best friend, wife and kids over there which we have known for years so it should help alot, although I will miss my mum!!

What time scale did you have from applying to actually receiving your student visa, as we are thinking of just stuffing it all and hopefully come in July. The application is away but not sure how long now!!! I have been trying to phone but its been Australia weekend so nobody is answering.

Lyndsay x
Old Jan 27th 2007, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Goodi
Hi there
We are planning on coming to OZ on student visa's too. What are you studying? You say that it was 5 months before you got a rental property - was that because you couldnt find one or did you need a job to be able to get one? We assumed that we'd be able to get a rental easily, although we won't initially have jobs we will have cash, and things like our last mortgage statement and bank statements to support us when we look for a rental.

It would be interesting to know if things have happened that you hadn't planned for, so that it may help with our planning. We have money for study fees and the childrens fees, and 2 years rent, some money for a car, and some rainy day money. Have we forgotten anything?
It all came quickly about 3 months i did the evisa we left 3 weeks after we got it.
The cost of getting here, shipping fees and storage once it gets here the problem is you have no furniture here so you can rent but you have no furniture which means either a caravan or holiday rental unless family or friends and that is 3 months and a lot more expense and unsettling. we couldnt get a rental till we found a job and we couldnt find a job till june. The agents and that wanted to see you were working. Rockingham isnt that far at all actually so it would be good to meet up.

We bought a good second hand car for under 6000 and it is fine. Its just the phone bill, internet, foxtel you need the internet at home to take advantage of the free chat and skype and studying. Electricity as well is another burden along with.
Car insurance, contents insurance.
Then your tvs, dvd and vcr players dont work so you need to buy new of that, and all my cd players now dont work because of how they have been stored the drawers dont come out.
The list is never ending when i think about it looking back i was a bit naive and just thought it would be enjoyable 3 years but i am exhausted i have little to no time to myself and making friends has been the hardest. i just have no one to talk to the couple of friends i have made at uni are a lot younger so they wouldnt understand really.
It is worth it though to be able to do the things we do when we can
Also to be with my dad and stepmum 3 brothers and there 2 wives has been greateven though i left mum behind i have been with her for 28 years so i really wanted to be with my family and that has really kept me going because every week i look back at all my friends and all my husbands friends and think why am i doing this.
The cost to go home is so great it would financially cripple anyone i think
Old Jan 27th 2007, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Also dont forget the cost of each semester goes up so a bit extra for fees also books oh my goodness in one year i have spent 500 dollars in books they are very expensive and you need a lot
Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

just to reiterate what's already been posted.... if you're doing a Masters degree (either by coursework OR research) then your hubby will be able to work full-time with no limitations, once you've started your course.

We came over to australia on tourist visas and then applied for student visas when we arrived (was a very last minute thing). had our medical's about 10 days after we applied, and visas were granted that day - piece of cake!

Neither of us were working, but we did find a rental within 2 weeks of arriving in brisbane (and that's with 2 dogs as well).

My OH has been working (temp) since december, when the uni term finished. I started back on the 8th of jan, so didn't get a job. We're relying on savings and the OHs wage to get us through, as my course requires 60hrs a week study time, so there's very little chance of working at the same time. It's hard work, and all I seem to do is eat, sleep and study... but I wouldn't change it for the world!!!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

Hey Pricey if I get over soon I will look you up Joondalup is not that far from Rockingham is it?
Lyndsay x

Joondalup is way NOR and Rockingham way SOR - it's probably at least an hours drive on a good day so wouldn't say it was close unless I'm missing something ?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Also dont forget the cost of each semester goes up so a bit extra for fees also books oh my goodness in one year i have spent 500 dollars in books they are very expensive and you need a lot
Hey

What are you studying at ECU? How far away is Edith Cowan from Joonadalup and what use of transport to you use? I have took the cost of books etc into consideration we are planning to come over really open minded as we no that its not going to be a walk in the park but we are going to give it the best shot possible.

Let me know how you are doing?

Lyndsay
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

chlor is on a distinguished road

Hi
i just have to ask are any of you currently studying in oz intending to apply for a pv at the end of your courses? and if so will you have to leave the country whilst it is processed? i am thinking of going down this route but with a hubby and 7 kids to consider we really don't want to find ourselves homeless at the end of it. We would need to sell the house to fund it and would only have about 100,000AD to put towards a new house and the end of the course.
Thanks
chlor
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Hey

What are you studying at ECU? How far away is Edith Cowan from Joonadalup and what use of transport to you use? I have took the cost of books etc into consideration we are planning to come over really open minded as we no that its not going to be a walk in the park but we are going to give it the best shot possible.

Let me know how you are doing?

Lyndsay
Hi
Ecu is in joondalup i can walk but i did my first year at pibt in stirling and that took me 50min all in all 2 buses and the train although it realy isnt that far about 25 mins in the car.
I think all will be fine as long as you try to be strong for one another and have money aside as i dont think anyone would co do this without some savings with only being able to work 20 hours. We have done 1 year about to start year 2 not ready to go home yet and we have had problems.

I dont know if i could do this route with 7 kids its difficult with 1 it would depend on their ages. Yes if you graduate a course with a nominated occupation you can stay in the country while applying for pr. You would definately have to rent so you would need to look at the financial side as the courses are about 40,000 dollars. Goodluck
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi
Ecu is in joondalup i can walk but i did my first year at pibt in stirling and that took me 50min all in all 2 buses and the train although it realy isnt that far about 25 mins in the car.
I think all will be fine as long as you try to be strong for one another and have money aside as i dont think anyone would co do this without some savings with only being able to work 20 hours. We have done 1 year about to start year 2 not ready to go home yet and we have had problems.

I dont know if i could do this route with 7 kids its difficult with 1 it would depend on their ages. Yes if you graduate a course with a nominated occupation you can stay in the country while applying for pr. You would definately have to rent so you would need to look at the financial side as the courses are about 40,000 dollars. Goodluck
I totally agree with you Price!!! Chlor have you actually considered the cost of 7 kids in education in Australia plus your own study costs I have money aside for the 3 years for myself and my 2 kids and it will total around £30000 And as I have read on this including comments from Price that it will be very hard so I would think about it a lot!!!

But if that is your decision and you can afford it I say go for it thats what we are doing. Hope you find the right path to take!!!