Reload this Page >

Studying as a Mature Student in Qld

Studying as a Mature Student in Qld

Old May 8th 2003, 5:06 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying as a Mature Student in Qld

Hubby & I are in process of applying to move to Australia. We are going on a mixed application - half sponsored and half skilled migration. "They" have just requested more info from our sponsors so it looks like they are at least looking at our application.

I have just quit my office job and am thinking of a major career change but need to go to college/uni first.

As long as we can provide for ourselves will this be a problem if I go to school full time while hubby works?

Does anybody know anything about mid-wifery and what it's like in Qld? (Major career change like I said - from PA to hopefully mid-wife...yikes).

Any views/opinions/advice would be helpful. Good or bad.

Ta

V
Old May 8th 2003, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

I am hoping to go to Uni in Brisbane and have found the webites very helpful a couple have even emailed back.

Good luck

footie chick
Old May 8th 2003, 6:01 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by footie chick
I am hoping to go to Uni in Brisbane and have found the webites very helpful a couple have even emailed back.

Good luck

footie chick
cool - thanks. Will check them out!
Old May 8th 2003, 6:41 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I looked at the price of study in aus and found it to be prety expensive for an international student... Don't know if you would still be classed as internation if you have PR but its worth checking.

For a normal uni course (such as a nursing degree) i think you would be paying about $12000 a term (a year). That was how much a zoology degree at James Cook universtity cost about 2 years ago (for an int student).

Try getting in contact with the royal college of nursing here in the Uk, they may be able to advise you.

Pete.
Old May 8th 2003, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

The lady i communicated with told me that i would pay the same as an Aussie so hopefully she was telling the truth otherwise i`d better get saving.

footie chick
Old May 8th 2003, 8:06 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by PeteY
I looked at the price of study in aus and found it to be prety expensive for an international student... Don't know if you would still be classed as internation if you have PR but its worth checking.

For a normal uni course (such as a nursing degree) i think you would be paying about $12000 a term (a year). That was how much a zoology degree at James Cook universtity cost about 2 years ago (for an int student).

Try getting in contact with the royal college of nursing here in the Uk, they may be able to advise you.

Pete.
Gosh - that's a lot of dosh! I also better get saving.

Thanks for the advice.

V
Old May 8th 2003, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny cause I was looking at this last night. The fees did seem alot to me.

Pott.
Old May 9th 2003, 9:40 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

They are high, but to be fair they are cheaper than studying the UK or in the states.

I did a geology degree at uni, luckily when the government still payed 100% of the fees. One of my mates was a Nigerian international student, and his dad was paying £7000 a term for him to be there. I made him prove it to me.......and he was'nt lying!! Huuge amount of money for a 4 year degree, your talking £28k for a qualification.

Ouch.
Old May 9th 2003, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought, you get paid to train as a nurse/mid-wife over here, Oz needs more nurses yet charges fees for the training ?????????

Pott.
Old May 9th 2003, 12:45 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by pott
Just a thought, you get paid to train as a nurse/mid-wife over here, Oz needs more nurses yet charges fees for the training ?????????

Pott.
Yeah that's what I thought as well. Weird isn't it?
Old May 9th 2003, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

you don't pay the same fees if you have your PR visa it will be a lot less.

Cazz
Old May 9th 2003, 1:18 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by cazz
you don't pay the same fees if you have your PR visa it will be a lot less.

Cazz
Yeah I know..but you still have to pay.

I should actually be looking on Australian websites about nursing/midwifery but this is more fun....

V
Old May 9th 2003, 2:23 pm
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Vee
Yeah I know..but you still have to pay.

I should actually be looking on Australian websites about nursing/midwifery but this is more fun....

V
Technincally, you don't get paid to do nursing/midwifery over here. If you do a diploma in nursing/midwifery which lasts 3 years you get a bursary of £5000 per year. The academic year lasts 45 weeks.

Or

You can do a 3 or 4 year degree in nursing/midwifery, you are entitled to a means tested bursary if your partner earns less than £17,000 I think but the bursary would only amount to about £2000 if you're lucky. The academic year is 45 weeks for the degree course too.

I think in Australia the academic year is about 30 weeks long and its all degree courses so you'll probably need GCSE Biology and/or A level.

Try this site for an insight into midwifery in Oz
http://www.efn.org/~djz/birth/midwifefaq/australia.html

Siobhan
Old May 9th 2003, 3:15 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by LondonNurse
Technincally, you don't get paid to do nursing/midwifery over here. If you do a diploma in nursing/midwifery which lasts 3 years you get a bursary of £5000 per year. The academic year lasts 45 weeks.

Or

You can do a 3 or 4 year degree in nursing/midwifery, you are entitled to a means tested bursary if your partner earns less than £17,000 I think but the bursary would only amount to about £2000 if you're lucky. The academic year is 45 weeks for the degree course too.

I think in Australia the academic year is about 30 weeks long and its all degree courses so you'll probably need GCSE Biology and/or A level.

Try this site for an insight into midwifery in Oz
http://www.efn.org/~djz/birth/midwifefaq/australia.html

Siobhan
That's a great site. I had looked at it briefly before but noticed a date of a posting from ''96 which put me off. I have re-read it and it seems to give me the information I need. Thanks.

V