Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Studying in Gold Coast TAFE

Studying in Gold Coast TAFE

Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

jennireren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying in Gold Coast TAFE

Is anyone studying at the Gold Coast TAFE? Was thinking of doing the hairdressing course there and was wondering whats it like? Also is finding a place to rent easy enough? If anyone has any experiences could you please let me know. thanks,,
Jen
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:31 am
welshoz

welshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to all
Default Re: Studying in Gold Coast TAFE

Hi, I've just finished my course in cert III hairdressing I studied in Brisbane City. Cost about $20,000. Was told that the Gold Coast TAFE was pretty good.

The Gold Coast is nice, very touristy and commercial, nice beaches.

I opted for Brisbane City and living in the outskirts (suburbs).

We moved out here, before even coming on holiday and where lucky to land in a lovely place.

Are you hoping to go down the student to PR route?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

jennireren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welshoz
Hi, I've just finished my course in cert III hairdressing I studied in Brisbane City. Cost about $20,000. Was told that the Gold Coast TAFE was pretty good.

The Gold Coast is nice, very touristy and commercial, nice beaches.

I opted for Brisbane City and living in the outskirts (suburbs).

We moved out here, before even coming on holiday and where lucky to land in a lovely place.

Are you hoping to go down the student to PR route?
Hi Welshoz,

I'm hoping to do the studying thing in order to get the PR eventually. R you applying now that you've finished? While you were studying did you work part time, if so was it in hairdressing? Do you know what haridressers wages are like?? I saw a website saying on average they're on $500 a week which I think is quite poor.

I'm hoping to apply and start in Jan/feb 09. I'm just nervous about am I picking the right course and the fact that the wages seem really bad.

When you went over did you buy a return ticket? just wondering cause I wasnt sure if you can get a return journey over the 2 years.

Sorry for all the questions but its a big step and expensive just to get PR. Do you think its worth it??

Thanks,

Jennie
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

gagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nice

Hi, we are looking at studying in Nambour and was planning on living in or around Mooloolaba. Having looked at the rent, they all appear to be weekly rates. Does this mean that bills are included in the price? When travelling in OZ my rent always included bills. anyone????
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Jayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really nice

Originally Posted by gagno9
Hi, we are looking at studying in Nambour and was planning on living in or around Mooloolaba. Having looked at the rent, they all appear to be weekly rates. Does this mean that bills are included in the price? When travelling in OZ my rent always included bills. anyone????
Hi
The weekly rent for a long term lease (6 months +) will not include gas, electric or phone. But will include water and council rates.
good luck
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Most rent only includes a part of the water rates.....
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really nice

Originally Posted by justsarah
Most rent only includes a part of the water rates.....
there is only additional costs for water if you go over the alloted threshold for the property
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

MOST of the time. We did go to viewings of places where no water was included, and that was through agents.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
MOST of the time. We did go to viewings of places where no water was included, and that was through agents.
In Queensland you should only be paying for water which is over and above the alloted amount stated on your tenancy agreement. If you live in a unit you should not have any additional water costs. Water useage, along with standard community charges such as garbage collection, sewerage, fire levy, is included in the council tax, which is payed by the owner/landlord.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:02 am
welshoz

welshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to all

Hi yes, Ive had a positive TRA approval (which is to say I'm a qualified hairdresser) had to take my IELTS as well, with all of that I have got 120pts.

So yes I have now applied for P.R.

Make sure whatever course you get onto is CRICOS registered for 2years, but the good thing is that you can finish that course in no less than 16 calendar months-which is what I done.

I didn't work because as part of the course you have to do 900 hours of work experience otherwise TRA don't approve you. These can unfortunately be unpaid, unless you are lucky and get with a good employer. My wage is above min. but usually around $18pr hour before tax - but as I said you can get more if you find the right employer.

Rent I pay is $370 per week this is in a good area, 4 bed 1/4 acre land, older house. Depends on how close to city, beaches etc (have a look on realestate.com.au) you pay your own gas electric but water is free unless you go over as the previous threads said.

I got a one way, purely because I had two very young children and knew I wouldn't be coming back for a good five years or so. Flew with Malaysia Airlines stopped off at Kuala Lumpur. (very good airlines - from my experience)

Hope al this makes sense, Dont hesitate to send me a private pm.

I'll help you as much as I can, 'cos I know how daunting it can be!!!

KatieXX
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:04 am
welshoz

Forgot to add, for us it was so worth it!!!!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:50 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welshoz
Make sure whatever course you get onto is CRICOS registered for 2years, but the good thing is that you can finish that course in no less than 16 calendar months-which is what I done.
92 weeks as of October 2007!

I finished in Aug and did 72 but now they want 92 weeks so beware!

Rules have changed a lot since and now you're looking at realistically 2 years of study, then at least a year for work experience, and then another 6 months waiting on a bridging visa for the PR to come through!

Just hope there's no changes in them THREE YEARS!!!!

Oh and no Medicare and paying kids fee's for the duration!!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
92 weeks as of October 2007!

I finished in Aug and did 72 but now they want 92 weeks so beware!

Rules have changed a lot since and now you're looking at realistically 2 years of study, then at least a year for work experience, and then another 6 months waiting on a bridging visa for the PR to come through!

Just hope there's no changes in them THREE YEARS!!!!

Oh and no Medicare and paying kids fee's for the duration!!
We've just been going through this in the last few weeks so can give out some info given to us directly from DIAC.

It appears that the important thing is the course must now be registered as a 92 week CRICOS course - on completion you can get a confirmation letter from the college or TAFE.

This doesn't mean you must study for 92 weeks solid - 16 months continuous study is still the minimum allowed, as it may be that you finish sooner. But you must have completed a minimum of 12 units (It's classed at 6 units per year of study).

Our TRA is now back and we have Qld State regional sponsorship approval - and all this took less than a month to process.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pearl&Wal
We've just been going through this in the last few weeks so can give out some info given to us directly from DIAC.

It appears that the important thing is the course must now be registered as a 92 week CRICOS course - on completion you can get a confirmation letter from the college or TAFE.

This doesn't mean you must study for 92 weeks solid - 16 months continuous study is still the minimum allowed, as it may be that you finish sooner. But you must have completed a minimum of 12 units (It's classed at 6 units per year of study).

Our TRA is now back and we have Qld State regional sponsorship approval - and all this took less than a month to process.
I'm still confused with it you know. Not that it matters as my application is in, but my course was registered as a 2 year course, but competence based so could be completed sooner, and we all did a min of 72 weeks for DIAC to meet the '2 year study rule'.

I'm just wondering why DIAC changed from 72 to 92 if you can still do it in 16 months ...
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I'm still confused with it you know. Not that it matters as my application is in, but my course was registered as a 2 year course, but competence based so could be completed sooner, and we all did a min of 72 weeks for DIAC to meet the '2 year study rule'.

I'm just wondering why DIAC changed from 72 to 92 if you can still do it in 16 months ...
Oh and my old schools course is now a FULL 2 years, why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.