student visas

Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

shelley77 will become famous soon enough
Default student visas

Hi

does anyone know what information is required when you apply for PR from a student visa...what questions do they ask..

also my husband is allowed to onyl work 20 hours..but does immigration look into what he is doing whilst we are here?????

any advice would be good..

thanks
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: student visas

Originally Posted by shelley77
Hi

does anyone know what information is required when you apply for PR from a student visa...what questions do they ask..

also my husband is allowed to onyl work 20 hours..but does immigration look into what he is doing whilst we are here?????

thanks
MY son is coming over in Jan [student visa, his partner is also coming with him, she can work 20 hours also, i would not risk working more in term time, but in the hols you can work more hours. And there are lots of holidays,
after my son has finished Uni, yyears study, if he gets a job within 6 months [i think] he can apply for Pr, but he will have us to sponsor him and he has balance of the family here. Denise
Old Nov 30th 2005, 8:24 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Smile Re: student visas

Hi

thanks
I'm going in on a student visa in January. My hubby can only work 20 hours a week too. If he does more and gets found out your student visa may be taken off you. It's not worth the risk.

Not sure about applying for PR from a student visa as we won't be doing this until I have my nursing degree in three years time, but I know you can apply under the skilled independent category for eligible overseas students in australia once you obtain your degree. My friend is a student in Perth and her hubby got sponsored by a company so he can work longer hours on a different visa.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 10:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
MY son is coming over in Jan [student visa, his partner is also coming with him, she can work 20 hours also, i would not risk working more in term time, but in the hols you can work more hours. And there are lots of holidays,
after my son has finished Uni, yyears study, if he gets a job within 6 months [i think] he can apply for Pr, but he will have us to sponsor him and he has balance of the family here. Denise

This is the kind of confusion that leads to people being refused visas and having to take a one-way trip home - "balance of family" as DIMIA understand it is only relevant for parent visas.

Getting PR off a student visa is easier said than done. Some people manage it, many others don't (with great disappointment, generally).

Jeremy
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:40 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Hi

thanks
Oops...Of course the holder of the visa can work more in the holidays..
Old Nov 30th 2005, 10:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It's not about what "questions" they may ask but more about whether you meet the requirements. Basic requirements (including skill assessment), plus points test if applicable, plus application validity requirements, plus health and character requirements.

There is a myth out there that an Australian qualification gets you PR. It doesn't (not by a long shot).

Jeremy
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

shelley77 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not about what "questions" they may ask but more about whether you meet the requirements. Basic requirements (including skill assessment), plus points test if applicable, plus application validity requirements, plus health and character requirements.

There is a myth out there that an Australian qualification gets you PR. It doesn't (not by a long shot).

Jeremy

Thats what I meant with saying "what questions" Is there a form we can look at which will show what documents/information etc that we will need to gather for the PR process.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:49 am
JAJ
Retired

Thats what I meant with saying "what questions" Is there a form we can look at which will show what documents/information etc that we will need to gather for the PR process.

You need to look on the DIMIA website at the information on skilled migration.

Jeremy
Old Dec 1st 2005, 11:02 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if what he actually does is looked into but certainly if he does anything over 20 hours then they get very interested