Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student Visa Please Help!!!

Wikiposts

Student Visa Please Help!!!

Old Feb 7th 2004, 4:40 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

All for people studying Roy, but beware you might be asked to show funding for the entire lenght of the course that you and wife do. As you will have read just for our daughter we had to show a large amount of funds.

I think your right about the 20hrs of work a week.

Also remeber that the start of educational year is Jan/Feb infact we put our daughter on the plane at lunchtime she starts her course on tuesday. So you will need to check how many intakes a year they have for the course your wife wants to take.

We have found unis to be very helpful with our enquiries.

Sarah
Old Feb 7th 2004, 4:52 am
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah,

We intend to raise funds by selling our house. We estimate we should get a minimum of £30k profit. This should at least fund for a year. At the very, very worst, we shuold get £25K profit, which translates to about $60K Aus. This should cover the course fees as well as the $40K for a year cover? I guess we'll find out. Before doing anything, we will get concrete evidence of funds needed for the timescale.

The course my wife intends to go on is only 12 months, but with full time study. We have already been i contact with the academy and they have said (verbally) that they'd be delighted to take her. The academy in question is flexible and can take students at any time.

So, it's a case of us selling our house to raise funds, then getting the formal offer off the academy, then applying for the visa.

Roy
Old Feb 7th 2004, 5:12 am
We arrived november 2004

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sausage

Good luck Roy you look like you have it under control hope the house sells quickly for you.

Sarah
Old Feb 7th 2004, 5:18 am
Put big light on!

Good luck with Adelaide.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Roy,

your funds sound fine, but just remember if your wife is only doing a years course then you will only gets 1 years visa, as the visa only lasts the length of the course, and you can't do a 2 year course and cram it into 1 year (I looked into this option) as the college informs immi when your studying has ended, so your wife would need to find sponsorship before her course ends, or you could work the 20 hours and hopefully find sponsorship, the dependant is only allowed to work 20 hours once you apply for working rights, I don't know anything about being able to apply for a temp visa to allow full work rights, I didn't think that was possible, its only students doing masters that dependants have the full working rights I think. The other option is to do the 2 year course, get a 6 month bridging visa to allow your wife to apply for PR on her hairdressing skills, but you MUST have 2 years study for this one, and that would mean 2 years funds. I agree with you I think it will be so much easier finding ways to stay once you are actually in OZ rather than here. I emailed your wife this morning, if she needs any info at all, i'll be happy to help.

Lisa
Old Feb 7th 2004, 9:55 pm
Put big light on!

Thanks Lisa!

Yes, my wife's course IS only for 12 months, but will give her the full Certificate III. I understand the 12 month visa issue, but we plan on overcoming that hopefully. Ideally, Sue could find employment for when the course has finished and apply for the relevant visa etc. Alternatively, I, the dependant, will apply for a temp visa to allow me to work.

I have been informed by an agent that as a dependant on a student visa, I should be able to apply for a student visa in my own right, while there, or apply for a temporary visa (which I intend). While there, I also hope to find an employer willing to go the ENS route too.

Nothing is concrete, but you also understand the fact that it's easier to do it there too. If we try to wait for the perfect situation, we'll never do it and we'll grow old in England (YUK!). hehe

Thanks for emailing, Sue. I'll let her know she has an email waiting.

Best wishes,

Roy
Old Feb 8th 2004, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Roy,

Could you let me know what the temp visa is as I didn't know about this, we had looked into it pretty thoroughly and as far as i knew the only options for my hubby on my student visa was either apply for a student visa in his own right or for us both to obtain working rights on my visa allowing us both 20 hours a week. Is there a way he can get a temp visa in his own right allowing him to work full time??

Thanks for your help

Lisa
Old Feb 8th 2004, 12:12 pm
Put big light on!

Hiya Lisa,

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, I think it's the 457 visa, which your husband might be able to apply for, while being a dependant on your student visa.

I am not 100% sure, but I was informed by an agent that this would be possible. This is something I hope to do when we go over. I think you need a company to sponsor you with a job offer.

As you can imagine, I'm no expert and am trying to learn as I go along

Hope this helps.

Roy
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Trayla
Hi Mercedes,

I think you need to look at the booklet associated with your level of course.

I have to pay for my childrens schooling ($3600each per year), as far as I am aware all international students have to.

I had to pay some of my fees and a year of the kids fees to get our certificates of enrolment. I also had to pay for overseas student health cover, my uni sorted this out for me but it is through medibank private. All before I applied for the visa.

I had to prove I had funds to cover our living expenses(using the immigrations scale), cost of the course, flights back, school fees for the kids, and health cover.

We also had to have medicals, but no police checks.

Good luck,

Tracey

Hi,
We are leaving for brisbane in June to start my course in July. Are the medicals required in all cases? Do you go to your local GP? Or do London tell you where to go? I assume you have to pay for this? How much? Do you get the medical before sending your visa application or wait for London to tell you to go for them?
Thanks
Old Feb 28th 2004, 9:41 am
We arrived november 2004

Originally posted by MarkandJulie
Hi,
We are leaving for brisbane in June to start my course in July. Are the medicals required in all cases? Do you go to your local GP? Or do London tell you where to go? I assume you have to pay for this? How much? Do you get the medical before sending your visa application or wait for London to tell you to go for them?
Thanks

Medicals are not always required it depends on the course you are doing. If you are looking at the careing or teaching profession a medical will be required as well as some but sorry I cannot remember what they are. It costs approx £150 for medicals but again there may be some regional variation. Your GP is not able to do this medical even if he/she is recognised by the australian high commission.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by MarkandJulie
Hi,
Thanks

London immi told us that if you are staying in Oz for more than 12 months a medical is ALWAYS required, i got mine done for 2 adults and 2 children X rays and medicals which cost just under £500 for the 4 of us. We sent them along with my student visa application, you will get a list of approved doctors from the immi website.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:09 am
kjb
Forum Regular

kjb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student Visa Please Help!!!

Hi Tracey

I know I'm replying to a really old post here so not sure if I'll get a response from you. I just notice you said you were studying for a masters and this enabled your partner to work full time. Do you know if this is still the case? It's something I hadn't heard of.

Many thanks
Kirsty

Originally Posted by Trayla
Hi

I am currently in OZ on a student visa, it took two weeks for London to process my application, and even then there was a slight hiccup and I had to send them evidence of more funds.

I am studying a masters degree. This allows my hubby (my dependent) to work full-time and me to work part-time during term time and full-time in the hols. Courses below a masters usually only allow 20hrs for the dependent.

I would read carefully the 'rules' for getting a PR visa after studying.

Only students who have actually studied for two years can apply for the six months bridging visa, 18 months will not suffice. This enables them to stay in OZ so they can apply on-shore for a PR visa. As they have studied for 'two' years they are exempt from the recent work experience in the basic skills test. You still have to get 115 points to get PR.

If you haven't done two years study, its back to the UK for recent work experience. If your partner wants to apply for a skilled independent visa, this is an off-shore visa.

There is also the opportunity for employee nomination for yourself and your partner, but I am unsure whether this can be done on-shore.

Good luck, with your studies :lecture:, Where are you studying, I'm at UNISA in Adelaide.

Tracey