Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student Visa applying for residency!!!!!

Student Visa applying for residency!!!!!

Old May 6th 2006, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

kerry roarty will become famous soon enoughkerry roarty will become famous soon enough
Default Student Visa applying for residency!!!!!

Me and my boyfriend are in Australia on a student visa. This visa expires at the end of November 2007. We want to apply for residency but when can we start applying for it????? And also how long would it take to come?

Please can anyone tell me

Thanks Kerry x
Old May 6th 2006, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visa applying for residency!!!!!

hey kerry,

i think you need to wait until you've got your qualifications (for assessment purposes) and then you can submit your application.

I think that when you put in a PR application form they switch you over on to a temp visa so that you can remain onshore until they reach a decision...

as for how long it takes - dunno!!!

good luck
Old May 6th 2006, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerry roarty
Me and my boyfriend are in Australia on a student visa. This visa expires at the end of November 2007. We want to apply for residency but when can we start applying for it????? And also how long would it take to come?

Thanks Kerry x
Hi Kerry, just to mention, Scott has family here, mum and dad, brothers and sister.
And are permanent residents, and hopefully will be citizens when Scott finishes Uni.
Denise xx
Old May 6th 2006, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Kerry x
Depends on the kinda course and your work experience/nominated occupation if you are suitable for PR, but you will have to pass a suitable skills assessment and other criteria to get residency from a student visa. the main PR visas you're looking at are the 880,881 and 882 (881 and 882 you need a relative to sponser, and 882 is easiest if you have a rellie in a designated area, as there is no points test for this visa).
if you can't get any of these you might look at the temp skilled indep regional visa 495 but you need have to have completed at least 2 years of post secondary study in Oz and have completed the course before you can apply.
I would strongly advise you to get professional help to get the right time of application as I believe this is crucial but I think once you have completed the course you can apply electronically for a 880/1/2 visa and make a declaration that your skill assessment, police checks medicals have been applied for. This usually results in you being granted a bridging A visa. However if you have any doubt about passing the skill assessment or other requirements apply first for a temp 6 month 497 visa to give yourselves time to get the skill assessment and if possible apply for your 497 at least 2 weeks prior to the expiry of your current student visa to ensure you don't become illegal
Old May 6th 2006, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite
hey kerry,

i think you need to wait until you've got your qualifications (for assessment purposes) and then you can submit your application.

I think that when you put in a PR application form they switch you over on to a temp visa so that you can remain onshore until they reach a decision...

as for how long it takes - dunno!!!

good luck
I know my student visa did not expire until the March following the end of my course the previous December. I think this is so if I wanted to apply for PR then it gave me time. Usually if you apply for a different visa to the one you are on they give you a bridging visa whilst the case is decided
Old May 6th 2006, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Thanks Kerry x

I was chatting to a migration agent a couple of weeks back and she told me in this situation, the visa takes up to 6 months.

However, I have a workmate who was in this situation (her course completed 2 years ago). She had the police checks and medicals done and all the paperwork completed just prior to completing her course so as soon as the results were released she had everything ready to go. Sent the whole lot off and had her passport back with PR in 2 weeks!
Old May 6th 2006, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
I was chatting to a migration agent a couple of weeks back and she told me in this situation, the visa takes up to 6 months.

However, I have a workmate who was in this situation (her course completed 2 years ago). She had the police checks and medicals done and all the paperwork completed just prior to completing her course so as soon as the results were released she had everything ready to go. Sent the whole lot off and had her passport back with PR in 2 weeks!
...... the 497 visa is a 6 month temporary visa for overseas students who need additional time in Australia to obtain the necessary documents for a skilled application