British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Student Loans Company: How have they found my address? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/student-loans-company-how-have-they-found-my-address-933111/)

Manuelb Jun 9th 2020 2:46 pm

Student Loans Company: How have they found my address?

Have been paying my loan off monthly since I emigrated years ago. Have always paid the standard monthly for expats in Australia ( a lot, but I want to pay it off and don’t want to send them my payslips every year for the sake of a small discount)

Got a letter from them today at my address in Australia, one month ago they were writing to my mothers address, which Is what I’ve always given them. Just wondering, how would they get my new address if I didn’t tell them?

i thought HMRC but I heard HMRC only send stuff to SLC when you are paying PAYE tax...

spouse of scouse Jun 9th 2020 3:15 pm

re: Student Loans Company: How have they found my address?

Originally Posted by Manuelb (Post 12864231)
Have been paying my loan off monthly since I emigrated years ago. Have always paid the standard monthly for expats in Australia ( a lot, but I want to pay it off and don’t want to send them my payslips every year for the sake of a small discount)

Got a letter from them today at my address in Australia, one month ago they were writing to my mothers address, which Is what I’ve always given them. Just wondering, how would they get my new address if I didn’t tell them?

i thought HMRC but I heard HMRC only send stuff to SLC when you are paying PAYE tax...

Do you pay tax in Australia? I can't remember where I read this sorry, but I did read that HMRC and the ATO share information so maybe that's it?

Manuelb Jun 9th 2020 9:09 pm

Pay tax yes. HMRC do have my address in Australia anyway...

Pollyana Jun 9th 2020 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Manuelb (Post 12864231)

Loan companies will use any possible avenue. They may even speak to former colleagues and anyone living at a previous address of yours. They may then have links with banks or financial institutions in Australia and through them have access to credit reports. They may be able to access ATO reports either directly or through an affiliated company. Companies here with whom you have a bank account, credit card, credit account for white goods etc. And the there are all the other ways of finding someone - social media, names and addresses on petitions, White Pages, imple appeals on site like ths for "I need to find my long lost nephew" - trust me over the years we have seen penty of those on here.

spouse of scouse Jun 10th 2020 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12864386)
Loan companies will use any possible avenue. They may even speak to former colleagues and anyone living at a previous address of yours. They may then have links with banks or financial institutions in Australia and through them have access to credit reports. They may be able to access ATO reports either directly or through an affiliated company. Companies here with whom you have a bank account, credit card, credit account for white goods etc. And the there are all the other ways of finding someone - social media, names and addresses on petitions, White Pages, imple appeals on site like ths for "I need to find my long lost nephew" - trust me over the years we have seen penty of those on here.

Is that what those 'I need to find my long lost nephew' type posts are all about? I've always been a bit suspicious of them, but I never thought of financial institutions/debt collectors. Sneaky bastards!

Pollyana Jun 10th 2020 2:21 am

Re: Identify Loans Company: How have they found my address?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12864414)
Is that what those 'I need to find my long lost nephew' type posts are all about? I've always been a bit suspicious of them, but I never thought of financial institutions/debt collectors. Sneaky bastards!

Quite often, yes. I know when I was in the Mod role we deleted a fair few that could be traced back to companies rather than individuals. They can be well-meaning, eg looking for family to benefit from a will, and some really are looking for long lost friends, but equally there are some sneaky gits out there.