Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student Loans Company: How have they found my address?

Student Loans Company: How have they found my address?

Old Jun 9th 2020, 2:46 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 2
Manuelb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Loans Company: How have they found my address?

Have been paying my loan off monthly since I emigrated years ago. Have always paid the standard monthly for expats in Australia ( a lot, but I want to pay it off and don’t want to send them my payslips every year for the sake of a small discount)

Got a letter from them today at my address in Australia, one month ago they were writing to my mothers address, which Is what I’ve always given them. Just wondering, how would they get my new address if I didn’t tell them?

i thought HMRC but I heard HMRC only send stuff to SLC when you are paying PAYE tax...
Manuelb is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2020, 3:15 pm
  #2  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 15,505
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Student Loans Company: How have they found my address?

Originally Posted by Manuelb View Post
Have been paying my loan off monthly since I emigrated years ago. Have always paid the standard monthly for expats in Australia ( a lot, but I want to pay it off and don’t want to send them my payslips every year for the sake of a small discount)

Got a letter from them today at my address in Australia, one month ago they were writing to my mothers address, which Is what I’ve always given them. Just wondering, how would they get my new address if I didn’t tell them?

i thought HMRC but I heard HMRC only send stuff to SLC when you are paying PAYE tax...
Do you pay tax in Australia? I can't remember where I read this sorry, but I did read that HMRC and the ATO share information so maybe that's it?
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2020, 9:09 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 2
Manuelb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Student Loans Company: How have they found my address?

Pay tax yes. HMRC do have my address in Australia anyway...
Manuelb is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2020, 10:58 pm
  #4  
Prisoner of Her Majesty
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,743
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Student Loans Company: How have they found my address?

Originally Posted by Manuelb View Post
Have been paying my loan off monthly since I emigrated years ago. Have always paid the standard monthly for expats in Australia ( a lot, but I want to pay it off and don’t want to send them my payslips every year for the sake of a small discount)

Got a letter from them today at my address in Australia, one month ago they were writing to my mothers address, which Is what I’ve always given them. Just wondering, how would they get my new address if I didn’t tell them?

i thought HMRC but I heard HMRC only send stuff to SLC when you are paying PAYE tax...
Loan companies will use any possible avenue. They may even speak to former colleagues and anyone living at a previous address of yours. They may then have links with banks or financial institutions in Australia and through them have access to credit reports. They may be able to access ATO reports either directly or through an affiliated company. Companies here with whom you have a bank account, credit card, credit account for white goods etc. And the there are all the other ways of finding someone - social media, names and addresses on petitions, White Pages, imple appeals on site like ths for "I need to find my long lost nephew" - trust me over the years we have seen penty of those on here.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2020, 12:58 am
  #5  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 15,505
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Student Loans Company: How have they found my address?

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Loan companies will use any possible avenue. They may even speak to former colleagues and anyone living at a previous address of yours. They may then have links with banks or financial institutions in Australia and through them have access to credit reports. They may be able to access ATO reports either directly or through an affiliated company. Companies here with whom you have a bank account, credit card, credit account for white goods etc. And the there are all the other ways of finding someone - social media, names and addresses on petitions, White Pages, imple appeals on site like ths for "I need to find my long lost nephew" - trust me over the years we have seen penty of those on here.
Is that what those 'I need to find my long lost nephew' type posts are all about? I've always been a bit suspicious of them, but I never thought of financial institutions/debt collectors. Sneaky bastards!
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2020, 2:21 am
  #6  
Prisoner of Her Majesty
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,743
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Identify Loans Company: How have they found my address?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Is that what those 'I need to find my long lost nephew' type posts are all about? I've always been a bit suspicious of them, but I never thought of financial institutions/debt collectors. Sneaky bastards!
Quite often, yes. I know when I was in the Mod role we deleted a fair few that could be traced back to companies rather than individuals. They can be well-meaning, eg looking for family to benefit from a will, and some really are looking for long lost friends, but equally there are some sneaky gits out there.
Pollyana is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.