Student Loans

Old Apr 11th 2002, 3:25 pm
simon

Default Student Loans

I currently owe the student loan company about £4000. Does anyone know if they are likely to try and collect it from me in Australia. Likewise any tax due to the inland revenue.

Old Apr 11th 2002, 6:30 pm

Default Re: Student Loans

Most likely they would. Or a collection agency will do it for them.

> I currently owe the student loan company about £4000. Does anyone know if they are
    > likely to try and collect it from me in Australia. Likewise any tax due to the
    > inland revenue.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 11th 2002, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

p__sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point

It’s an interesting point. As far as I’m aware you only have to pay back the debt if you are earning over a certain threshold (based on the average UK earnings) Currently this is 19,500... so presumably as long as you are not earning more than 19,500 in your country of choice then you do not pay it back. The loan becomes void if you reach 55 without reaching the threshold. I have to say, it sounds like its too good to be true... at the moment I would have to earn more than NZ$66,000 to start paying my loans back.... and that’s a good wage for the cost of living in NZ.

Can anyone else shed light on the subject, as I’m sure there are a lot of people out there who have this debt?

Paul
Old Apr 11th 2002, 9:46 pm

danny_08_76 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have a student loan debt. On my wageslip you have a student loan box, which is either crossed or not. I assume therefore that the loan is paid back through the PAYE system. Therefore you would be traced through the tax system?

Danny.
Old Apr 13th 2002, 2:00 am
Karl H

simon wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >I currently owe the student loan company about £4000. Does anyone know if they are
    >likely to try and collect it from me in Australia. Likewise any tax due to the
    >inland revenue.

I spoke to the Student Loans people about it, well my gf did and they said that you
just apply for deferment as normal at home until you leave. Then when you get a new
address in Oz inform them and the deferment process remains the same. Good news for
us ) but bad news for the student loans company :0)))

HTH

Karl