Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student Loan Can I Just Disappear?

Wikiposts

Student Loan Can I Just Disappear?

Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Wee Bubba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student Loan Can I Just Disappear?

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Just pay the bloody money back, or dont bother coming to OZ cos I certainly dont want your type here.
you dont know the first thing about me so dont start telling me that you dont want my 'type'.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wee Bubba
you dont know the first thing about me so dont start telling me that you dont want my 'type'.
I know one thing...

you would skip your debts if you could get away with it.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:34 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Don't feel too sorry for this guy, he can afford to go travelling for 11 weeks before he seriously looks for a job
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:36 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Talking Re: Student Loan Can I Just Disappear?

Just pay the bloody money back, or dont bother coming to OZ cos I certainly dont want your type here.
I think hes already disappear
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:41 pm
Z3M
Banned

Z3M will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: Student Loan Can I Just Disappear?

PAY THE DEBT I HOPE THEY HUNT YOU DOWN AND NAIL YOU
Old Apr 20th 2005, 11:09 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know your type.... your a wanker
Old Apr 20th 2005, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Woooo Hooooo, lets get ready to rumble!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 11:41 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

i am emigrating to Oz in 2 weeks (YAY!).

i have a student loan here in the UK which I cannot afford to pay. ive been deferring it for god knows how many years because my salary has never gone over the threshold but it has this time around so they wrote to me last week saying thay will start to take repayments out of my bank account soon.

the way i see it, my bank accounts will be closed, i will no longer be residing at my UK address, and the next of kin I put down on my form when I took the loan out is now deceased. so i cant see how the loans company can track me if i dont ring them up to tell them what im up to.

anyone else done this? thanks.
Hello

Mrs Scossie here.
I worked in the Student Loans Company for 4 years. The department I worked in was Debt Recovery. What I will say to you is your student loan will not go away whether you remain in the UK or come to Australia. The longer you don't pay it the more interest it will gain.

You said you had been deferring it. A lot of students don't realise whilse it is deferred it still gains interest. When I left the interest rate was about 3.5%.

We had lots of students who left the country to go travelling or emigrate and thought their student loan will just disappear. Well it doesn't!
There was many many students who left to live in Australia. Some made payments from Australia, some left their parents to deal with it.

As Mr Scossie said the Death Star will get you. If the loan remains in arrears for a certain period it will be passed onto departments who will try and find you.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but maybe you should just pay it and then you can start your new life with a clear conscience.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 12:25 am
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

Hey, I wank too, don't we all? But I do pay my debts.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Duck
Hey, I wank too, don't we all? But I do pay my debts.

Such originality in your humour ....anyways...he's a loser if he dont pay up.
Come back to haunt him once he lands in UK for whatever reason.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:24 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walaj
Don't feel too sorry for this guy, he can afford to go travelling for 11 weeks before he seriously looks for a job
Lucky for some eh?
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:48 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

What always gets me about threads like this (and there have been a few) is that the original poster will ask the question along the lines of:
"I have a student debt that I cannot pay. If I go to Australia will they know? Can I just not pay, blah blah blah, bludge, bludge, bludge ..."

Then they get all upset when decent honest people who feel that it is right to take responsibility for their actions, pay their way in society, honour their debts etc. start to have a go.

The people who choose to default on payments and run up debts are basically fraudsters and their actions push up the price of loans, insurance and the related things for the rest of us.

If you do not realise that a lot of people will feel angry that you are implying that you want to do this AND you do not realise that the debt does not generally just go away, the only inference I can make is that you are congenitally stupid or unbelievably ignorant - which rather begs the question "what was the student loan used for?" as you do not seem to have wasted any of it on a useful education.

Just my cranky old bastard 2c worth - I think I must have been spiked by the same thing as JTL.

Cheers,

DagBoy

Oh yes - I should add, I have no problem with those whe have the loan and are deferring payment because their earnings do not yet reach the threshold, but most of them seem to either be trying to pay it off or intending to - a huge difference in my book.

Also, if you cannot afford to pay off a student loan, how on earth do you expect to afford to emigrate and support yourself for couple of years before you can start bludging off the state here?

And when you have debts here - where will you go next?

OK OK enough - I am off for my medication ....
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

[scousermode] Calm down, calm down [/scousermode]

No offence to scousers.

Well, not much offence.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

woof woof!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Why do people not realise that the option exists to live in Australia, and pay their UK debts from here? If you run up a debt you are responsible for it. I have UK bills outstanding, and I pay them monthly from here. I have too much of a conscience to do anything else. keep your UK bank account and pay from there.
At the risk of sounding like a preaching old bag (!!!) - I am paying off what I owe, why shouldn't you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.