Wikiposts

Student Debt

Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:10 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bundy
Mind you, some people would say that you should live for the moment and not worry about saving. I have scottish blood in my veins which possibly contributes towards my obsession with saving...that and the fact that I have always wanted/needed an escape fund
Yeah, but I plan on living a VERY long time!

People who live for the moment are the ones who end up on welfare. Those who plan ahead, even if they're not around to enjoy the fruits of their labours themselves, can at least leave with the satisfaction of knowing that they've provided for the people about whom they care.

As far as Scots blood is concerned I'm a quarter Scots by blood, but I've always been told that I'm far too generous! I guess the quarter Irish and half Welsh by blood, and 100% Aussie by inclination overrule the Scots part!!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:16 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Yeah, but I plan on living a VERY long time!

People who live for the moment are the ones who end up on welfare. Those who plan ahead, even if they're not around to enjoy the fruits of their labours themselves, can at least leave with the satisfaction of knowing that they've provided for the people about whom they care.

As far as Scots blood is concerned I'm a quarter Scots by blood, but I've always been told that I'm far too generous! I guess the quarter Irish and half Welsh by blood, and 100% Aussie by inclination overrule the Scots part!!
I don't exactly plan ahead in any great way (I've got as far as 'want to move to Oz') but I always have a savings fund just in case. It's the escape fund and it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know that it's there.

My scottish blood is very diluted by a total mixed bag of other nationalities, but the 'care with money' principal seems to be shining through!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 9:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bundy
I don't exactly plan ahead in any great way (I've got as far as 'want to move to Oz') but I always have a savings fund just in case. It's the escape fund and it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know that it's there.

My scottish blood is very diluted by a total mixed bag of other nationalities, but the 'care with money' principal seems to be shining through!
Living below your means and saving is important as it gives you an edge if things go financially wrong and money can make money. Your instincts will serve you well Bundy. I know people who are declaring themselves bankrupt because they have let their finances get so out of hand and they were the ones who were all smug when they were blowing their credit limits.

I also have a fund with enough for a return airfare just in case someone at home pops off or needs me.

I use credit cards to reduce bank fees and earn me interest on the savings I have to cover the debt.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:51 am
Just Joined

steve0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by downunderpom

My parents, on the other hand, earned good money all their working lives, and never saved any of it. Always rented, always sold up for a fraction of what the household cost, always bought brand new when they got where they were going, "on tick", and paid through the nose in interest. It took many years to get out of the habits they instilled in me, from the example they set.
i have friends that are excatly the same, both have really good jobs (easy excess of £150,000 PA coming in) big house nice cars, 2 holidays a year, all the latest gizmos., etc...
and you'd think a huge wade in the bank.... not so its all on credit and the bank account is always in the overdraft!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:05 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by bondipom
Living below your means and saving is important as it gives you an edge if things go financially wrong and money can make money. Your instincts will serve you well Bundy. I know people who are declaring themselves bankrupt because they have let their finances get so out of hand and they were the ones who were all smug when they were blowing their credit limits.
not always! im looking to go bankrupt, but becuase of things beyond my control.
a few years ago i owned a very successful leisure company that i built up from a part-time hobby, at its peak it was turning over £300-350K a year and employed 3 full time a 4 part time staff in a 2000 sqft office building (on a 9 year lease) then along came foot and mouth and virtully closed me down overnight for 3 months. laided off staff, big advertising campings to bring the business back, but by then it was too late. business dropped by 60% stuck in an office that i had to pay a huge amount of rent & rates on wheater i kept in going or not. and what was a growing business soon nose dived in to the pit of growing debt.
anyway to cut a long story short, business went belly up, house has gone, money has gone and i've been working 2 full time jobs 7 days a week for the last 2 years to try and pay back what is still owed to banks and VAT, with still another 40K to go. so thats my personal reason why i'd be looking towards full bankrupcy in the new year, i only wish i did it earlier. and one reason why im fed up with the way things work in the UK and just want to get away from it all down under...
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:25 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by steve0
a few years ago i owned a very successful leisure company that i built up from a part-time hobby, at its peak it was turning over £300-350K a year and employed 3 full time a 4 part time staff in a 2000 sqft office building (on a 9 year lease) then along came foot and mouth and virtully closed me down overnight for 3 months. laided off staff, big advertising campings to bring the business back, but by then it was too late. business dropped by 60% stuck in an office that i had to pay a huge amount of rent & rates on wheater i kept in going or not. and what was a growing business soon nose dived in to the pit of growing debt.
anyway to cut a long story short, business went belly up, house has gone, money has gone and i've been working 2 full time jobs 7 days a week for the last 2 years to try and pay back what is still owed to banks and VAT, with still another 40K to go. so thats my personal reason why i'd be looking towards full bankrupcy in the new year, i only wish i did it earlier. and one reason why im fed up with the way things work in the UK and just want to get away from it all down under...
In which case, the very best of luck to you. Sounds like you've worked very hard to get yourself out of a situation that wasn't your fault in the first place. For people in your situation, bankruptcy is probably the only option (the lottery being second choice!)
Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:58 pm

Originally posted by steve0
Sounds to me like the big thing that you are getting away from. I hope you find what you want in Oz.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by bondipom
Sounds to me like the big thing that you are getting away from. I hope you find what you want in Oz.
thanks, being self employed in the UK at the moment is hard work. all the new EU rules, work directives, new employee rights, insurance companies taking the pee, property prices, etc... its as if our goverment doesn't want the UK to be competitive in the expanding world wide markets.

but anyway heres hoping that in 12 month time i'll be joining the masses in trying to find a job in NZ!!

last one out turn the light off !!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 11:52 pm
Badge

My bank manager always liked to say that the more money you earn, the more debt you have : they call it the wage spiral, I think.

My Aussie mate says: "start a new business, Badge, but don't employ anyone, it costs a fortune".

Badge

Old Dec 12th 2003, 7:00 am

Do not expect less red tape and tax in Oz and the regulations very from state to state.
Old May 16th 2004, 7:44 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student Debt

Originally posted by jonx8814
Hi guys,

here's my scenario:

I was born in Sydney but left six months later so i have australian citizenship and can get a passport if i want, i also have some long lost relatives on my mums side who live in Oz, basically my question is can i escape my 15k+ of grad debt by running to australia under a new australian passport?

thanks in advance.
Just seen this old posting, Have you looked into declaring yourself bankrupt, seems to be the latest trend
atb