Wikiposts

Student Debt

Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:07 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bundy
I was talking about those people who choose to blow their student loans on beer and then moan about the fact that they have to pay it back a few years down the line. To me, that's frittering it away...
Others might call it pissing it up the wall.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:09 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Others might call it pissing it up the wall.
True. Either way, those who chose this path shouldn't moan about it afterwards.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:38 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I was talking about those people who choose to blow their student loans on beer and then moan about the fact that they have to pay it back a few years down the line. To me, that's frittering it away...
well I don't know what you're talking about...

Yes I frittered it away on beer. Yes I made a foolish choice to borrow money to drink beer aged 18. You never made a foolish chioce aged 18??

But No I was not moaning about having to pay it back. I have, I am, and will be pay back my student debt - and did not say that I shouldn't have to pay it back. Of course I should have to pay it back - my point was that I didn't feel a moral duty to do so, only a practical one.

Read carefully next time.....
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:46 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jandjuk
well I don't know what you're talking about...

Yes I frittered it away on beer. Yes I made a foolish choice to borrow money to drink beer aged 18. You never made a foolish chioce aged 18??

But No I was not moaning about having to pay it back. I have, I am, and will be pay back my student debt - and did not say that I shouldn't have to pay it back. Of course I should have to pay it back - my point was that I didn't feel a moral duty to do so, only a practical one.

Read carefully next time.....
I wasn't talking about you specifically, don't take it personally. I was making the point that there are some people in the world who do seem to think that they can have their cake (beer) and eat (drink) it, that they can get something for nothing. The fact that you are paying you loans back is admirable, whether or not it's a moral decision or a practical one.

And no, I don't recall making any foolish choices aged 18, and certainly not ones about money. But then I don't like beer
. Maybe that's the difference...
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:10 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

I just didn't see anybody else saying they spent it on beer that was all....(could be wrong) I think you were mixing me up with those that actually used it as it was intended!

but anyway..... here's a random to show no hard feelings!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:18 pm
She's a bird, you know

I just didn't see anybody else saying they spent it on beer that was all....(could be wrong) I think you were mixing me up with those that actually used it as it was intended!

but anyway..... here's a random to show no hard feelings!

More than likely got confused, and was probably also adding in thoughts about random people from my own circle of friends at uni...

Anyway, no hard feelings indeed. I doubtless would have frittered my student loan on something had it not been for a pathological fear of debt preventing me from getting a loan in the first place (or an overdraft, credit card, store cards etc etc for that matter).

My brother is a student at the moment and has taken out student loans but he has a consultancy job (jammy git) whilst studying and has been head-hunted already, so we don't need to worry about him sapping tax payers money, even though he does squander it on cheap booze and women.

I should step down from my high horse now and retire gracefully.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:56 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Not in anyway getting involved in any arguement, but a friend of mine is using her money to travel during her course. She lives at home and works a couple of days. The first year she went to Rome, then another place in italy and in the hols she went to Vietnam. She did it all on the cheap back packing and hostels etc. She is 21 and I can't blame her for taking this opportunity. As to whether she will complain about paying it back or not who knows?
Old Dec 9th 2003, 11:00 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Surfer Chick
Not in anyway getting involved in any arguement, but a friend of mine is using her money to travel during her course. She lives at home and works a couple of days. The first year she went to Rome, then another place in italy and in the hols she went to Vietnam. She did it all on the cheap back packing and hostels etc. She is 21 and I can't blame her for taking this opportunity. As to whether she will complain about paying it back or not who knows?
I've got plenty of mates who did that too - funded entire round the world trips after uni with the money from their student loans. Whilst none of them regret taking the trip, they all regret seeing the money disappear out of their accounts each month to pay the loans back....

I've funded my big RTW trips by working like a dog and saving. Hurts at the time, but better in the long run, I think.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 11:04 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

i used one student loand to live off, one to go on a field trip to kenya (yeh i know it was a bit extravegant but it was part of my course) and the other i put towards funding my masters. i have no qualms about paying them back and wish to do so i can be free of it and get on with getting myself in more debt as i get older. its probably not until you have paid of your mortgage can you really ever be free of debt.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:40 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

the thing is that making so much money available to young people (who aren't working) is asking for trouble.

not trying to pass the blame, us young people quickly grow old and realise the error of our ways - but I think there should be greater controls on how loans are dished out to young people.

and it's not just student loans, but credit cards and HP and all that stuff too.

The economy depends on hooking the 18 year olds and keeping them in debt for the rest of their lives.

I could have paid most of my debt back if I'd stayed in NZ and worked the 9 to 5 - but personally, I'd take the travels and experiences I've had in life over being debt free (not so sure about the stereo and the beer however! ). I'm still going to have to put in many more years of the 9 to 5 to pay it all off - but you never know - I might get hit by a bus tomorrow! (touch wood - (I don't that is!))
Old Dec 10th 2003, 7:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

the thing is that making so much money available to young people (who aren't working) is asking for trouble.

not trying to pass the blame, us young people quickly grow old and realise the error of our ways - but I think there should be greater controls on how loans are dished out to young people.

and it's not just student loans, but credit cards and HP and all that stuff too.

The economy depends on hooking the 18 year olds and keeping them in debt for the rest of their lives.

I could have paid most of my debt back if I'd stayed in NZ and worked the 9 to 5 - but personally, I'd take the travels and experiences I've had in life over being debt free (not so sure about the stereo and the beer however! ). I'm still going to have to put in many more years of the 9 to 5 to pay it all off - but you never know - I might get hit by a bus tomorrow! (touch wood - (I don't that is!))
If only it was just young people. Plenty of older people I know cannot get the idea that a credit limit is not the amount you have to spend. Whack in a rule that if a bank lends to much to someone who obviously cannot afford the repayments that the bank cannot recover the money then they will soon get responsible.

As was mentioned before financial education is also needed.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:18 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

If only it was just young people. Plenty of older people I know cannot get the idea that a credit limit is not the amount you have to spend. Whack in a rule that if a bank lends to much to someone who obviously cannot afford the repayments that the bank cannot recover the money then they will soon get responsible.

I totally agree, and I also think that this education should start in primary school, with courses in managing a bank account, cheque book (how to balance it), how mortgages work and then a course in credit, debit and store cards.

The only problem is: who would teach it? With all due respect to teachers, most of them are broke and in debt themselves. How can they teach something they don't know how to do?

I spent many years in serious debt before finding the right books and the right guidance to steer me out of debt.

My No: 1 book for getting out of debt and staying out of it, then building up serious reserves of money is 'The Richest Man In Babylon', by George S Clason. Easy to read, and easy to put in place principles, which actually work!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 7:41 pm
She's a bird, you know

There was some news report over here a couple of days ago talking about the increasing level of debt amongst the over 60s, so it does seem to hit all ages.

I suppose you learn these kind of lessons from your parents. Mine never had any money, but they weren't in debt and they put the fear of god into me about taking on any kind of debt. I thank them for it every day!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 7:56 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

There was some news report over here a couple of days ago talking about the increasing level of debt amongst the over 60s, so it does seem to hit all ages.

I suppose you learn these kind of lessons from your parents. Mine never had any money, but they weren't in debt and they put the fear of god into me about taking on any kind of debt. I thank them for it every day!
Mrs DUP's parents are like that - "if you can't pay cash, then you can't afford it." The only loan they've ever had is a mortgage, and that's paid off. They have simple tastes, and now have everything they want or need.

My parents, on the other hand, earned good money all their working lives, and never saved any of it. Always rented, always sold up for a fraction of what the household cost, always bought brand new when they got where they were going, "on tick", and paid through the nose in interest. It took many years to get out of the habits they instilled in me, from the example they set.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 7:58 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by downunderpom
Mrs DUP's parents are like that - "if you can't pay cash, then you can't afford it." The only loan they've ever had is a mortgage, and that's paid off. They have simple tastes, and now have everything they want or need.

My parents, on the other hand, earned good money all their working lives, and never saved any of it. Always rented, always sold up for a fraction of what the household cost, always bought brand new when they got where they were going, "on tick", and paid through the nose in interest. It took many years to get out of the habits they instilled in me, from the example they set.
Mind you, some people would say that you should live for the moment and not worry about saving. I have scottish blood in my veins which possibly contributes towards my obsession with saving...that and the fact that I have always wanted/needed an escape fund

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.