Wikiposts

Student Debt

Old Dec 7th 2003, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

JTowers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worth a go

Moral issue aside (really isn't one as as far as I can see - why should we live with huge debts over our heads for the rest of our lives for the 'priviledge' of having an education??) it may be possible to avoid the repayments (and ridiculous amounts of interest) by moving to Oz.

My partner and I contacted the SLC before leaving the UK and tried to find out what their procedure is for graduates who end up living abroad. It seems they don't have much of one!

I have a different loan to that of my partner and you should find out which one you have. Mine is an 'old-style' loan and I have so far applied to default on all repayments each year as my income has always remained below the set income threshold (see how much degrees are worth these days?!) So I can pretty much keep doing that as long as I continue to earn a pittance (which seems likely given the fact that I am now earning aussie $).

However, they changed the rules for anyone entering the loans system the following year and (surprise, surprise) lowered the income threshold and put an end to default applications. These newer loans (which my partner has) are tied directly to your earnings and taken automatically from any wages you earn via the inland revenue. Thus if you are not earning in the UK deductions cannot be taken but their policy is that it is your responsibility to contact the SLC once you are working abroad to work out how much you would owe them per month and then send them a cheque for that amount - very likely to happen!!!

Their whole 'plan' on how this would work practically seems very sketchy to me and even if you were to return to the UK after a few years all that would happen is that you would start repayments again direct from your wages once you started working. They would be unable to chase you for missed payments while you were out of the country as they have no way of knowing what you were up to.

That's it as far as I know - I was working at a Uni as a student advisor when I looked into this so was able to use contacts within the SLC to get the info but if anyone out there knows any more / anything different it would be good to hear! Our plan is for me to defer once more when April comes around while my partner will send cheques to the SLC every month as they 'suggest' - not!!!

By the way, we didn't move to Oz just to escape student debt but it may well end up as one of the many advantages of the move so far!

Jesse
Old Dec 7th 2003, 3:44 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Worth a go

Originally posted by JTowers
Moral issue aside (really isn't one as as far as I can see - why should we live with huge debts over our heads for the rest of our lives for the 'priviledge' of having an education??) it may be possible to avoid the repayments (and ridiculous amounts of interest) by moving to Oz.

Their whole 'plan' on how be good to hear! Our plan is for me to defer once more when April comes around while my partner will send cheques to the SLC every month as they 'suggest' - not!!!

By the way, we didn't move to Oz just to escape student debt but it may well end up as one of the many advantages of the move so far!

Jesse
I agree with Karawara, DUP and Dagboy on this one. All of my education has been paid for as I worked full time and took classes part time all the way thorugh college and university. Whilst working ever since I left school I have paid taxes that support the education system.

I know student debts can be high, but that is the reality, I didn't have student debts because I worked and studied part time, if you chosse to study full time then the money to support you has to come from somewhere. Life isn't a free ride and yes you are priveledge because millions of people do not have the same opportunity you have had.

And why some people feel they can rob and cheat the system and then 'boast' about it is beyond me.

It reminds me of shoplifters, who justify their behaviour are 'taking from major companies' but its people like me who have worked hard, sometimes had more than one job to try to get an education and keep a roof over my head, who have to pay the inflated shop prices to cover the companies 'los' through theft.

Most students pay off their debts and I think they wouldn't want to be tarnished with the same brush and associated to those of you on here, who appear to have learnt little despite the opportunities available to you.

I have no doubt that you will be pursued for these debts, to assume that their are loopholes that you can get through is naive. If you want to leave the country make sure you don't want to go back. Companies don't like to lose money and I am sure your not the only students to think you can get away with it. (How bright are you )

There was a programme on in the Uk about 6 months ago, the guy worked as a debt collector, he had been in Australia for a year and had got a speeding ticket that he hadn't paid. They tracked him down and the bill turned up at his UK address. Nice

Watch out it might not be just 'yellow' envelopes coming through the letter box.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 3:49 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My partner and I contacted the SLC before leaving the UK and tried to find out what their procedure is for graduates who end up living abroad. It seems they don't have much of one!

I have a different loan to that of my partner and you should find out which one you have. Mine is an 'old-style' loan and I have so far applied to default on all repayments each year as my income has always remained below the set income threshold (see how much degrees are worth these days?!) So I can pretty much keep doing that as long as I continue to earn a pittance (which seems likely given the fact that I am now earning aussie $).

However, they changed the rules for anyone entering the loans system the following year and (surprise, surprise) lowered the income threshold and put an end to default applications. These newer loans (which my partner has) are tied directly to your earnings and taken automatically from any wages you earn via the inland revenue. Thus if you are not earning in the UK deductions cannot be taken but their policy is that it is your responsibility to contact the SLC once you are working abroad to work out how much you would owe them per month and then send them a cheque for that amount - very likely to happen!!!

Their whole 'plan' on how this would work practically seems very sketchy to me and even if you were to return to the UK after a few years all that would happen is that you would start repayments again direct from your wages once you started working. They would be unable to chase you for missed payments while you were out of the country as they have no way of knowing what you were up to.

That's it as far as I know - I was working at a Uni as a student advisor when I looked into this so was able to use contacts within the SLC to get the info but if anyone out there knows any more / anything different it would be good to hear! Our plan is for me to defer once more when April comes around while my partner will send cheques to the SLC every month as they 'suggest' - not!!!

Jesse
I am with the older style loan with deferments and fixed repayments. The policy is to inform them of any change of address (which the bastards ignore). At deferral time you have to send in a copy 3 months payslips and then you have no repayments for a year. Interest is currently about 3%.

The bugger with older style loans is that repayments are either nothing or everything. BTW because the student loan company did not change my address I never got my defferal notices and they put an international tracing company on me. Who knows if they would have found me or not but on return to the UK I called to change address again which they did not do. I applied for a lease in the UK which I got but this flagged in the tracing company. I told them I had been in contact with the SLC and that was the last of it.

After huge arguments with the SLC I eventually arranged suitable terms and deferements carried on. I do not know about moving abroad for the new style loans but look on their web site and I am sure you will find a policy.

I have no idea how effective international traces are and what they are able to do in Australia but they do exist. You will always have that fear whenever you apply for credit or that mortgage for your dream house the SLC will come knocking on your door.

Being a student costs a fortune especially as fees are now payable and government grants have been replaced by loans. Both in Oz and in the UK fees are rising exponentially.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 4:07 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Jesse
If you cannot see the moral issue then I guess you would fall into the same category as the thieving gits we had who broke into our property, stole everything they could and used the house as a squat and a base for their drug dealing.

What could we do? Nothing. What could the police do? not a lot more.

The squatters seemed to think along the same lines as you "why should we live with huge debts over our heads for the rest of our lives for the 'privilege' of having a home".

Of course you are right - why should you have to pay for stuff? Why shouldn't you just get a totally free education? Why shouldn't we support you so that you have an easy life.

I just have two points.
First - nobody made you take out a loan rather than work to pay for your education.
Second - since you seem to have a problem spelling words like privilege can I suggest that you either see if you can get a refund for your education (since it was obviously not that good) or stop using 'big' words.

If you truly see shirking your responsibilities as one of the advantages of the move, then I feel sorry for you (and even sorrier for your landlord/bank/employer).

I am going to stop posting on this subject now - it is just making me cross.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 4:22 pm

Originally posted by DagBoy

Why shouldn't you just get a totally free education?
Thats a whole separate debate in itself. Free education is a society leveler and gives opportunities to everyone and gives benefits to the economy in terms of skilled workers.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Just to clarify, I do not 'rob the system' nor am I 'boasting' about doing so. I was simply sharing information I had obtained in response to the question posed. I have not repaid any of my student loan as so far I have not earnt enough money to put me in the threshold of having to do so.

Just like you I too have paid taxes that support the education system but unlike you I'm not bitter about doing so nor could I give two hoots if a proportion of people don't repay their loans because they can think of a way around it.

Life certainly isn't a free ride and actually no most students don't end up paying off their entire student debt particularly these days when the loans being offered are so large and the interest piled on top so high (not to mention courses being being mis-sold to students by universitys. The number of students I saw who discovered half way through their courses that they really shouldn't have taken them on in the first place is shocking. But then it's all about the numbers...)

The fact is the system doesn't work, the SLC are completely inept and frequently make mistakes with people's accounts, they are totally frustrating to deal with and perhaps I would have more respect for the system if I could see it was actually serving a useful purpose. It isn't. The prediction is that student debt will continue to rise as higher education becomes available only to those who can pay for it.

As I said I intend to defer again but I really don't see why my partner should enter in to this vague-at-best arrangement with the SLC to send them cheques each month. I just don't trust them to administer it properly and maybe they will track him down one day and insist he begin repayments, maybe they won't. I'm not too bothered either way I just know that not having to deal with the SLC (who became the bane of my life) either through work or personally is a god-send!

Jesse

Originally posted by Jirrupin
I agree with Karawara, DUP and Dagboy on this one. All of my education has been paid for as I worked full time and took classes part time all the way thorugh college and university. Whilst working ever since I left school I have paid taxes that support the education system.

I know student debts can be high, but that is the reality, I didn't have student debts because I worked and studied part time, if you chosse to study full time then the money to support you has to come from somewhere. Life isn't a free ride and yes you are priveledge because millions of people do not have the same opportunity you have had.

And why some people feel they can rob and cheat the system and then 'boast' about it is beyond me.

It reminds me of shoplifters, who justify their behaviour are 'taking from major companies' but its people like me who have worked hard, sometimes had more than one job to try to get an education and keep a roof over my head, who have to pay the inflated shop prices to cover the companies 'los' through theft.

Most students pay off their debts and I think they wouldn't want to be tarnished with the same brush and associated to those of you on here, who appear to have learnt little despite the opportunities available to you.

I have no doubt that you will be pursued for these debts, to assume that their are loopholes that you can get through is naive. If you want to leave the country make sure you don't want to go back. Companies don't like to lose money and I am sure your not the only students to think you can get away with it. (How bright are you )

There was a programme on in the Uk about 6 months ago, the guy worked as a debt collector, he had been in Australia for a year and had got a speeding ticket that he hadn't paid. They tracked him down and the bill turned up at his UK address. Nice

Watch out it might not be just 'yellow' envelopes coming through the letter box.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Privilege - may have mis-spelt it but it's hardly a 'big word' is it? Perhaps in your vocabulary...Really see no connection between this thread and squatters in your house, sorry.

If you cannot see the moral issue then I guess you would fall into the same category as the thieving gits we had who broke into our property, stole everything they could and used the house as a squat and a base for their drug dealing.

The squatters seemed to think along the same lines as you "why should we live with huge debts over our heads for the rest of our lives for the 'privilege' of having a home".

Of course you are right - why should you have to pay for stuff? Why shouldn't you just get a totally free education? Why shouldn't we support you so that you have an easy life.

I just have two points.
First - nobody made you take out a loan rather than work to pay for your education.
Second - since you seem to have a problem spelling words like privilege can I suggest that you either see if you can get a refund for your education (since it was obviously not that good) or stop using 'big' words.

If you truly see shirking your responsibilities as one of the advantages of the move, then I feel sorry for you (and even sorrier for your landlord/bank/employer).

Old Dec 7th 2003, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Ooops, just noticed your other useful contribution: 'nobody made you take out a loan rather than work to pay for your education'. As it goes I held down two part-time jobs while studying full-time for 3 years. Unfortunately the wages didn't quite cover rent, course costs, travel to and from uni, food etc. etc. etc.

I just have two points.

Old Dec 7th 2003, 5:12 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Really see no connection between this thread and squatters in your house, sorry.
You really cant see that taking something & not paying for it- whether it be a loan for education (or anything else) or something that belongs to someone else (or a shop/company) - is nothing less than stealing??

That's sad!!

BTW, as someone else has mention in this thread (& many others in the past when people have naively thought that they can walk away from responsibilities), apart from the fact that companies do *sell* their debts to companies in other countries & its very likely that you will end up with someone knocking on your door, I wouldnt like your chances if you ever have to apply for a loan/mortgage or get a police check for a job etc. Imagine completely stuffing your whole life up for a lousy student loan. I guess it wont matter if you had an education or not when you are in prison .
Old Dec 7th 2003, 6:42 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Sometimes I think people can get into situations with loans etc that they find hard to get out of and I can sympathize with them but going to another country and leaving the debt is a different story.

When we came out here we paid off our credit card bills but could have easily left it behind. I would have been to scared that they would have found me though!! and look at our situation now, we are going back to the UK but don't have a worry about getting a mortgage or another credit card if we need it because we are debt free.

I would certainly think twice about leaving it all behind, especailly if you need to return to the UK and want a mortgage etc, you would be black listed for at least 8 years.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 8:19 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
Thats a whole separate debate in itself. Free education is a society leveler and gives opportunities to everyone and gives benefits to the economy in terms of skilled workers.
BP I'm surprised - I expected more common sense from you. There is NO SUCH THING as 'free education'. End of story. Somewhere, somehow, SOMEBODY has to pay - if it's not these thieving gits then it's the taxpayer. That is, you and me, and all the others on the forum who pay taxes.

Take Oz - how is the education system paid for? Answer - by tax money and fee paying students.
Who pays these fees and tax money? Answer - the fee paying students, and the taxpayers, whether they themselves go to Uni or not.
Who gets the benefit of this education? The students who then use the skills and knowledge they've gained to get higher paid jobs: jobs in air-conditioned offices, hospitals, and what have you, rather than out in all weathers, humping loads of bricks and rubble around, or sweeping floors for a pittance.

I paid for all of my University education, by going to the Open University, and taking my degree while working a full time job. Zero social life for four years. My wife paid for her Uni education, gaining an Honours degree while working every weekend, every holiday, and lots of evenings, too. Both my wife and I ended up with more money in the bank at the end of our degrees than when we started. We made sacrifices, and are now reaping the benefits, with a strong work ethic, and our heads held high, because we did it for ourselves, without any handouts and without cheating anyone else.

For those of you who are contemplating running out on your Uni debts - I pity you - every day you will have to look in the mirror and see a scheming, cheating, lying, pathetic loser looking back at you.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:15 pm

Originally posted by downunderpom
BP I'm surprised - I expected more common sense from you. There is NO SUCH THING as 'free education'. End of story. Somewhere, somehow, SOMEBODY has to pay - if it's not these thieving gits then it's the taxpayer. That is, you and me, and all the others on the forum who pay taxes.

Take Oz - how is the education system paid for? Answer - by tax money and fee paying students.
Who pays these fees and tax money? Answer - the fee paying students, and the taxpayers, whether they themselves go to Uni or not.
Who gets the benefit of this education? The students who then use the skills and knowledge they've gained to get higher paid jobs: jobs in air-conditioned offices, hospitals, and what have you, rather than out in all weathers, humping loads of bricks and rubble around, or sweeping floors for a pittance.
Downunderpom I mentioned education in a broad sense of tertiary education not just degrees. I am very much aware that education has to be paid for by someone hence I advcocate fee free education for those courses that develop employees that are in demand and create economic wealth. I make no distinction between a bricky, a doctor or a nurse as long as society is giving all a fair go.

I also believe in a fair tax system that means the brickie paying a pittance is not subsidising a system that benefits the wealthy who are not paying their fair share.

Skilled workers wherever they work are important to all of us and your current predicament with building shows how important a proper supply of the right skilled work force is.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:25 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Moral issue aside (really isn't one as as far as I can see - why should we live with huge debts over our heads for the rest of our lives for the 'priviledge' of having an education??)
Jesse
I agree with Jirrupin. I've had a great education, a total privilege (as Jesse might say)...but I have no student - or other - debt. Why? Because I worked my arse off to fund my studies and put enough effort in to get scholarships, bursaries etc. If I can do it, so can others. Relying on loans and debt is no answer and if you wish to live that way, you have to accept the fact that you will have debt hanging over your head. Can't get something for nothing.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Doing a runner

I am not sure it is worth going on the run for student debt. You are likely to have to return to the UK at some point, do you never want to see your families again? 52% of expats return for good. Also UK and Oz have taxation agreements, I would not be surprised if an attachment was placed on your earnings in Australia.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

steve0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by downunderpom
I'm just looking forward to the day when steveO finds out that NZ won't touch him with a sterilised bargepole. Pity jonx has the right to enter Oz, or he'd be shown the door, too. Still, he's young, there's plenty of time for Life to deal him his just desserts.
so your thinking that no one has every moved to NZ after becoming bankrupt?

moral issues aside, i'll probably be bankrupt next year anyway, either i do it myself, or a creditor will do it for me. should it make any difference whether i sit out the listed period in the UK or in NZ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.