Student Debt

Old Dec 6th 2003, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

jonx8814 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Student Debt

Hi guys,

here's my scenario:

I was born in Sydney but left six months later so i have australian citizenship and can get a passport if i want, i also have some long lost relatives on my mums side who live in Oz, basically my question is can i escape my 15k+ of grad debt by running to australia under a new australian passport?

thanks in advance.
Old Dec 6th 2003, 3:39 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

I think it is unlikely, do a search on here as there have been quite a few threads recently.

Sarah
Old Dec 6th 2003, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student Debt

Originally posted by jonx8814
Hi guys,

here's my scenario:

I was born in Sydney but left six months later so i have australian citizenship and can get a passport if i want, i also have some long lost relatives on my mums side who live in Oz, basically my question is can i escape my 15k+ of grad debt by running to australia under a new australian passport?

thanks in advance.
If you do, lets hope they catch up with you. Why should the rest of society have to pay there debts and not you?
Old Dec 6th 2003, 10:48 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

here's my scenario:

thanks in advance.
Not worth it as they can sell the debt. My advice is to pay off the higher interest bearing loans and defer the student loan. Otherwise you will always have that hanging behind you.

BTW as you have Aussie citizenship you are supposed to use your Aussie passport on arrival and departure from Australia.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:57 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Is this your philosophy? Bludge off everyone else, take the money, then two fingers to the people who trusted you, and do a runner?

I take it your word is worth nothing? You agreed to repay the money you borrowed, now bloody well do it.

If you don't, there's a word to describe you - "thief". Several other words spring to mind, as well.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:14 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by downunderpom
Is this your philosophy? Bludge off everyone else, take the money, then two fingers to the people who trusted you, and do a runner?

I take it your word is worth nothing? You agreed to repay the money you borrowed, now bloody well do it.

If you don't, there's a word to describe you - "thief". Several other words spring to mind, as well.
Come on, anyone who can get away without repaying bastard loan companies back gets my thumbs up! Debt is sinking large numbers of people and the aggressive 'Got a house? Then just sign here and don't worry about a thing.." approach that loan companies are taking these days is the real criminal act. Not paying back an interest free loan from a mate is a despicable act but please don't waste any sympathy on loan companies!!
Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:21 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Kentish Man
Come on, anyone who can get away without repaying bastard loan companies back gets my thumbs up! Debt is sinking large numbers of people and the aggressive 'Got a house? Then just sign here and don't worry about a thing.." approach that loan companies are taking these days is the real criminal act. Not paying back an interest free loan from a mate is a despicable act but please don't waste any sympathy on loan companies!!
Are you naive enough to think that the loan companies just 'eat' these defaulted debts? No - they pass them on to honest people in the form of administrative fees, and claims on insurance policies, which then mean that other people pay inflated costs to cover this sort of cheating.

TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. It's the same with 'free' health care - there's no such thing.

What worries me about jonx's question is: is this the way he looks at life? "The World Owes Me A Living!" Well it bloody well doesn't, and the sooner he realises that the better.

If you want to say "That's alright, mate, you don't have to pay..." then YOU cover his debt, don't go foisting it off onto others.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:32 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Are you naive enough to think that the loan companies just 'eat' these defaulted debts? No - they pass them on to honest people in the form of administrative fees, and claims on insurance policies, which then mean that other people pay inflated costs to cover this sort of cheating.

TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. It's the same with 'free' health care - there's no such thing.

What worries me about jonx's question is: is this the way he looks at life? "The World Owes Me A Living!" Well it bloody well doesn't, and the sooner he realises that the better.

If you want to say "That's alright, mate, you don't have to pay..." then YOU cover his debt, don't go foisting it off onto others.
Well it happens so get used to it. Jonx being honest and paying up isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to anyone's life on here and if he wants to screw the slc over good luck. You'll never get anything from these people for free so if you can take something then well done.

Not my job to cover his debt but I feel really guilty that the chairman of the slc might have to go home at Christmas and say 'sorry Tiny Tim, no turkey this year. That rogue Jonx has done a bunk'.

If any of you can get a break from theInland Revenue or financial institutions then do it! How much do the bastards get from us?!
Old Dec 7th 2003, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Talking

Well thank you everyone for your input.

Downunderpom I was'nt really interested in the moral issues surrounding my evasion of student loan, more the practicalities of dodging the SLC down-under, how persistent they would be in chasing me up, the number of years before the loan lapses in the UK etc....
Old Dec 7th 2003, 11:28 pm
I like kittens.

Downunderpom I was'nt really interested in the moral issues surrounding my evasion of student loan, more the practicalities of dodging the SLC down-under, how persistent they would be in chasing me up, the number of years before the loan lapses in the UK etc....
Ah, so it's purely a 'can I get away with it?' question - 'what are the chances of me getting caught, and being fined out of my socks?' If you want to go down that road then don't be surprised when you get a knock at the door, and don't even consider bleating and blubbing when you get caught. You can't have it both ways.

It's my contention that you SHOULD be interested in the moral issue - if you're not prepared to accept responsibility for your own actions then how can you be hypocritical enough to expect anyone else to accept THEIR responsibilites? That way lies anarchy.

As far as I can tell, going off what you've said, you're one of these parasites who bleats about 'My Rights' all the time without ever once mentioning 'My Responsibilities'.

'What goes around, comes around'. You'll get yours, and when that happens you can think back to the choices you are now making, and finally accept your responsibility.

But no - you're the sort who will always look for someone else to blame. The buck stops here, boy. I say 'boy' because you're obviously not a man, when you don't have guts enough to shoulder the debt which YOU ran up, without anyone twisting your arm.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

steve0 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you intending to move back soon, something else you could consider is bankruptcy. make sure you have bugger all in the bank or savings, ship over or sell your good stuff you dont want and then declare yourself personally bankrupt. i dont know the exact in and outs of it, but from what i gather, your bankrupt in the UK for 3 years and have bad credit for 6 years from the point they issue a CCJ in your name.

i think the way it works is they can take assests / money from your bank during the three years to try and repay some of the debt. but as you'll be sat in the sun down under that wont affect you.

this is something i've started looking at for myself, i have a ton of CCJ's and loans from a business that went bad during the foot and mouth breakout a couple of years ago, got way over my head with money problems, business went belly up and im still paying for it and will be for quite a while. i'd be a liar if i said one of the reasons i'm looking to move away wasn't to dump the debt and try to start again with a clean sheet, without people knocking on my door asking what i've earnt this month.

if you do google search for bankrupt theres loads of info.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Cheers for the info steveO... hopefully i'll soon be joining downunderpom and all those other cheery expats in the sun.

Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:50 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

While you are at it then why don't you ask how easy it is to shoplift over here? And how easy is it to break in to houses and steal stuff? Since you obviously have limited moral standards.

It is a shame you are an Aussie citizen. If you were applying for some form of PR they ask questions about your criminial past (I am pretty sure deliberately defaulting on a loan is criminal). Of course, you can lie - but if they later find out your PR etc can be removed.

If you do decide to steal from the honest members of society who fund bludgers like you with our taxes and insurance premiums etc. all I can say is I bloody well hope you get caught.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 1:04 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by DagBoy
While you are at it then why don't you ask how easy it is to shoplift over here? And how easy is it to break in to houses and steal stuff? Since you obviously have limited moral standards.

It is a shame you are an Aussie citizen. If you were applying for some form of PR they ask questions about your criminial past (I am pretty sure deliberately defaulting on a loan is criminal). Of course, you can lie - but if they later find out your PR etc can be removed.

If you do decide to steal from the honest members of society who fund bludgers like you with our taxes and insurance premiums etc. all I can say is I bloody well hope you get caught.
Forget it,Dagboy - we're dealing with the morally bereft. I'm not wasting my breath on these losers any more. I'm just looking forward to the day when steveO finds out that NZ won't touch him with a sterilised bargepole. Pity jonx has the right to enter Oz, or he'd be shown the door, too. Still, he's young, there's plenty of time for Life to deal him his just desserts.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 1:10 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Forget it,Dagboy - we're dealing with the morally bereft. I'm not wasting my breath on these losers any more. I'm just looking forward to the day when steveO finds out that NZ won't touch him with a sterilised bargepole. Pity jonx has the right to enter Oz, or he'd be shown the door, too. Still, he's young, there's plenty of time for Life to deal him his just desserts.
Yeah - I realised I was wasting my time and effort to post, but people like that piss me off bigtime. I have had to deal with too many of them - tenants who default on rent, thieving squatters, people who reckon taking other peoples stuff is acceptable, people who want to claim benefits from centrelink, claim medicare rebates etc. but also want to lie and cheat with their tax returns or skip their debts because "they have had it tough and the world owes them a living". What the world owes them is a f###ing good slapping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.