Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stuartholme School- Brisbane

Stuartholme School- Brisbane

Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of
Default Stuartholme School- Brisbane

Does anyone know much about this school? They have space for our 13 year old daughter and we like the looks of the school but wondered if anyone knew anything more about it.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:45 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stuartholme School- Brisbane

Firstly look at some of the raw stats:

http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/downloads/...utcomes_10.pdf

http://www.myschool.edu.au/MainPages...qZepl9gPJUdXCj

Its clear that Stuartholme is a high performing school. However, its quite an expensive school too @$12K a year.

Its results dont quite stack up to the 'best of the best' schools (Brisbane Girls Grammar, Sommerville, St Peters Lutheran) - But they come in a bit more expensive too at around $17-18k a year.

For my money Stuartholme is not as good a prospect as Brisbane State High (which has excellent results - also competes in sporting events with all the above mentioned private schools - and has the benefit of being a state school so very low fees), and in terms of academic performance is only a hairs bredth better than other top performing state high school like The Gap State High. Also a better performer is "All Hallows" in the city which has slightly cheaper fees than Stuartholme - and is also a Catholic school.

That said - Stuartholme is a very pleasant place perched up on the hill beside Mt Cootha and if you live in Toowong/Bardon/Ashgrove area its reasonably convenient and definately one of Brisbane better schools.

Historically Stuartholme used to be comprised mainly of boarders and was very much an enclave of wealthy country kids rather than being a school for 'privileged city folk' - So its possible that the attitude of the place is slightly less snooty and more down to earth than some of the other 'named' schools in Brisbane.

Picking a school is a hell of a job... even armed with all the stats, the history and the vibe of the places I cant make up my mind where to send my kids!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:26 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to informative posts, Dadagain and Fish.01 have cornered the market I reckon !

PunkDebutante- can't really help you out, but it does look like a nice school perched up on mt couttha. Your daughter will have nice views of the city.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:11 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Where are you going to be living as both Kenmore and Indooroopilly State High Schools have good results.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Thank you all so much. We did like the looks of All Hallows but unfortunately they are full up with a huge waiting list. And as much as we would love not to pay fees, we want an all girls school for her (and her twin sisters coming up behind her). We have narrowed our list of suburbs to be around Chapel Hill, Kenmore, Graceville, Fig Tree Pocket and so forth. My husband is quite sold on The Gap as well.

Last edited by PunkDebutante; Jun 2nd 2011 at 7:53 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:10 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

If you end up in The Gap and are sold on the idea of single sex schools, Mt St Michaels school in Ashgrove has an ok reputation (is very easy trip from The Gap) and is probably a tad cheaper than Stuartholme.

I'd check the same links above for the essential statistical data.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:32 pm
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
Thank you all so much. We did like the looks of All Hallows but unfortunately they are full up with a huge waiting list. And as much as we would love not to pay fees, we want an all girls school for her (and her twin sisters coming up behind her). We have narrowed our list of suburbs to be around Chapel Hill, Kenmore, Graceville, Fig Tree Pocket and so forth. My husband is quite sold on The Gap as well.
Have a look at St Aiden's in Corinda if you want an all girls school.

We have two girls and whilst we initailly were interested in St Aiden's we have elected to go for St Peter's in Indooroopilly which is co-ed. The grounds, facilities and results are what tipped us in the end.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

My nephew also went to St Peters and its an excellent school. We lived in that area and would have chosen Chapel Hill State for primary and St Peters for secondary.

At primary my other nephew goes to Saint Ignatius in Toowong and that is also a lovely school.

My family have always lived at Brookfield, I lived at chapel hill. I live now on the Sunshine Coast though