Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Struggling with settling in.

Struggling with settling in.

Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:36 am
Liz

lizhenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Struggling with settling in.

I have two children, they are in my first choice schools, we have our cars, but nowhere to live - currently in serviced apartments. The dog arrives on 21st Nov, and now I am really panicking. I can not find a house that will even take a dog, never mind be suitable i.e. have some kind of back garden. My son is going to Churchie, and daughter is going to Moreton Bay. I am really struggling with settling, feel quite sick about the whole thing actually. Does anybody know of anywhere suitable? Is it usual to feel the way I do i.e. 'what have I done?' I'm dreading Christmas.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:38 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Struggling with settling in.

Originally Posted by lizhenshaw
I have two children, they are in my first choice schools, we have our cars, but nowhere to live - currently in serviced apartments. The dog arrives on 21st Nov, and now I am really panicking. I can not find a house that will even take a dog, never mind be suitable i.e. have some kind of back garden. My son is going to Churchie, and daughter is going to Moreton Bay. I am really struggling with settling, feel quite sick about the whole thing actually. Does anybody know of anywhere suitable? Is it usual to feel the way I do i.e. 'what have I done?' I'm dreading Christmas.
Where are you?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:43 am
Liz

Currently in Brisbane, Fortitude valley, but need to be somewhere (anywhere) bewteen manly West and the City on the South side.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:49 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Currently in Brisbane, Fortitude valley, but need to be somewhere (anywhere) bewteen manly West and the City on the South side.
I'm not in Brisbane, but all i can say is that maybe you feel unsettled because you are not in your own house, your dog is on it's way over and are worried about the future...yes all is natural to feel this way. Small things seem to be big things that worry the hell out of you.
Very early days yet and until you move to the area you want to be, then i don't think this will be helping.
I'm in Perth and would love to be in Brisbane. I panic all the time, still do 19 months later. We all settle at different times. I hope you feel better soon. Just give things more time if you can.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:08 pm
Liz

Crikey 19 months later and you are still panicing!!?? I know you are right, I just want to skip this bit and get some base and familiarity going, the trouble is I could quite easily jump on a plane and go back!! Feeling terribly down at the moment.

By the way for anyone else going through what I am i.e. getting traumatised just looking for a house, we have a house in Perth which is newly built - we should be there, but we are not - we chose Brisbane instead??. If anyone wants to rent a house, I have one - its 4 bedroom in Ellenbrook, and happy to take a dog, because I know what its like!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:17 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few rentals around the area you mentioned that will take dogs. Might have to become an 'outside' dog but they get used to it, especially after quarintine. I assume you have looked through realestate.com. What we found was 3 months rent upfront helped swing things.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Liz I am sure you have looked at private rentals? someone on here not long ago was saying sometimes if you offer a higher bond then that might do the trick have a search back through some threads I'm sure you will find some help there.
Hope you soon feel better we arrive in 2 weeks and mixed emotions excited yet scared. our dog flies out on monday providing her second lepto blood test comes back ok
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:16 pm
Liz

Originally Posted by Stitch
There's a few rentals around the area you mentioned that will take dogs. Might have to become an 'outside' dog but they get used to it, especially after quarintine. I assume you have looked through realestate.com. What we found was 3 months rent upfront helped swing things.

Cheers

Ginny
Yes I have looked at realestate.com, still no luck - will try your tactic of 3 months. Thanks. Liz
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:15 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have looked at realestate.com, still no luck - will try your tactic of 3 months. Thanks. Liz
Have the application all filled out before you go to view that way of you like it you can go straight to the office.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:16 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Might I suggest getting out of the Valley and into Bayside area as whole. The commute into the CBD is 30 mins and rentals are commonplace.

Word of advice - dont bother surfing for rentals, go to the agents personally and talk to them. The only thing which end up on realestate.com are overpriced rentals that wont shift and been available for a few days.

Speak to Redlands Realty - did an excellent job for us when we arrived and very respected in the area as whole. http://www.redlandsrealty.com.au/

I really cant stress not bothering with looking on the internet enough. Be prepared to be able to view and put a deposit down there and then if you like something.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

carolinelaurie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there please dont panic.. I know easy for me to say but i have been there too. We arrived three months ago and stayed in holiday accommodation. We have two dogs and like you began to panic as could not find anywhere that took one dog let alone two! I had not even given it a second thought. We eventually found somewhere but was grotty but i was just relieved not be homeless and hey cleaning the house top to bottom would give me something to do.... there was no need as the very same day a brand new home came up really really lovely the builder rents out alot of his homes and is a dog lover, I just had to sign to say i would get the carpets cleaned and a flea bomb when we leave... the down side was the size of the garden but i had to compromise and there is a park up the road so i walk to dogs there and the kids everyday. From what i have found no one seems to have a garden here! Not sure if anyones told you but as soon as you find somewhere and you have your dog you need to get a dog licence from the council. We did not know this either at the time and felt like everywhere we turned there was another obstacle. We have been here three months now and still finding it hard to settle but we move (AGAIN) next week as we have bought somewhere of our own. I am hoping that once we move in and our furniture arrives it will feel a little more like home. Good luck i am sure you will find somewhere..Another tip - Make sure you befriend an agent and contact them everyday, no-one seems to ring people on their waiting list

Let us know when you get fixed up
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

carolinelaurie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion

Word of advice - dont bother surfing for rentals, go to the agents personally and talk to them. The only thing which end up on realestate.com are overpriced rentals that wont shift and been available for a few days.

I really cant stress not bothering with looking on the internet enough. Be prepared to be able to view and put a deposit down there and then if you like something.

This is true we took deposit, passports, references, bank statements etc etc to every viewing as you will need to apply there and then