Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The strong winds at perth beaches

The strong winds at perth beaches

Old Dec 25th 2008, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice
Default The strong winds at perth beaches

I know the wind that blows inland from the coast is called the Fremantle Doctor but it's not doing anything to make me feel good!

Apparently it starts around lunchtime but in the last 10 days it doesn't matter which beach I have gone to nor what time in the morning it still seems to be blowing a gale. It has meant the kids are freezing after 5 mins in the sea and we are getting constantly sand whipped. It feels really frustrating and is spoiling what could be a beautiful day playing at the beach.

We wanted to go the beach today for christmas and drove up to Yanchep as someone told us this was more sheltered however we got there at 11 am and were nearly blown away the minute we stepped from the car and it felt really COLD!! We ended up drining down to Hilary's boat harbour as this was less windy but it wasn't christmas day on the beautiful beach we had imagined!
(Although don't get me wrong it was still lovely to have sunshine and watch the kids playing out in it)

Can anyone shed any light on this constant wind? Is it always like this or is the wind unusually strong at the moment. Are there any sheltered child safe beaches to go to where the wind is gentler? And when does it stop?!!
Old Dec 25th 2008, 11:57 am
Just Joined

genie79 has a spectacular aura aboutgenie79 has a spectacular aura aboutgenie79 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The strong winds at perth beaches

Hi, Perth seems to be getting a windy city. Every afternoon it seems to pick up. We were at Cottesloe today and it was very windy. I am the person selling the furniture are you still interested?
Old Dec 25th 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

This heavy wind is unusal for this time of the year. Last year we had +41 on xmas day and +44 on boxing day and were sweating and every little wind blow was feeling really good. Today at City Beach we were blown away so we quickly grabbed our staff and went to the Kings Park where it was protected from the wind and it felt warm. Summer this year is really strange and a way too cold and mixed. Maybe it is just delayed and it gets hotter in Jan/Febr. Who knows.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by genie79
Hi, Perth seems to be getting a windy city. Every afternoon it seems to pick up. We were at Cottesloe today and it was very windy. I am the person selling the furniture are you still interested?
Perth is the 2. windiest city in the world.
And wind in the afternoon, also known as 'Fremantle Doctor' is normal for Perth.

Last edited by Perthine; Dec 25th 2008 at 12:02 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

genie79 has a spectacular aura aboutgenie79 has a spectacular aura aboutgenie79 has a spectacular aura about

yeah, the wind is driving me crazy my pool is getting some serious yellow seeds from my neighbors gum tree.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by genie79
yeah, the wind is driving me crazy my pool is getting some serious yellow seeds from my neighbors gum tree.
Yeah, thats a really serious problem. Poor you.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 9:15 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MANDS14
I know the wind that blows inland from the coast is called the Fremantle Doctor but it's not doing anything to make me feel good!

Apparently it starts around lunchtime but in the last 10 days it doesn't matter which beach I have gone to nor what time in the morning it still seems to be blowing a gale. It has meant the kids are freezing after 5 mins in the sea and we are getting constantly sand whipped. It feels really frustrating and is spoiling what could be a beautiful day playing at the beach.

We wanted to go the beach today for christmas and drove up to Yanchep as someone told us this was more sheltered however we got there at 11 am and were nearly blown away the minute we stepped from the car and it felt really COLD!! We ended up drining down to Hilary's boat harbour as this was less windy but it wasn't christmas day on the beautiful beach we had imagined!
(Although don't get me wrong it was still lovely to have sunshine and watch the kids playing out in it)

Can anyone shed any light on this constant wind? Is it always like this or is the wind unusually strong at the moment. Are there any sheltered child safe beaches to go to where the wind is gentler? And when does it stop?!!

Hillarys Boat harbour beach is very protected and the water is great for young kids.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

.[/QUOTE]

Bought our boy a surf board , had to retire soon from S Harbour beach though as far too windy.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

It is fairly unusual for this time of year. The hottest situation for Perth occurs when high pressure sits over central, south western Australia or the Australian Bight - this then feeds easterly or north-easterly winds from the desert giving hot conditions (and sometimes a strong early morning easterly). Look out for this on the weather charts.

Currently a high pressure zone is sitting out in the Indian Ocean – winds track around high pressure systems in an anti-clockwise direction meaning that they are currently southerly over Perth. Not only this but the low pressure trough and Tropical Cyclone over central/northern WA means that a high pressure-gradient exists meaning stronger winds.

Current chart and hot conditions chart below:
Attached Thumbnails The strong winds at perth beaches-current.gif   The strong winds at perth beaches-hot.gif  
Old Dec 26th 2008, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Im further North and its been pretty windy last couple of days.
It wasnt like this last year. However we like the cooler temps.
There is currently a wind warning all the way down the coast including Perth and just past it.

Gems
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies guys. Glad to hear that this is not the norm. Apparently it is supposed to get hot next week, so I'll probably be on here asking if anyone knows where I can go to get cool!! There's just no pleasing some people!

Thanks

MANDS
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:55 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

I got kite surfing lessons for Christmas.... not much good without the wind!