Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stress!! Just had a bad thought

Stress!! Just had a bad thought

Old Aug 28th 2003, 10:36 am
Just Joined

teeleeky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stress!! Just had a bad thought

Just read Jaj's reply on the "Finally a permanent resident" thread and got a sinking feeling.....

The link (http://www.citizenship.gov.au/media/change.htm says that "A person who applied for and acquired the citizenship of another country before 4 April 2002 will have lost their Australian citizenship under section 17 of the Act.

I have sent a front end loaded Prospective Spouse application to London. My fiance was born in Australia, became an Australian Citizen, and then was issued with a UK passport (showing UK Citizen) on September 2001. She has not resumed her Australian Citizenship. She has lived in the UK for 7 years and we visited Australia this year on holiday. She used her Australian passport at customs.

Will this mean that the Visa application will be rejected, or put on hold until citizenship is resumed or does it mean that the visa will be issued but she will need to resume before she can live in Australia again......

..... any ideas??

Last edited by teeleeky; Aug 28th 2003 at 10:38 am.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 12:55 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stress!! Just had a bad thought

Originally posted by teeleeky
Just read Jaj's reply on the "Finally a permanent resident" thread and got a sinking feeling.....

The link (http://www.citizenship.gov.au/media/change.htm says that "A person who applied for and acquired the citizenship of another country before 4 April 2002 will have lost their Australian citizenship under section 17 of the Act.

I have sent a front end loaded Prospective Spouse application to London. My fiance was born in Australia, became an Australian Citizen, and then was issued with a UK passport (showing UK Citizen) on September 2001. She has not resumed her Australian Citizenship. She has lived in the UK for 7 years and we visited Australia this year on holiday. She used her Australian passport at customs.

Will this mean that the Visa application will be rejected, or put on hold until citizenship is resumed or does it mean that the visa will be issued but she will need to resume before she can live in Australia again......

..... any ideas??
If your Fiance was born in Oz then she will always be an Australian citizen. She can hold dual nationality.

I was born in Oz and left when I was 6 weeks old, I still held Australian Nationality and didn't return until March 2003. Your Fiance can have two passports, it doesn't make any difference if one has expired or she hasn't lived in that country for a while she will always remain a citizen. Hope this has helped you?
Old Aug 28th 2003, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

teeleeky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stress!! Just had a bad thought

Originally posted by janeyray
If your Fiance was born in Oz then she will always be an Australian citizen. She can hold dual nationality.

I was born in Oz and left when I was 6 weeks old, I still held Australian Nationality and didn't return until March 2003. Your Fiance can have two passports, it doesn't make any difference if one has expired or she hasn't lived in that country for a while she will always remain a citizen. Hope this has helped you?
Cheers Janeyray

It's all making sense now.... I was just getting that paranoid way you know.

Yep she was born in Oz in 75 and has dual nationality.

<right start thinking positive>

Rich