Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Strange phone calls

Strange phone calls

Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:38 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Strange phone calls

Is anyone else especially around Melbourne area getting phone calls but when you answer its like they have hung up.
We seem to be getting them every day around lunchtime when the phone will ring every 20 mins or so, its a real pain in the ass when your a nightshift worker.

Also getting heaps of calls from India by people with a strong accent yet they say Hi my names Derek or Alan or Catherine etc etc.
Are all these call centres now in India??
Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:42 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Strange phone calls

Originally Posted by Bordy
Is anyone else especially around Melbourne area getting phone calls but when you answer its like they have hung up.
We seem to be getting them every day around lunchtime when the phone will ring every 20 mins or so, its a real pain in the ass when your a nightshift worker.

Also getting heaps of calls from India by people with a strong accent yet they say Hi my names Derek or Alan or Catherine etc etc.
I got that twice today !! The third time they got through. It was the Indian call centre for one of the insurance companies we are with.

Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
That pisses me off so much, not so much the fact that I'm called from India, but that they lie about their names, calling themselves Shane when their real name is probably Ravi or something, just say "Hi my name is Ravi for F**ks sake"!!!!

I guess you could alway tell them your name is Javinder or something like that.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:48 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth

I guess you could alway tell them your name is Javinder or something like that.

LOL!

I get calls like that sometimes, the ones where you pick it up and noone is there. A lot of these annoying call centres use a dialling system that automatically dials about three numbers and whichever one answers first gets put through to the caller.

Should be laws against them
Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible,

On the other hand a colleague of my brothers is a top insurance salesman in the UK and his tactics are apalling. One thing he does is immediately hang up if the person he is calling answers the phone with an "Asian" accent - apparently they waste a lot of time asking questions and shopping around.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:16 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Terrible,

On the other hand a colleague of my brothers is a top insurance salesman in the UK and his tactics are apalling. One thing he does is immediately hang up if the person he is calling answers the phone with an "Asian" accent - apparently they waste a lot of time asking questions and shopping around.
Afraid thats what my Mrs did today when Telstra's Derek from Dehli called.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:32 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by bridiej
LOL!

I get calls like that sometimes, the ones where you pick it up and noone is there. A lot of these annoying call centres use a dialling system that automatically dials about three numbers and whichever one answers first gets put through to the caller.

Should be laws against them
Need to warn you about these computer dialled numbers.

When you answer your phone either by machine or by yourself, you are charged a small fee.

We had 13 pounds worth of calls made to our phone that way last month.

Visit www.callblocker.co.uk and you can buy this device that plugs into your phone socket and blocks all computer generated calls and telesales calls.

Ive ordered mine.

Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:36 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Need to warn you about these computer dialled numbers.

When you answer your phone either by machine or by yourself, you are charged a small fee.

We had 13 pounds worth of calls made to our phone that way last month.

:scared:

Is that in the UK too or just Oz?

makes me sick how these people get away with it.........

Lately we've been getting the recorded message in really irritating US accent "Congratulations, get packing you've won a free holiday" and there seems no way of stopping them!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:33 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Bordy, will you answer the damn phone please.

I'm getting tired of phoning your number
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:42 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Lately we've been getting the recorded message in really irritating US accent "Congratulations, get packing you've won a free holiday" and there seems no way of stopping them!
Had that one too Bridie. I can usually tell when its telesales etc calling cos when you answer it, its silence for few seconds. If that happens I hang up straight away! If they do manage to get through tell I tell them Im emigrating, soon gets rid of them

Jo
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:45 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I get these calls daily, today I had Stacey calling to sell me some phone service.

I already have phone, surely they know that as they are calling me on it

I've tried being polite, I've tried being firm, they didn;t get either of those tactics so now I just tell them to go F+++ themselves. They seem to understand that OK.

Kala
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:45 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Telling them you have a terminal illness gets 'em stumped though.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

In the uk I contacted our supplier and they gave me details of the telephone preference service so I managed to stop all these calls (either that or hubby had called it off with the other woman).
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in the UK sign up to the Telephone Preference Service (along with the fax, e-mail and post services too). All free and after about six weeks it all stops. If one does come through, you tell them you are reporting them to TPS and strangely they put the phone down quick

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an equivalent in Aus.

OTOH if you are like hubby, get a phone call from someone selling, ask all the questions, sound really interested, then say "will have to check with the council/bank if I'm allowed. They don't like that
Old Jun 17th 2005, 10:01 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Get these nearly every day too, the phone seems to ring just as I've made our dinner. And its always Mick from India selling Orange mobile phones. Just wondering how much these companies are saving by employing cheap labour?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.