Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stradbroke and Moreton Islands

Stradbroke and Moreton Islands

Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Stradbroke and Moreton Islands

Are they good for a weekend break ? Any good links ?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Hunsletlad will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stradbroke and Moreton Islands

Originally Posted by melaniee
Are they good for a weekend break ? Any good links ?
We've had numerous great weekends at South Straddie resort ( not Couran Cove which is a bit exxy ) - used to be called Tipplers.
You get there by ferry from Surfers. The accomodation is in self contained "burros" - double bed, converter lounges. Small fridge, shower toilet etc. All self-contained and detached.
Good pub with restaurant and counter meals (Steak sandwich fills plate with chips and veges included). Wallabies wandering around the beer garden trying to pinch your chips.
Heated pool. Virtually on the beach facing west to Tipplers Passage, or a 10 minute walk to the ocean side and a usually deserted beach to die for.
You can hire canoes, go for an adrenalin rush being towed behind a speedboat on an oversize floaty thing, light seaplane trips that sort of thing.
All very casual and laid-back. just like a holiday break should be.

Don't have a link, but a Google search for South Stradbroke Island will help.

Les

Les
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Thanks Les. Don't like posh ! Sounds lovely.

Originally Posted by Hunsletlad
We've had numerous great weekends at South Straddie resort ( not Couran Cove which is a bit exxy ) - used to be called Tipplers.
You get there by ferry from Surfers. The accomodation is in self contained "burros" - double bed, converter lounges. Small fridge, shower toilet etc. All self-contained and detached.
Good pub with restaurant and counter meals (Steak sandwich fills plate with chips and veges included). Wallabies wandering around the beer garden trying to pinch your chips.
Heated pool. Virtually on the beach facing west to Tipplers Passage, or a 10 minute walk to the ocean side and a usually deserted beach to die for.
You can hire canoes, go for an adrenalin rush being towed behind a speedboat on an oversize floaty thing, light seaplane trips that sort of thing.
All very casual and laid-back. just like a holiday break should be.

Don't have a link, but a Google search for South Stradbroke Island will help.

Les

Les
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Can you take your car over ?
Are dogs allowed on the islands ?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:49 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

North straddie has a couple of car ferry services from cleveland

http://www.seastradbroke.com/

http://www.stradbrokeferries.com.au/

Some details here

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/visitors/...ns/stradbroke/
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Can you take your car over ?
Are dogs allowed on the islands ?
No - you wouldn't need car
No pets.

Link found:- www.southstradbrokeislandresort.com.au/

We've been to North Straddie ( last year ) - found it a bit boring as it's not a "resort " type place" Great beaches and surf, good beach fishing but not much else to pass the time away ( we're both chronologically in our 60's, but don't feel it. Bit past surfing though!).

Don't know about pets - I suppose it depends on where you stay.

As for as I know Moreton Island is strictly 4WD territory, as is Fraser Island unless you fancy Kingfisher resort, which appeared to me to be a relocated geriatric home, but I could be wrong ( it looked a bit "posh" as well!)
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:07 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hunsletlad
No - you wouldn't need car
No pets.

Link found:- www.southstradbrokeislandresort.com.au/

We've been to North Straddie ( last year ) - found it a bit boring as it's not a "resort " type place" Great beaches and surf, good beach fishing but not much else to pass the time away ( we're both chronologically in our 60's, but don't feel it. Bit past surfing though!).

Don't know about pets - I suppose it depends on where you stay.

As for as I know Moreton Island is strictly 4WD territory, as is Fraser Island unless you fancy Kingfisher resort, which appeared to me to be a relocated geriatric home, but I could be wrong ( it looked a bit "posh" as well!)
Stradbroke without a car ???? That would be silly. At least you can explore the island then and actually get around. Its far from boring there is heaps to do there!

We regularly take our dog with us on the ferry and he's allowed everywhere although only 2 beaches are off leash areas.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Centurion
Stradbroke without a car ???? That would be silly. At least you can explore the island then and actually get around. Its far from boring there is heaps to do there!

We regularly take our dog with us on the ferry and he's allowed everywhere although only 2 beaches are off leash areas.
I was talking about South Straddie - there's no bloody roads for a start
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

So you can take a car and dog to North Straddie but not South ?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:10 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

straddie is really beautiful i love it there although i dont think dogs are allowed to camp there but we have taken our dog before
http://http://www.more2redlands.com....s/NSI+Beaches/
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:24 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think dogs are allowed to camp at most places,they bark too much when putting up their tents and as for the mess they leave behind
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:14 am
Just Joined

So you can take a car and dog to North Straddie but not South ?
South Straddie is mostly bush, with beaches on both sides. There are only two resorts I believe, and a few camping grounds, but there are no roads as such, just some tracks used by on-site tractors and maybe a few service 4WD's.

There no permanant houses as such ( few holiday shacks maybe on the southern end))

I believe it only came into existence sometime in the 60's when the sea broke through at Jumpinpin, thereby seperating Straddie into North and South.

It's nothing like North Straddie, which is, as you know, quite civilised and settled.

Lots of people go to South Straddie on their boats, and on houseboats, so maybe you can smuggle a dog ashore if you are camping, but as I said there's no vehicular type ferry, and nowhere to drive even if you did have a car.

It's a subtropical island close to the mainland, and I think it's a great place for a short break away from the ratrace.

Les
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:13 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Just returned from 4 days on Moreton Island. Absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!
Stayed in a beachfront villa, looking over the ocean - absolutely wonderful.
I fail to see how you cannot enjoy yourselves - but then that is my opinion.
We will certainly be going back. Loads for all the family to do:
watch wild dolphins being fed, snorkelling around the wrecks, hire a canoe, banana ride, trip to the blue lagoon........................
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ooh, sounds lovely ! Where did you stay ?

QUOTE=The Woodcutter;5844796]Just returned from 4 days on Moreton Island. Absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!
Stayed in a beachfront villa, looking over the ocean - absolutely wonderful.
I fail to see how you cannot enjoy yourselves - but then that is my opinion.
We will certainly be going back. Loads for all the family to do:
watch wild dolphins being fed, snorkelling around the wrecks, hire a canoe, banana ride, trip to the blue lagoon........................[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:30 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been to South Straddie a couple of times and loved it.

We got a lift back in the sea plane, I hadnt been in a light aircraft before and it was fabulous.

Gorgeous place and well worth the visit, that pub/beer hut they have further down the beach was lovely as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.