Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Storage costs "that end" ?

Storage costs "that end" ?

Old Nov 6th 2006, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Storage costs "that end" ?

Hi peeps,

Has anyone shipped their worldly goods to OZ and then had them in storage at that end for a couple of months ? i.e. shipped by company X and then stored at that end by them also.

We are in the process of selling the house here and will hopefully complete next month. Our flights are April 2nd next year (wife finishing nurse training)
We have 4 weeks free accommodation in a furnished motel on arrival.

We have 2 options:

1. move into rented house for 4 months and have to move all the house contents myself, hiring a van etc.

2. move into my mum's for 4 months, save a fortune on rent, bills etc (whilst still helping her out with some much needed cash I hasten to add), and get the shippers to come and pack/take all our stuff to Oz 4 months early and pay for storage out there.
the downside is that her house is full of cats, dogs, my nice but scally 16 yr old niece and her feckless annoying hillbilly boyfriend from wigan ( who we're sure suffers from fetal alcohol syndrome - tragic but jeesus he's useless see link: http://www.nofas.org/faqs.aspx?id=9 ) and the house smells of cat p*ss ! other than that it's fine !

1 other complication is that we are going to cairns. I'm presuming the stuff will go to brisbane and can therefore be stored there and then shipped by road ? or will it go by boat from bris to cairns ?

all advice appreciated !

Andy
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice
Default Re: Storage costs "that end" ?

...Just for info I was told by an international removals company that it costs about half as much to store in Aus as it does in the UK.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:29 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andy,

We also had to look into storage as we completed on our house sale early. We'd also heard via the forum that it was cheaper to store in Oz, but when we looked into it, it was actually slightly cheaper to store in the UK.

The average cost of storage in the UK was £25.00 per week, compared to $80.00 per week in Oz. (This was based on 1100 cu ft - which equates to filling a 20' container.)

Most of the shipping companies will give you upto 4 weeks free UK storage to start, but you'd probably be able to push that and get a better deal if you needed to store for a longer time. It was far harder to get them to give us a good deal on free storage in Oz tho'!

The other benefit of storing in the UK is, provided you go for a shipper with their storage depot near you, you can add stuff to your container if need be - and be there when it's finally loaded into the container if you want to.

Rgds,

Nicky

Last edited by Nicky & Dave; Nov 6th 2006 at 4:48 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:40 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

We've been told by a couple of International movers that its cheaper to store in the UK than Oz.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:34 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman
Hi peeps,

Has anyone shipped their worldly goods to OZ and then had them in storage at that end for a couple of months ? i.e. shipped by company X and then stored at that end by them also.
all advice appreciated !

Andy
Hi Andy

We have half our container (20ft) in long term storage it is costing $13 per week with annual fumugation charge of around $120.

Location Melbourne - this is with Kent.

Kiwi
Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:35 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi peeps,

all advice appreciated !

Andy
Hi Andy

We have half our container (20ft) in long term storage it is costing $13 per week with annual fumigation charge of around $120.

Location Melbourne - this is with Kent.

Kiwi
Old Nov 6th 2006, 9:05 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi peeps,

We are in the process of selling the house here and will hopefully complete next month. Our flights are April 2nd next year (wife finishing nurse training)
We have 4 weeks free accommodation in a furnished motel on arrival.

We have 2 options:

1. move into rented house for 4 months and have to move all the house contents myself, hiring a van etc.

2. move into my mum's for 4 months, save a fortune on rent, bills etc (whilst still helping her out with some much needed cash I hasten to add), and get the shippers to come and pack/take all our stuff to Oz 4 months early and pay for storage out there.
the downside is that her house is full of cats, dogs, my nice but scally 16 yr old niece and her feckless annoying hillbilly boyfriend from wigan ( who we're sure suffers from fetal alcohol syndrome - tragic but jeesus he's useless see link: http://www.nofas.org/faqs.aspx?id=9 ) and the house smells of cat p*ss ! other than that it's fine !

1 other complication is that we are going to cairns. I'm presuming the stuff will go to brisbane and can therefore be stored there and then shipped by road ? or will it go by boat from bris to cairns ?

all advice appreciated !

Andy
We stored for 8 months with Chess Moving in Perth. It was around 1/2 a house and cost £115 per month. www.chessmoving.com.au

Neil.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice

Well it seems to all depend on which Co. you use.
Thought it sounded useful advice but there you go

...At least you get unbiased info here

SB
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sunburn
Well it seems to all depend on which Co. you use.
Thought it sounded useful advice but there you go

...At least you get unbiased info here

SB
Presumably they will advise on which end is cheaper when they quote.

Thanks anyway SB

Andy
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably they will advise on which end is cheaper when they quote.

Thanks anyway SB

Andy

Anyone stored in Brissie?

We're planning to ship it our before we leave sop that it will be available to us when we arrive. Then we won't end up buying everything again anyway.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:57 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cadman]

My advice...move to your mum's but make sure you give her cash in the kinds of things that scally niece and feckless hillbilly can't be advantaged by. The problem with sponger types is that any good fortune ie extra cash that comes into a house, they think they have a share of it.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:29 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Containers are usually railed up to Cairns Andy.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
Containers are usually railed up to Cairns Andy.
cheers bix. the quote will include it so I don't suppose it matters how they get it there !

andy
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=busterboy]

My advice...move to your mum's but make sure you give her cash in the kinds of things that scally niece and feckless hillbilly can't be advantaged by. The problem with sponger types is that any good fortune ie extra cash that comes into a house, they think they have a share of it.
we've already decided to do just that mate. and yes, the cash will be going straight to me mam but no doubt they'll try and sponge some of it !

andy