Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stopping over on the way there?

Stopping over on the way there?

Old Jan 25th 2006, 1:31 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all
Default Stopping over on the way there?

Hi all,

We haven;t booked our outbound flight yet, but we are considering stopping over for a few days on the way to Perth and I'd love to hear any recommendations from anyone else who has done it - or whether we should just carry straight on.

As far as I can make out, our main options are

Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur.

We will be travelling with a 5-6 month old and a 2 year old :scared: so the most child friendly place is the best option for us.

I've been to Sing and HK for holidays before and had a 24 hour stopover in KL 14 months ago. I would love to visit HK again, I love the place but not sure how child-friendly it would be with all the hills (pushchairs and stairs/hills are not a good combo!) and also it adds a couple of hours flying time to the overall journey.

Am quite keen to go to Dubai but is it possible to get cheap stopover hotel/transfer deals in the same way that the SE Asian cities offer when you fly with the national airline? We would be on a fairly tight budget wanting to keep as much money as possible for our new home, but at the same time we are not on the same time limits we usually are when we travel to Australia so we could easily manage a few days and nights without it cutting into any holiday.

Both kids are pretty good sleepers so I am not overly concerned about jetlag but at the same time it also means we don't "need" to stopover to help with jetlag either. Another issue might be the sheer weight of luggage we may have with us as it will be our emigration flight.

BTW - we'll be flying late April, early May so coming into Summer for HK and obviously the other places are pretty much the same year-round.

Michelle
Old Jan 25th 2006, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Draven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really nice
Default Re: Stopping over on the way there?

Just got back from Brisbane via Dubai and Singapore, i can recommend Dubai (my opinion) i don't really fancy Singapore.

Try and get a package from Emirates sometimes they have specials on their website.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 2:47 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Went via Dubai - fab airport - great for duty free! I haven't got children yet, so can't offer advice on that one.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:10 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by michellemac
Hi all,

We haven;t booked our outbound flight yet, but we are considering stopping over for a few days on the way to Perth and I'd love to hear any recommendations from anyone else who has done it - or whether we should just carry straight on.

We will be travelling with a 5-6 month old and a 2 year old :scared: so the most child friendly place is the best option for us.

I've been to Sing and HK for holidays before and had a 24 hour stopover in KL 14 months ago. I would love to visit HK again, I love the place but not sure how child-friendly it would be with all the hills (pushchairs and stairs/hills are not a good combo!) and also it adds a couple of hours flying time to the overall journey.

Am quite keen to go to Dubai but is it possible to get cheap stopover hotel/transfer deals in the same way that the SE Asian cities offer when you fly with the national airline? We would be on a fairly tight budget wanting to keep as much money as possible for our new home, but at the same time we are not on the same time limits we usually are when we travel to Australia so we could easily manage a few days and nights without it cutting into any holiday.

Both kids are pretty good sleepers so I am not overly concerned about jetlag but at the same time it also means we don't "need" to stopover to help with jetlag either. Another issue might be the sheer weight of luggage we may have with us as it will be our emigration flight.

BTW - we'll be flying late April, early May so coming into Summer for HK and obviously the other places are pretty much the same year-round.

Michelle
Dubai is fantastic, and very family friendly. But watch out for the weather, it can start to get very very hot in May.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Hi Michelle

We are flying to Brisbane with Emirates via Dubai and Singas.
We are lucky in that my wife's parents work in Dubai and have a place there so we have visited a few times and are staying for 2 weeks to break up our journey as we too have 2 small grislers.
Dubai is by no means cheap, especially for accommodation. The beaches around Jumerrai are quite nice, clean and safe.
The place is also the worlds largest building site, if you are a crane spotter it is the place for you.
It does however have fantastic weather and very luxurious areas.
Its a bit in your face, very brash and totally soulless, but it is just up the road from Abu Dhabi which is a fantastic city with everything Dubai has and more, including culture and depth.
Either way it is a great idea to break up the journey and whatever you do I'm sure you will have a great time.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

pippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud of

I'm also interested in what people think of staying over for a few days in Dubia or Singapore.

I don't anticipate any reason to rush over to Australia and it's not every day you pass through these kinds of locations, so it's worth a few days hotel costs on the way.

There's lots of threads on the cheapest and best flights to Aus, but not so much on the stopovers, especially if you want to make a small holiday out of it.

David
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pippin lara
I'm also interested in what people think of staying over for a few days in Dubia or Singapore.

I don't anticipate any reason to rush over to Australia and it's not every day you pass through these kinds of locations, so it's worth a few days hotel costs on the way.

There's lots of threads on the cheapest and best flights to Aus, but not so much on the stopovers, especially if you want to make a small holiday out of it.

David
dubai or sing - two entirely different places...if you get the chance why not experience both...have fun and get saving...
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pippin lara

David
Hi David

Just to give you an idea about costs. We have been quoted approx £1660 for a family of 2 adults and 2 children from Birmingham to Brisbane stopping in Dubai and singas on the way.
If we stop in Dubai for 2 weeks it puts the cost up to £1710 approx £150 more expensive.
I thought this was a damn good deal as I expect that this is made up of airport tax costs.
we are looking forward to our 2 week stay at the in-laws on the way in April.
Not to hot (35-40). Phew!!!!!!!!!
Hope this helps Sean
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:21 pm
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

Michelle
I would say HK is quite a child-friendly place, you'll find a lot of places with lifts, escalators and baby changing facilities (esp. modern shopping centres). We were in HK with our son when he was 8mths, 1 1/2 yrs & 2 1/2 yrs old, we found it was a hassle to get on and off buses, apart from that it was fine. April/May could be quite hot and humid though.

Enjoy your stopover wherever you decide.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:07 pm
Living & Loving in Perth

hoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

Michelle
Hi Michelle

Hubby and I have decided to stop over in Hong Kong for two/three nights, there is a new Disneyland, only opened last year and is the smallest of all the sites - only 3 lands. Haven't gone into it regarding prices etc, but have looked at the web site. www.hongkongdisneyland.com

Hope it's of use to you.

Hoops (mrs)
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

We go 1st March (2 adults, 1 baby, 1 infant):

Manchester >>> Singapore (3 nights Shangri La) >>> Perth

Arrive 5th March ...

Singapore sounds fab ...
Old Jan 26th 2006, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

kbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant future

Dubai definitely - if you go with Emirates check out their deals with hotel apartment accommodation which may be better with kids (make your own food, use of a washing machine etc). Beaches are fantastic and there are many great shoping malls. It will be getting hot though in May.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 4:11 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Michelle
If you fly with emirates you can stop over at Dubai and Singapore for hardly any extra money, I think you just pay the airport taxes.
We're hoping to go Dubai, Delhi, Singapore, Bangkok,Brisbane
Old Jan 26th 2006, 4:22 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
If you fly with emirates you can stop over at Dubai and Singapore for hardly any extra money, I think you just pay the airport taxes.
We're hoping to go Dubai, Delhi, Singapore, Bangkok,Brisbane
we stayed in Singapore for three days to break the journey home last Xmas

personally i hated the place, mega busy, noisy just far to much going on for my taste
probably due to the fact that they have the same size population as oz
20M living in an island approx 29 miles long

like i said this is only my personal opinion
Old Jan 26th 2006, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

happymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud of

Hi Michelle

Here's my 2 cents:

Singapore: we flew via singapore last Feb stayed at the wonderul Swissotel The Stamford and loved it. We did not venture out much as owing to jet lag we were up at very odd hours, but it is attached to Raffles City a huge shopping centre and right at the bottom is a lovely foodstore with nice options for healthy kiddy meals, and we relied heavily on this. Also couldnt' fault t he place, great staff, nice pool, quiet, and comfy rooms. We are going again via Singapore when we move to Perth, but this time we thought we'd try Sentosa Island.

Personally I'd rather get the longer flight over and done with, then the shorter flight to perth is a breeze.

Dubai: Flew with Emirates when I was pregnant to visit my sister and they were really crappy. Wouldn't choose to fly them again, but others love t hem and they have (somehow) won awards and stuff. Also, for Perth, the departure times to Perth are really up the creek. 2am in the morning departure?!?! Personally I cannot do that, unless you are flying right through obviously then they time it quite well. They have introduced a 9am departure from Dubai, but then that gets to Perth at midnight, and I ain't arriving at midnight either.

HTH and enjoy your new life in perth!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.