Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stopped by police for taking photographs

Stopped by police for taking photographs

Old May 30th 2014, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopped by police for taking photographs

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
And now we're back to the same disagreement on what's suspicious and what's not. Anything can be seen as suspicious if we want it to. That consumes a lot if resources to chase after every potentially suspicious incident that is most likely completely innocent. We've essentially already handed over all of our information already and this is almost co-owned by governments. We might not even own much of what we think is personal as there is a higher power that's capable of changing much of it. If we can't do innocent things on the street without being treated as a suspicious person, what's next?
So we have one extreme, where every act is seen as suspicious and acted upon, which you seem to be worried that the world is moving towards.

Or, you have the other extreme, where no activity is questioned because it may upset, or impinge on somebodies civil liberties.

As with all things, the reality will fall somewhere in the middle, with what the average reasonable person considers to be suspicious, being looked at.

Also consider that an act / behaviour that you don't think is suspicious, based on your knowledge or experience, may make you very suspicious once you have more information.
Old May 30th 2014, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
So we have one extreme, where every act is seen as suspicious and acted upon, which you seem to be worried that the world is moving towards.

Or, you have the other extreme, where no activity is questioned because it may upset, or impinge on somebodies civil liberties.

As with all things, the reality will fall somewhere in the middle, with what the average reasonable person considers to be suspicious, being looked at.

Also consider that an act / behaviour that you don't think is suspicious, based on your knowledge or experience, may make you very suspicious once you have more information.
Actually, I don't think we have or need either of those extremes. The second one is a bit irrelevant here as no-one suggested it.

A reasonable person who doesn't have a vested interest in something being or looking suspicious can treat situations as they see them. When we have a very paranoid government who want you to appreciate the defence they provide you with their big toys and sophisticated technology, we have a very conflicting view on privacy and your rights.

Was the OP likely to blow up the police station? Far more unlikely I would think. As well as that, what standard of terrorist/bad guy would expose himself to the staff of this police station ahead of causing damage to it? I think it wod have been acceptable to have let it go without the request for the life story and had their own CCTV footage they could reference.
Old May 30th 2014, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Actually, I don't think we have or need either of those extremes. The second one is a bit irrelevant here as no-one suggested it.

A reasonable person who doesn't have a vested interest in something being or looking suspicious can treat situations as they see them. When we have a very paranoid government who want you to appreciate the defence they provide you with their big toys and sophisticated technology, we have a very conflicting view on privacy and your rights.

Was the OP likely to blow up the police station? Far more unlikely I would think. As well as that, what standard of terrorist/bad guy would expose himself to the staff of this police station ahead of causing damage to it? I think it wod have been acceptable to have let it go without the request for the life story and had their own CCTV footage they could reference.
The only paranoia I've seen in this thread, comes from those who seem to think that speaking with police when doing nothing wrong is some how going to incriminate them, or lead to them being entered onto a "Most wanted/ do not allow entry into the country" list.........It's not.

I can understand why you and the OP would think that taking photos of a police station is not suspicious, because you may not be aware of all the security risks that such places have to consider.

Some of those risks have been pointed out in this thread and that is why such behaviour is considered suspicious until shown otherwise.

And yes, the police/ security services do have a vested interest in things which look suspicious.........................It's their Job

It would be a neglect of duty for any officer not to at least inquire as to why somebody was taking a specific interest in that station, in the same way as if it was a military establishment or an airport.

These issues are completely different from Google and the likes, retaining your personal details for commercial reasons
Old May 30th 2014, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
The only paranoia I've seen in this thread, comes from those who seem to think that speaking with police when doing nothing wrong is some how going to incriminate them, or lead to them being entered onto a "Most wanted/ do not allow entry into the country" list.........It's not.

I can understand why you and the OP would think that taking photos of a police station is not suspicious, because you may not be aware of all the security risks that such places have to consider.

Some of those risks have been pointed out in this thread and that is why such behaviour is considered suspicious until shown otherwise.

And yes, the police/ security services do have a vested interest in things which look suspicious.........................It's their Job

It would be a neglect of duty for any officer not to at least inquire as to why somebody was taking a specific interest in that station, in the same way as if it was a military establishment or an airport.

These issues are completely different from Google and the likes, retaining your personal details for commercial reasons
Right, we're not going to agree on what we think the authorities have a right to know and what they don't. This isn't me being paranoid either. It's about having a right to share or not share personal information about myself. The US claim to be the defender of human rights but yet it seems to be a very restricting country that wants to not only know everything about you, but control how you do many things. Australia seems to be heading in that direction, especially so under this current government. Power over the people instead of power to the people.

I'd like to clarify something though. I appreciate the protection I get from law enforcement and I also appreciate the effort they put into preventing crimes. There needs to be a demarcation to fairly apply their strategies, though.
Old May 30th 2014, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

The OP should not worry about divulging personal details to the Aus authorities. They already have them. You showed your passport, so all the info behind that (eg details of your application) can be accessed if anyone who has the authority.

How many of the indignant brigade use Facebook? (I never have.)
Old May 30th 2014, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
The OP should not worry about divulging personal details to the Aus authorities. They already have them. You showed your passport, so all the info behind that (eg details of your application) can be accessed if anyone who has the authority.

How many of the indignant brigade use Facebook? (I never have.)
I think I've told this story on here before, but a few years ago, my husband was looking at the public website that shows the entry records of 10 pound poms. He found himself, his sister, mum and dad - along with their full names, dates of birth and mothers maiden name. He contacted the administrators of the website and had the mothers maiden name removed from the website because of the obvious id required for bank accounts. Just about everything we do, write and say is out there for the world to see - it's amazing when the authorities are looking for a missing person etc and you see just how many CCTV cameras there are.
Old May 30th 2014, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
And none of that is of interest to the Immi Dept or would appear on the PCC required for either the visa app or the Citizenship app. Unless they've been convicted and sentenced of a serious crime, being 'chatted to by a copper' is irrelevant.
Old May 31st 2014, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I think I've told this story on here before, but a few years ago, my husband was looking at the public website that shows the entry records of 10 pound poms. He found himself, his sister, mum and dad - along with their full names, dates of birth and mothers maiden name. He contacted the administrators of the website and had the mothers maiden name removed from the website because of the obvious id required for bank accounts. Just about everything we do, write and say is out there for the world to see - it's amazing when the authorities are looking for a missing person etc and you see just how many CCTV cameras there are.
It's occured to me that the govt knows little about you much past your National Insurance number - sure they can pull the Electorall Roll, bank records, taxation, telcom records and med notes - and they can pull search engine records and web-based stuff given the need. They won't even know where you went to school or Uni - unless local education authorities and admission records hand their records over. I don't think it is like the movies where someone pulls it all and the camera zooms in on their photo..etc.

Many people put public stuff on line without thinking about it.
Old May 31st 2014, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

At the end of the day you shouldn't have photographed a police station through common sense. And why would you need to as well? They were doing their job. Move on...
Old May 31st 2014, 12:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
At the end of the day you shouldn't have photographed a police station through common sense. And why would you need to as well? They were doing their job. Move on...
I'd be framing the photo though. You went through enough to get it!
Old Jun 8th 2014, 10:43 pm
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Before coming to Australia, I worked as an FME - police medical examiner. My job involved going in to police stations to assess the detainees for fitness to interview/attend court, general treatment and take DNA samples from murder and rape suspects. I wore civilian clothing and drove my own car. People in custody were forever making threats to both police officers and civilian workers.
With an understanding of what goes on inside a police station, I can see why anyone taking photograhs outside would be questioned. As someone mentioned earlier, terrorism would have been low on the list of concerns and more local issues such as a threat to staff or even something like witness intimidation would perhaps have been more likely.
I'm a keen photographer too but do realise that if you point a camera lens at a police station, somebody is bound to get jittery and ask you why.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

I used to be a keen photographer, but not anymore. Take a picture in the city and you get approached by police or security guards asking what you are doing. Take a picture at the beach or park and you get irate parents accusing you of being a paedophile. Google Street View allows you to see police stations from every angle, not sure why police are questioning tourists who take pictures of these same places. My 15 year old son was once stopped by the police while walking home in the evening from his friend's house (with our knowledge and permission) and had his details taken. A year later he got caught for dodging a ticket on the train (yes, I know ...) and the police brought this previous 'record' up - along with a lot of other personal data that even we didn't know about. I was shocked by how they had access to data on my son from school (attendance), banks, Medicare, and mobile phone use - and worryingly they also had similar information on his schoolfriends (I'm talking about ordinary Year 10/11 kids here, not drug dealers or gang members). They say if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to be afraid of - but they can also take a lot of innocent stuff and arrange it into a pattern that could look like juvenile delinquent behaviour. I just assume that everything we do now goes into the police database and on your 'record'.

Last edited by michael_w; Jun 9th 2014 at 1:55 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 2:03 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael_w
I used to be a keen photographer, but not anymore. Take a picture in the city and you get approached by police or security guards asking what you are doing. Take a picture at the beach or park and you get irate parents accusing you of being a paedophile. Google Street View allows you to see police stations from every angle, not sure why police are questioning tourists who take pictures of these same places. My 15 year old son was once stopped by the police while walking home in the evening from his friend's house (with our knowledge and permission) and had his details taken. A year later he got caught for dodging a ticket on the train (yes, I know ...) and the police brought this previous 'record' up - along with a lot of other personal data that even we didn't know about. I was shocked by how they had access to data on my son from school (attendance), banks, Medicare, and mobile phone use - and worryingly they also had similar information on his schoolfriends (I'm talking about ordinary Year 10/11 kids here, not drug dealers or gang members). They say if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to be afraid of - but they can also take a lot of innocent stuff and arrange it into a pattern that could look like juvenile delinquent behaviour. I just assume that everything we do now goes into the police database and on your 'record'.
Not actually into a police database, but several databases that are automatically searched when the police put names in. We do not have ID cards in the UK, so the paranoid people who don't like the idea think their detals are safe, but they aren't. The PNC has a huge amiunt of info, as has been found to their cost by people being stopped for some minor inffringement, and the finding that there are record of unpaid fines, driving bans, lack of insurance, and, of course, the ownership of the vehicle, so they get questions as to whether they are legally driving the vehicle.

Debt collection agencies, which 'buy' the unpaid fines lists from the police can access the database via NPR, and so you get them on the roadside in cities checking all cars, and if they hae something other than unpaid fines that they have bought, they passs that on to the police who are with them.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Absolutely disgraceful. OP can I ask, are you white or black/brown skinned? Cops in Australia are always overstepping the mark. In Perth they dress up like robocop at stations and use sniffer dogs to detect people carrying marijuana. People are sleepwalking towards totalitarianism.

But it's all for our own good, right ?

The government just want to protect us.

After all, you've nothing to fear if you haven't done anything wrong. Have you ?

ps Soylent Green is people !
Old Jun 9th 2014, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Dazeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Stopped by police for taking photographs

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I am currently in Adelaide, looking around to see if it is somewhere I would like to migrate to. I have been here a week, and was enjoying my time until this morning. I was strolling from my hotel towards the centre, taking a few photographs as I went, including one of a police station.

Suddenly, two police officers (one man and one woman) approached me and asked me what I was doing. I explained I was on holiday, and taking a few photographs. They asked me why I had taken a photograph of the police station. They asked to see my passport, but I did not have it with me. They said they wanted proof of identity, and so I showed them a credit card, which was the only thing I had with my name on.

The woman then took out her notebook and started asking me a series of questions, while her male colleague returned to their car and made checks on his radio. The woman wanted to know my date of birth, address, telephone number, hotel details, when I arrived in Adelaide, when I was leaving, if I had been to Adelaide before, whether I was travelling alone, where my family was, etc. I remained calm, but really, I was wondering what was going to happen next. I asked her if I had committed an offence. She said I hadn't, but they are worried about terrorists and become concerned at anyone taking photographs of government buildings.

The man returned from the car and took my camera from me and looked through the photographs that I had taken.

I asked them why they were asking so many questions. The woman told me that if there were any future terrorist incidents, they would have my details at their disposal.

After around ten minutes I refused to answer any more questions. With retrospect, I think I had answered too many already, and when the woman asked me where I was born, I felt she was going too far, and would not tell her.

Of course I regret taking the photograph of the police station, but honestly I did it on the spur of the moment.

To be fair, both officers were polite, but nevertheless I was left very upset by the whole experience, and I have been pre-occupied by it since it happened.

Now my concern is what will happen to the information they collected from me. My fear is that it will end up in a database, and will remain there. If I subsequently apply for a visa, the database could be checked and I will be labelled as a terrorist suspect.

Has anyone had similar experiences with police in Adelaide or elsewhere? I was thinking about going in to the police station and asking what will happen to the information I supplied, but perhaps I should just leave it and try to forget about the whole incident. Any views would be welcome.
Hi, I understand your frustration. I am sure they can not do anything with your information you give them apart from sell it to the highest bidder. lol

For future reference remember this.

If you are on foot or on a cycle and the police stop you, you dont have to give them any of your details.
(If you are driving then of course you would have to because you are in charge of a motor vehicle)
If a police officer suspects you of a crime then they have the right to arrest you, then they can look through your camera and take all your details. (but they must arrest you first)

Take a look at this from the UK

This is a typical British cop trying to intimidate a member of the public, but this member of the public knows the Law and puts him right.

As human beings we are allowed to video anything we want (within reason) But Look how the British cop gets frustrated and trys the rip the camera from the cyclists helmet because he is not getting his own way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7BQvt3XeAY

Listen to the Conversion and learn

hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.