Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stopped by police because...

Stopped by police because...

Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopped by police because...

Originally Posted by Boomerang
Hi,

I know, im not critising their jobs, they are there for a reason like it has been said before... And there is no problem/issue to report the officers because they were kind and gave their reasons for the stop and i havent done anything wrong. Anyway my issue here was if it would affect the application and you kindly replied to that already, i wont debate further this issue, otherwise the moderators will blocked if for turning into an off-topic.

Thanks for the response polly.
No problem Boomerang. One thing I learnt in years with the police, is that if you explain things, the public are that bit more receptive - hence some of my info here
Old Nov 15th 2004, 11:47 pm
Monkey

> Turned out, we had been seen driving slowly through a posh area of Hove
    > (looking for a friends house) in our tatty white van. Same week, houses
    > in the area were being emptied of antiques - and the neighbours could
    > only see the stuff was being taken away in a small white tatty van......

.. and the resulting car boot sales financed your move to oz? :-)

--
Paul
http://www.labrose.com

Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:18 am
Mel Gibson

Originally Posted by Boomerang
The great world we live in...

Right here's the story to keep it simple, a friend of mine arrive from Portugal on Holidays, so the other day i took the day off and we went sightseeing around london, one of our stops was Canary Warf, so we decided to take a picture which we did, and guess what??? We got stopped by the police, while they carried out/filled a Stop/search account form for taking a picture at Canary Warf, i have to admit that the police officers were nice not the arrogant type, obviously i was fumming because of the whole situation, i mean what that hell is this now of not being allowed to take pictures, wheres our freedom? I mean thats the purpose of going on holidays, to record that moment on a piece of paper, photo in this case.

Now obviously i was never in trouble with the police before, i was always a well behaved "boy" and still am, does anyone know if these stop/search forms will affect the my application when i decide to take things forward with the immigration process?

I still cant believe i got stopped because of a frikkin picture.
British police, they let a lunatic dressed up at Osama Bin Laden carrying a large bag walk right into the palace during Prince Williams birthday party and
sit amongst the entire royal family, but then think they are preventing terrorism by harrassing innocent tourists taking pictures.

Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Slightly off topic, but probably in the same vein, anyone come through Brisbane airport recently? Since January I have had to open my bags on four separate occasions.

The last time through (a couple of weeks ago), I was taken to those little tables down the side, and had to empty EVERYTHING from every bag. I was getting a tad worried when the customs guy put on the latex gloves, but luckily that was only to grub around in my dirty socks and undies bag.

They even took swabs of my laptop screen, which would have been ok, except they missed a bit (well, if they are going to swab the screen, they may as well do a good job and get all the splodges off).

A woman took the swab off for testing came back and said "Positive for ephedrine, but below the alarm level", to which the bloke rummaging through my gear replied "Oh, thats probably you then!".

Thats all I need, customs officers out of their gourds on ephedrine!