Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stop overs and excess baggage

Stop overs and excess baggage

Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

PIPPADEE will become famous soon enoughPIPPADEE will become famous soon enough
Default Stop overs and excess baggage

Does anyone know if you can make a stop over in Singapore for 3-4 days and still get your excess baggage allowance all the way through. We our hoping to do this but dont want to lose our baggage allowance
Pippadee
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stop overs and excess baggage

Originally Posted by PIPPADEE
Does anyone know if you can make a stop over in Singapore for 3-4 days and still get your excess baggage allowance all the way through. We our hoping to do this but dont want to lose our baggage allowance
Pippadee
Hi Pippadee

Unfortunately stopovers are not included in the extra baggage allowance

Gill
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

sara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi Pippadee

Unfortunately stopovers are not included in the extra baggage allowance

Gill
Actually, that's not quite right. If you're flying with Singapore Airlines you can get the extra baggage allowance AND have a stopover, we are doing just this in March. However, this is the only airline that allow a stopover, BA, Quantas etc will only give the extra baggage if you go straight through.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Thats great news Sara. How did you go about it, did you just email them directly?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

sara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura about

We are arranging it through our travel agent, am so glad I came across this forum as I never even knew there was a possibility of getting extra baggage before reading some posts on here! Anyway, so I asked the travel agent about it and they made a call to Singapore Airlines who confirmed we could get the stopover and extra baggage. I've got to call the travel agent again tomorrow to see if we need to send the copy of the visa stamp in the passport to them or directly to the airline to confirm the extra baggage allowance. I'll post again on here tomorrow once I know the answer!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Sarah I would definitely be interested in the update.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

PIPPADEE will become famous soon enoughPIPPADEE will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that , we really wanted a stopover, we are planning to fly singapore airlines ,Any update as to how we do this would be great
Pippadee
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

It's no problem with Singapore Airlines, but make sure you have something in writing - the easiest thing is to e-mail them and print off their response. When we checked in again in Singapore the woman wouldn't believe us until we showed her the piece of paper.

You can check in at the SA office on Orchard Road 24 hours before you fly on to Sydney which I would highly recommend. You can sit down while you wait for your number to be called rather than queuing then you just go to "fast baggage drop" when you get to the airport. We were able to arrive at the airport an hour later than we would have had to if we had to check in there.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
It's no problem with Singapore Airlines, but make sure you have something in writing - the easiest thing is to e-mail them and print off their response. When we checked in again in Singapore the woman wouldn't believe us until we showed her the piece of paper.

You can check in at the SA office on Orchard Road 24 hours before you fly on to Sydney which I would highly recommend. You can sit down while you wait for your number to be called rather than queuing then you just go to "fast baggage drop" when you get to the airport. We were able to arrive at the airport an hour later than we would have had to if we had to check in there.
Thanks for the tip!!! Handy to know.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery

By the way are you from Rosscarbery in Cork?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:24 pm
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

I got caught with this when I came via Tokyo on a BA ticket, but the leg down to Brisbane was with JAL. Had a few days in Tokyo, had to pay to keep 3 suitcases in storage at Narita and then JAL tried to get me on excess baggage. It was clear I was going to pay for something, but only paid for about 5kgs when I was about 25 over!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sara1981
We are arranging it through our travel agent, am so glad I came across this forum as I never even knew there was a possibility of getting extra baggage before reading some posts on here! Anyway, so I asked the travel agent about it and they made a call to Singapore Airlines who confirmed we could get the stopover and extra baggage. I've got to call the travel agent again tomorrow to see if we need to send the copy of the visa stamp in the passport to them or directly to the airline to confirm the extra baggage allowance. I'll post again on here tomorrow once I know the answer!
Ok so I called the travel agent today and she's put a note on our booking which will be on our paperwork that we take to the airport and we need to show this to the check in staff along with the visa stamp in the passport and that's it! But, to be on the safe side, after reading other peoples' posts here, I'm going to email the Singapore Airlines direct with our booking reference and get something in writing from them to confirm also. Then at least that way if there's any dispute at least we have something from SIA to show them, would hate to be charged for the extra 20kg, imagine how much that would be!!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

appyarry will become famous soon enough

ive just booked my flights through I.O.M you get concessions on the flight ours worked out alot cheaper plus you get extra baggage .
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

laudami is a jewel in the roughlaudami is a jewel in the roughlaudami is a jewel in the roughlaudami is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sorry what is I.O.M???
We are ready to book our flights and also need the excess baggage. We were told that the only airline that will let you do a stopover is with Cathay? who are expensive.Singapore give you more excess automatically-need to show proof to agent, Emirates 40G each-show proof,Cathy 40kg but you must buy a special migrant fare-costs more than regular econmoy ticket, Eithad baggage is 30kg approx normal allowance.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by laudami
Hi Sorry what is I.O.M???
We are ready to book our flights and also need the excess baggage. We were told that the only airline that will let you do a stopover is with Cathay? who are expensive.Singapore give you more excess automatically-need to show proof to agent, Emirates 40G each-show proof,Cathy 40kg but you must buy a special migrant fare-costs more than regular econmoy ticket, Eithad baggage is 30kg approx normal allowance.
Nope, you can get a stopover with Singapore Airlines too, I was told by the agent they were the only airline to allow a stopover with double baggage allowance (40kg), but didn't ask about Cathay so maybe they do too! Singapore are very reasonable, don't need to buy a certain type of ticket just a normal one way ticket and the service is fantastic too so you won't go far wrong if you travel with them. Singapore also do great stopover deals with hotels at cheaper rates than if booked separately but you must book them at the same time as flights to get the deal, well worth it though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.