Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stop over in Singapore? any ideas?

Stop over in Singapore? any ideas?

Old Oct 8th 2003, 11:58 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Stop over in Singapore? any ideas?

Hi
Have booked my tickets for next year to OZ. I was thinking of having a stop off in Singapore. Would anyone recommend Singapore and if so is it cheap there for hotels and shopping?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:01 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,
We are going to Oz and stopping at Sing next week. There was a goodthread on here the other day with recommendations of what to do and where to stay.

Try this -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...apore+stopover
Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:07 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Hiya,
We are going to Oz and stopping at Sing next week. There was a goodthread on here the other day with recommendations of what to do and where to stay.

Try this -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...apore+stopover
Thanks will check it out, let us know how your stopoff goes.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:12 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Originally posted by nicholls clan
Thanks will check it out, let us know how your stopoff goes.
Read the thread 'Things to do on stop over Singapore', this should give you plenty of ideas.

Cheers Kev.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 3:22 am
dp
Just Joined

dp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stopover in singapore

Great place to stopover - very cheap (with pounds) and quite western (service levels, clenliness, language etc)
Go to the Zoo - its fantastic - and catch the train and bus out to it - cheap as chips and good to see how real singaporians live.

We booked hotel on www.hotelnet.com and got a room for about 30 quid a night with breakfast and 2 pools and walking to the main centre bit.

Humidity is a bit of a killer though

enjoy
Old Oct 9th 2003, 4:22 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Stop over in Singapore? any ideas?

Originally posted by nicholls clan
Hi
Have booked my tickets for next year to OZ. I was thinking of having a stop off in Singapore. Would anyone recommend Singapore and if so is it cheap there for hotels and shopping?
It's cheaper for hotels to book it in Britain with your travel agent. I know this as I lived in Sing for 5 years and used to bring people out for contract work.. hotels are expensive if you book them from inside.

Depends how long you've got for what to do:
if it's just a few days, do the touristy bit like the zoo.
Another suggestion is to go to the westin Stamford (tallest building in Sing, and used to be the tallest hotel in the world.. not sure if this record stands today) go and have high tea in the Compass rose it's on the top floor of the building - it is not to be missed! I used to take all my guests there. The view over Sing is terrific. The restaurant is surrounded by glass.

For off the beaten track - Pulau Ubin or St johns (not really recommended for the tourist.. there are no facilities. but these two islands were a fav with me.. just to get away from the crowds.

Shopping - stick to orchard road, .. is lucky plaza still there? (for tourist gifts) lol - get your haggling voice prepared for that place!.

also try the pasar malam (night market) at Bugis st.. for your usual stuff like copy tshirts, watches

Try Arab st for your batiks and unusul things (you should enjoy that)

Then there is of course Sentosa. but it's been mentioned time and time again.. that is the obvious one - you'll enjoy Sentosa

cheers
Old Oct 9th 2003, 4:46 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.1singaporehotelonline.com/

I used the thai branch and got the inter continental in Bangkok for 45 GBP a night. That was straight after sept 11 though.

Other ones to try are ebookers and www.octopustravel.com and www.lastminute.com. I used them for a hotel in Istanbul the other year. Lastminute now have an Aussie site but I have never found them to be cheap.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

We took Singapore Airlines up on there stopover package. One night and two days at the Allson Hotel was £18 each. It was on the next block to Raffles so we downed Singapore Slings there and we went on a nighttime safari organised trip by the hotel which was excellent. Fantastic place - wish we had stopped longer!!!
Old Oct 10th 2003, 1:18 pm
Home in 2010.

thanks for the advice. I am going to ring Singapore airlines and try and book a hotel fo a few nights. Booked direct with them as it meant i could change my flight as and when I want with no extra charge.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop over in Singapore? any ideas?

Hi - I lived in Sing. for 6 yrs-returned last yr. and would say ditto to all the above.
Also go to Holland village to shop (expats and locals go there) The compass rose was renovated at the top of westin standford and is called something else- go there on a clear day to enjoy the views. Boat quay and Clarke quay for restaurants &night life..(satay club is touristy but fun to do.)
The night safari is fun. its next to the zoo so you could go the zoo in the afternoon and the safari in the evening. re humidity yes drink lots of water:-)))
enjoy...
Helen

Hi
Have booked my tickets for next year to OZ. I was thinking of having a stop off in Singapore. Would anyone recommend Singapore and if so is it cheap there for hotels and shopping? [/QUOTE]