Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stop over in Sinapore/KL/wherever or get flight over and done with?

Stop over in Sinapore/KL/wherever or get flight over and done with?

Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:38 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Default Stop over in Sinapore/KL/wherever or get flight over and done with?

Hi, when you have flown to Australia do you just get the flight over and done with in one go or are people staying for a few days in Singapore/kl/dubai etc to break up the trip?

I think I would like to just get there and recover but with 2 small kids is this wise or do you recommend stopping off for a few days and break up the journey? All advice greatly received.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

BlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Stop over in Sinapore/KL/wherever or get flight over and done with?

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Hi, when you have flown to Australia do you just get the flight over and done with in one go or are people staying for a few days in Singapore/kl/dubai etc to break up the trip?

I think I would like to just get there and recover but with 2 small kids is this wise or do you recommend stopping off for a few days and break up the journey? All advice greatly received.
Hi

we recently travelled to Oz with our 4 & 2 yr old and would definitely advise on a stop over!
it enabled them to get used to the time difference before we went on to Perth. We stopped in Sing -plenty to do to keep the kids busy.

However, it depends on how long you have as it does eat up into your holiday, if you are emigrating permanently, then I'd say do a stop over.

Just our opinion

Blue toffee
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

We are stopping over for 1 night in the Transit Hotel at Singapore. It means that we will at least get nights decent(ish) sleep (I never sleep on the plane) and I am hoping that the way we have timed the flights will mean that our 15 months old twins won't get jetlagged too badly!

Debbie
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

We just did a return to OZ, didn't really find the flight a big deal though. We flew London to Bangkok (10 hours or so), then Bangkok to Sydney (via Brisbane, Qantas had a faulty plane and we had to change to another one in Brissie), another 10 hours or so.
On the way back we flew Cairns to Hong Kong (6 hours), then Hong Kong to London (13.5 hours), this was a bit of a killer.

I would recommend Hong Kong as a stopover, it is really nice and far cleaner than Bangkok and far more exiting than Singapore. On a recomendation from this site we stayed at the YMCA - Salisbury, excellent hotel for £60 a night with a harbour view, unbeatable

Have fun and don't worry about the flight times, a day or so later you will have forgot all about them
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'd recommend a stopover with young children in tow if time is not of the essence. Singapore and KL are both excellent for families, Bangkok as suggested is probably not, Hong Kong is fine but it means travelling further and narrowing your choice of airlines (mainly to Cathay Pacific).

I think another point to consider when choosing an airline is the time it arrives at the other end. e.g. Do you want to arrive tired and jetlagged in the morning and if you have friends and family meeting you feel obliged to not go to bed immediately? I've been thankful on Emirates flights arriving just after midnight in Melbourne to be able to hit the sack soon after arriving! Recently we arrived about 6.30 am on Malaysia and ended up not going to bed until that night - more than 48 hours after leaving the UK!!

OzTennis
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

The first time we only had an hour in the airport and then carried on with the journey..was a killer for us. On the way back we had a two night stopover in Singapore and it made the world of difference for us.

We are planning a stopover when we finally fly for good on the 14th March as might be nice to have a break before we get thrown headlong into reorganising our new life in Oz (and to chillout and recover from the trauma of saying goodbye to everyone!).

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrFlibbleUK
The first time we only had an hour in the airport and then carried on with the journey..was a killer for us. On the way back we had a two night stopover in Singapore and it made the world of difference for us.

We are planning a stopover when we finally fly for good on the 14th March as might be nice to have a break before we get thrown headlong into reorganising our new life in Oz (and to chillout and recover from the trauma of saying goodbye to everyone!).

Hope that helps.
Yep and also ask yourself how much would it cost to have a holiday in Asia once you are in Australia? I got a newsletter from Quest Travel last week and they had some incredible deals for stopovers. For example, Singapore was about £60 p.p for 2 nights in a hotel, transfers to and from the airport and a half day city tour all included. As far as I know you can book the stopover packages from them even if you haven't booked the flights but they are as good as most for the fares anyway.

OzTennis
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:47 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

done both on different occasions. Have to say its better breaking it up. It does me in when I do it in one go, though a tiger beer at Harry's bar at Changi airport with that lovely warm humidity makes me feel good. Then on with the bloody flight!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:02 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Stop over every time. Even if it's just a night's kip in an airport transit hotel, it makes an enormous difference. We always arrive in Australia ready to rock having stopped off in Hong Kong or Kuala Lumpa or wherever - my brother made the same trip out to see my parents but did it straight through and was so knackered and out-of-sorts that the first three days of the holiday were effectively a write-off.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

ken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the rough

Definately have a stop over we found the second flight was like a trip to spain after a nights sleep in K/L. I would also reccommend the Hilton in K/L it was superb only stayed 1 night but should have stayed longer. Check out my post from our recce trip.

Kenny

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...16#post3010816
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

Which ever way you look at it the flight is not nice and neither is jet lag. I prefer to get it over with in one go. Just treat Australia as flight to Asia with a bit stuck on the end.

I prefer not to break the journey. I would prefer to get to Aus and have it all over with than dragging the whole travelling and jet lag thing. Spending 1-2 days in Limbo in some Asian super city with hassles of taxis, airports seems a waste of time.

In fact, I can manage the jet lag better UK-Sydney direct than UK to Asia. The reason is when I go to Asia I suffer from the classic jet lag symptoms (up at 3am starring at the clock for hours), when I go to Aus I am so more exhausted I just sleep better.

The BA LHR 9.30 pm –Bangkok is good. Don’t eat airplane food/alcohol (take fruit and nuts scones and water). Get to airport early and take salad and chicken, no carbs. Taking a Nytol sleeping tablet about 10ish, you will sleep through the night pretty much (ear plugs and eye shades). Then stretch your legs for 1 hour, take a wash then Bangkok to Sydney is some final stage. You will be awake for this so watch a bit if TV you missed on lhr-bangers. When you arrive, light breakfast, go to your hotel (book for the night you are travelling so you don’t have to wait until 3 in afternoon to check in) and sleep for 4-5 hours eat. Get up, take a lunch and do light exercise-get some sun and walk along the beach. Stay up to 9pm. This might be tough, but stick with it. 9pm is must for bed and 1 nytol sleeping tablet. Get up at 6.30-7. 00 next morning. Don’t sleep in the day whatever you do. Try eating light meals as you normal times. Avoid alcohol. Get sunlight. 9 pm back to bed, 1 nytol and up and 7.00 ish. Probably next day jet lag gone.

Go to Singapore, Tokyo, Honkers and see them properly.

(I though I would share my anti-jet lag routine as well. I have perfected this for last couple of years London-Tokyo once every 2 months travel with work. If you are really focused swim day you leave and days you arrive, helps muscles on cramped flight for long period).
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:14 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueToffee
we recently travelled to Oz with our 4 & 2 yr old and would definitely advise on a stop over!
Just a quickie question - we have a 2 year old and were thinking of stopping off at Singapore - do the children need any jabs for a stop over?? Thanks!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi
(I though I would share my anti-jet lag routine as well. I have perfected this for last couple of years London-Tokyo once every 2 months travel with work. If you are really focused swim day you leave and days you arrive, helps muscles on cramped flight for long period).
Sounds good - but the OP said they had kids. Long-haul and sprogs can be an interesting mix and I'd *really* like to see your average four year old putting up with ear plugs and eye shades
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Just a quickie question - we have a 2 year old and were thinking of stopping off at Singapore - do the children need any jabs for a stop over?? Thanks!
No, not required
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Stopping over can become a nightmare if your bringing some mega luggage allowance as many immigrants do and juggling 2 small kids as well, especially if your going somewhere luggage security is an issue like the states. If your going to do it keep the baggage down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.