Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stop off or not to stop off...

Stop off or not to stop off...

Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:09 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stop off or not to stop off...

That is the question...

Not sure if we should stop off for a few days somewhere on the way when we emigrate.I reckon i'll just want to get to Aus and start to get settled,afterall its not a holiday we're going for.

Any opinions ?

lee
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:16 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop off or not to stop off...

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
That is the question...

Not sure if we should stop off for a few days somewhere on the way when we emigrate.I reckon i'll just want to get to Aus and start to get settled,afterall its not a holiday we're going for.

Any opinions ?

lee
I shant sto off but then I am travelling alone, I think it would be nice to do this as a family have a small holiday
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

vgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to all

We are now going over with job waiting on a 457 so no time for a holiday, but when we thought we would be going on a 136 I was also considering stopping off on the way and in the end decided that just wanted to get to Australia and get things moving, I don't think I would enjoy the holiday as much not knowing exactly what lay ahead and would rather just get there and get on with it.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:43 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

We are definitely stopping off for a couple of weeks.
I figure that the lead up to emigration is stressful as are the first few weeks of being in a new country and setting up. A holiday will be needed in between.
Also we will be going from a British winter to an Aussie one so I want some sun in between.
We are thinking of a week in L.A and a week in Hawaii
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:05 pm
Sth Coast, UK- soon Perth

inez&ade is an unknown quantity at this point

We're not stopping off - just an hour or two at Singapore - so that we get the double baggage allowance with Singapore Airlines.

Well that means we get 40kg each - that's a lotta shoes!!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Why not use the money you would have used on a stop off for a mini hol when you get to your destination in Oz.

See the sights, do the touristy bits, check out all the restaurants, maybe treat yourself to some new clothes more in keeping with the climate. That way you won't feel that you're running round like an idiot with a list of 'jobs' to do as soon as you land.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

I had thought about stopping off on the way for couple of weeks but know i will not rest until i get there! (did you know you can get to Oz on bus now - it takes 12 weeks but you seen loooooooooads of countries on the way!!!) I think i have now made up my mind to land in sydney to do the touristy thing and go visit my gorgeous agent (well he will be gorgeous if i got my visa ) then depending on the money situation may spend a week in melbourne too (im still not 100% sure that its not for me) before heading over to Bunbury where i am once again drawn
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by daunted
I had thought about stopping off on the way for couple of weeks but know i will not rest until i get there! (did you know you can get to Oz on bus now - it takes 12 weeks but you seen loooooooooads of countries on the way!!!) I think i have now made up my mind to land in sydney to do the touristy thing and go visit my gorgeous agent (well he will be gorgeous if i got my visa ) then depending on the money situation may spend a week in melbourne too (im still not 100% sure that its not for me) before heading over to Bunbury where i am once again drawn
Really wished we'd have stopped off in Singapore - looked fantastic.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:33 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick11
Really wished we'd have stopped off in Singapore - looked fantastic.
Flights are expensive from Australia. You can visit and do the touristy stuff in Oz once you have been here a few months. If it was me, I would have a stop over, and visit somewhere you are unlikely to go to once you are settled in Oz.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:40 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
That is the question...

Any opinions ?

lee
Hi Lee

I would definitely stop off. Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore or if you go the other way LA, Hawaii.....all good options. It depends on how much luggage and how much spare cash you have. We spent 3 days in Singapore and were glad we did as it got us over jetlag.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Stop-off for us every time. We've got a five year old son, which is the main reason we break the flight, but when else are you going to have a chance to see a bit of Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpar, Singapore or Los Angeles? Australia isn't going anywhere - it'll still be here after you've done a spot of sight-seeing en route ...
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:20 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
Flights are expensive from Australia. You can visit and do the touristy stuff in Oz once you have been here a few months. If it was me, I would have a stop over, and visit somewhere you are unlikely to go to once you are settled in Oz.
Totally agree with this.......once you get to Oz you realise how far away everywhere else is.....i arrived in Sep 2005 and haven't left yet....before coming to Oz I cant even think of a time since I was a kid when I wouldnt have left the UK at least once a year....even for a package holiday to Tenerife!

So if you have to opportunity to stop off somewhere 'exotic' on the way over I would take it.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:20 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inez&ade
We're not stopping off - just an hour or two at Singapore - so that we get the double baggage allowance with Singapore Airlines.

Well that means we get 40kg each - that's a lotta shoes!!
Singapore Airlines will allow you a stopover and the extra baggage allowance C x
Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:53 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just get here... you have the rest of your lives to travel once you are sorted out.

Do I need to put the kettle on yet ?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:07 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
I'd just get here... you have the rest of your lives to travel once you are sorted out.

Do I need to put the kettle on yet ?
hi cas

Just need to sell the house then we're off (easier said than done)
I really just want to get to Melb to be honest,i dont think i'd enjoy the mini holiday inbetween not knowing what i'm letting myself in for if you know what i mean

Hows you ??

Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.