Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

StKilda Melbourne?

StKilda Melbourne?

Old Mar 5th 2006, 7:28 am
Just Joined

paulouise is on a distinguished road
Question StKilda Melbourne?

All the advise i am getting is great. This site is so good i feel as if i am not the only person in thw world in a muddle, and now know i am not the only person who has ever been going through this!!
After advise received can anyone give me any info on StKilda - Brighton - Beaumaris areas or others similar.
What are they like?
Is the commute OK to the west side of city?
Can we afford to rent? we are looking for no more than $250 max a week to start?
Schooling? 16 & 7 years olds?
Things to do?
many thanks
Louise
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:46 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: StKilda Melbourne?

Hi Louise,
I'm in Elwood which is the next suburb from St Kilda and love it! St Kilda is staggering distance - nice walk on a Sunday and night life and restaurants, and the commute isn't too bad as I have to make that drive weekly. Going down the beach road to the freeway and laughing at all the traffic heading into the city over the West gate! Also got great links to public transport with tram and train network just down the road.
As to schools, can't answer that one and as to rent, if you look around on all the sites, you should be able to find something nice that's big enough in a surrounding area. Haven't been checking rents for a while but could try Elsternwick, East Brighton, West St Kilda. Would suggest logging on to domain.com.au and clicking on St Kilda and surrounding suburbs to see what's available.

Originally Posted by paulouise
All the advise i am getting is great. This site is so good i feel as if i am not the only person in thw world in a muddle, and now know i am not the only person who has ever been going through this!!
After advise received can anyone give me any info on StKilda - Brighton - Beaumaris areas or others similar.
What are they like?
Can we afford to rent? we are looking for no more than $250 max a week to start?
Things to do?
many thanks
Louise
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Melbguy is on a distinguished road

What are they like?
Things to do?
many thanks
Louise
Hi again,
Looks like you have good taste. Brighton and Beaumaris are great suburbs and bl**dy expensive. $250 a week might get you a one or two bed flat!! Sane with St Kilda, nice suburb, very trendy, great bars and bistro's but was reputed to have a closet drug and hooker issue. In 2002 when we first toured we stayed in St Kilda and didn't any of this but you need to be aware. Also on the news today someone got stabbed. That doesnt mean its a bad place but lots of bars and restaurants. If you dont have one get yourself a copy of lonely planets guide to Victoria, its a great help. What will you require for 250 per week? PM me if its easier for you
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:43 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

What are they like?
Things to do?
many thanks
Louise
St Kilda is divided into two very distinct areas. The OK trendy side and the sleazy seedy smalltime crim side. make sure you know which part youa re settling into if you go there. Personally I'd think Prahran a better option and its not far from St Kilda
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:48 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwichild
St Kilda is divided into two very distinct areas. The OK trendy side and the sleazy seedy smalltime crim side. make sure you know which part youa re settling into if you go there. Personally I'd think Prahran a better option and its not far from St Kilda
As is Elsternwick, where we are and love

St Kilda is great to visit...but over-priced re: living
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:58 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
As is Elsternwick, where we are and love

St Kilda is great to visit...but over-priced re: living
It's not overpriced at all, just priced accordingly.

It has the beach fantastic cafe culture, night life and good access to the city all from $250 a week.

As for the prostitution and drugs it's hardly in the closet, all adds to St.Kilda's rich tapestry if you ask me.

I have two small children and would live there in a shot if I could afford it.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
It's not overpriced at all, just priced accordingly.

It has the beach fantastic cafe culture, night life and good access to the city all from $250 a week.

As for the prostitution and drugs it's hardly in the closet, all adds to St.Kilda's rich tapestry if you ask me.

I have two small children and would live there in a shot if I could afford it.
I was thinking of some of the apartments we looked at...don't get much for your money compared to Elwood and Elsternwick..which as you know is only a stones throw away and very nice
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:08 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I was thinking of some of the apartments we looked at...don't get much for your money compared to Elwood and Elsternwick..which as you know is only a stones throw away and very nice
I agree that in Elwood and Elstenwick ypur dollar will go further and they are indeed both lovely areas, but I wouldn't say that makes St.Kilda over priced.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
I agree that in Elwood and Elstenwick ypur dollar will go further and they are indeed both lovely areas, but I wouldn't say that makes St.Kilda over priced.
ok...fair enough..not going to argue mate
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I love Melbourne but St Kilda is the most overrated part of Australia in my opinion, frankly I can't stand it one bit! It just seems to fall short, and I'm not sure why - it seems so wannabe (sorry!!) It reminds me the most of a British beach.

lol
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:51 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
ISt Kilda just seems so wannabe (sorry!!) It reminds me the most of a British beach.
lol
Agreed but a British beach probably has less crims, drug dealers,hookers and wannabes LOL
The trendy side of St Kilda is a bit better. Fitzroy st is kinda like a pick n mix of cheap candy: entertaining but probably rot ya teeth qucker than good quality chocolate

That said: Archies does the best kebabs I have ever eaten in OZ
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

I've only visited St Kilda but i saw loads of needles on the floor in the shop doorways where the druggys had been shooting up, kinda put me off the area, shame coz it's quite a cool area with all the cafe's and stuff.

May have changed now this was about 4 years ago.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

paulouise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sass73
Hi Louise,
I'm in Elwood which is the next suburb from St Kilda and love it! St Kilda is staggering distance - nice walk on a Sunday and night life and restaurants, and the commute isn't too bad as I have to make that drive weekly. Going down the beach road to the freeway and laughing at all the traffic heading into the city over the West gate! Also got great links to public transport with tram and train network just down the road.
As to schools, can't answer that one and as to rent, if you look around on all the sites, you should be able to find something nice that's big enough in a surrounding area. Haven't been checking rents for a while but could try Elsternwick, East Brighton, West St Kilda. Would suggest logging on to domain.com.au and clicking on St Kilda and surrounding suburbs to see what's available.
Many thanks for your help
Louise
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:51 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

I love Melbourne but St Kilda is the most overrated part of Australia in my opinion, frankly I can't stand it one bit! It just seems to fall short, and I'm not sure why - it seems so wannabe (sorry!!) It reminds me the most of a British beach.

lol
Agree ... it didn't fry my onions for me
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:45 am

lol
I couldn't disagree more, I thought you'd like it due to the large gay community

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.