Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Still Haven't got a job!!??

Still Haven't got a job!!??

Old May 29th 2003, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by itsasecret
Im no expert, but i could aslo recommend removing the reference that you have just moved from the Uk. For example if we had a CV from an Australian with a cover letter saying ive just moved over here(UK), it may highlight a few points :

1. The employer doesnt really know if your staying for good or have other ideas.

2. The employer thinks your a jet setter and move about a lot or even a backpacker type person.!!

3. The employer may think you will need lots of time off to sort out admin

4. The employer thinks your running away from a dodgy past??

4. The employer maybe ignorant and think that they have to sort out loads of emigration stuff on your behalf??

All of this is what "may" cross there mind even before they have looked at your career history etc.. and as a consiquence your CV gets put in FILE 13..

Good luck,, and I really want you to come back soon and say "I DID IT!!!" This forum needs some good news on job front, its all looking a bit grim at the moment everyone saying they cant find work etc.. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted.

Well who would want to end up working for you anyway if you have that discriminatory attitude. Let's just hope that you never need the help of a 'backpacker type person'.

I hope nobody listens to this rubbish. Be proud of who you are and don't try to hide anything. Why would anybody want to work for employers with such attitudes. If you don't get a job because you are a British citizen then it is the employer who has the problem - not you.

In Brisbane I have come across no discrimination against the British whatsoever. There are people of British origin everywhere and it is quite possible that the person who decides whether to employ you will also be of British origin. The only discrimination here is of the 'mates' type i.e. you stand a much better chance of getting a job if you are the mate of someone in the company. If you are outside the networking circles then you are going to find it very difficult. But it has nothing to do with being British.
Old May 30th 2003, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

While not wanting to get caught in the cross-fire, I would say that both scenarios exist (at least in Brisbane).

In the professional field, Nick you are right it's very much a case of getting to know the right people will help you to get the job. Once you have your foot in the door, you need to 'network' quickly and determine other horizontal opportunities (ie jobs that you find out from work colleagues - not from papers, the web, etc). The fact you are 'from' the UK is lesser factor than knowing the right people.

However, when my wife was initially looking for temporary office work just after we had arrived in 1999, and before our kids were born, she did experience some negative attititudes about being a recent British immigrant - and that was just from the agencies!

Perhaps 'itsasecret's message is coming across all wrong - surely it's a matter of emphising why *you* are best for the job you are applying for on the skills - in your covering letter and CV. Don't hide that you're from the UK - just don't make it a main point as it's a secondary detail.

AndyH.
Old May 30th 2003, 1:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I'd actually make it a "good" point that you've worked in Britain, or any other country for that matter, turn a so-called "negative" on it's head, make it a good point. It shows that you can work and handle different situations,problems and people. Be positive!

In the line of work that we are in, we actually prefer to have people who have worked all over the world, it shows that they are willing and open to new ideas, and can adapt in different circumstances.

Cheers

P.S. I totally agree with it's who you know in a lot of situations, most jobs that we have never get advertised.
Old May 30th 2003, 2:35 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Larger companies in the Anglo-Saxon world still give a hell of a lot of importance to someone with successful international experience. Maybe an inordinate amount of importance? - (good for us expat workers though!)

They pay you better.

They think you have learned loads in terms of ethnic diversity/ equality (genuinely treating people on their character and abilities), fitting in with another country's culture, language, ethos etc.

You've been a great representative abroad of the Anglo-Saxon company's strategies/ management/ ethos etc.

You've been to a tough place but done well.

They're right, too.

Cheers - Don
Old Jun 4th 2003, 12:43 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Just thought I'd let you know that I've got a part time job!!!!! Its only a few hours a week with a slight change of direction!! I am looking after 6 dressage horses!! My dream job has come at last and I've had to fly to the other side of the world to get it!!!!! Goodbye Sainsburys and Hello Horses!!!
Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

great news!! and well done..
Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:19 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by janeyray
Just thought I'd let you know that I've got a part time job!!!!! Its only a few hours a week with a slight change of direction!! I am looking after 6 dressage horses!! My dream job has come at last and I've had to fly to the other side of the world to get it!!!!! Goodbye Sainsburys and Hello Horses!!!
That's great news! Well done you.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you have found a job at last.

footie chick
Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Congrats on getting a job - must be a relief.

All the best
Old Jun 4th 2003, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

well done janey!
that also is a job of my dreams!
maybe you can help me get one too when i get to perth next year

cheers

ellen
Old Jun 4th 2003, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

I wrote to several companys in my Industry prior to getting our visa's, not asking for a job, but asking if I could visit them to talk about the industry over there and show them my portfolio. I went to see a company in north Melbourne , the Guy (studio manager) was great so too were all the other designers, I was due to be in for half-an -hour, four hours later i left!. Later they offered me job and should be OK wjhen we go over in January.

The point I'm making is, if you can go over to "validate" your visa, use this as an opportunity to "check out your industry", the companys then does not feel under any type of pressure to take you on and even benefit in my business form seeing different construction designs. If they geyt on with you, then like my example you may have an offer in the pipeline.

Hope this helps, good luck to all.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

nickielora is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going Melbourne "validate" my visa.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Larger companies in the Anglo-Saxon world still give a hell of a lot of importance to someone with successful international experience. Maybe an inordinate amount of importance? - (good for us expat workers though!)

They pay you better.

They think you have learned loads in terms of ethnic diversity/ equality (genuinely treating people on their character and abilities), fitting in with another country's culture, language, ethos etc.

You've been a great representative abroad of the Anglo-Saxon company's strategies/ management/ ethos etc.

You've been to a tough place but done well.

They're right, too.

Cheers - Don
Very naive. You will learn a lot when you move to Oz or NZ young man.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

sod off wilf!!
Old Jun 5th 2003, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

appletree is an unknown quantity at this point

Wilf is an unemployed, sad, bitter, old man

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.