Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Still Haven't got a job!!??

Still Haven't got a job!!??

Old May 26th 2003, 10:32 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Still Haven't got a job!!??

I arrived in Perth over 3 months ago now and still haven't got a job! I am looking for anything really as I have customer service experience, office experience (typing qualifications), have worked in retail and service stations, have managed Print companies in both Nottingham and London and was a supervisor in Sainsburys before I came here. I sit every day writing, e-mailing and faxing job vacancies and have applied for well over 50 positions!! to date I have had 1 interview and only 4 replies!!! honest. It seems to me that nobody is answering my letters, is this the way they do it here or is it just plain ingnorance!! Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me!! I know I have no formal qualification such as Lawyer, Electrician, Plumber or brain surgeon (I would have to take an exam or course if I was anyway!) but I never found it difficult in the Uk to get a job
Old May 26th 2003, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

mandandbri is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't Worry!!!

We have been in Perth 7 weeks and had started feeling a bit worried ourselves!! Being from the recruitment background I knew how it worked in the UK . Bit different here everything is sooo slow and it seems to be who you know not what you know!!

Best idea ( If you haven't done so ) Go through yellow pages and send Cv to all agencies dealing in office work. They like CV's here to be very indepth so as much info as possible. Then HOUND them!!!

Hays personel seems to be one of the most forthcoming !!

Hubby is in IT and got turned down for a job with Curtin Uni but they called him in for another yesterday so we will cross our fingers!!

Also depending where you live go to the shopping centres and offices around you with your cv even if they have nothing they may be able to tell you where to go !!

Hope this helps a bit !!

Amanda
Old May 26th 2003, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

wow sorry to hear this..it's very slow in the uk now too..

although there are still jobs advertised the marketis contracting and business in general is slowing down rapidly..

not a lot i can say really but you could always ask PB I'm sure he'll be only too glad to help..

cheers

richard
Old May 26th 2003, 10:51 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by mandandbri

Also depending where you live go to the shopping centres and offices around you with your cv even if they have nothing they may be able to tell you where to go !!

Hope this helps a bit !!

Amanda
Thanks, planning on going through the yellow pages tomorrow, if nothings happening in the next couple of weeks its of to Centrelink to see what they suggest!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 26th 2003, 10:56 am
home again, home again

Originally posted by mandandbri

They like CV's here to be very indepth so as much info as possible. Then HOUND them!!!

Amanda
Funny thing is, when we got here we were advised to take all reference of the UK out of the cv!!!!????? I did this but still got no replies so decided to go back to original layout of my cv. I was even born in Sydney but this still isn't helping
Old May 26th 2003, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

so it's not an anti brit thing then??

cheers

richard
Old May 26th 2003, 11:06 am
home again, home again

Originally posted by r.bartlett
so it's not an anti brit thing then??

cheers

richard
Not really sure, I've only met a New Zealander who says Aussies are anti Brit!! and a couple of Aussies who say they aren't anti?? your guess is as good as mine!!! Weren't they all British once upon a time?
Old May 26th 2003, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

As someone who has lived in Australia for 12 years I have seen this happen over and over with new migrants. We experienced a long period of unemployment when we arrived too.

I am now unemployed again and have been for 8 months. I have applied for over 400 jobs and had just 5 interviews, and very few replies.

Unfortunately the job market is so competitive here that unless you are :-

a) under 30
b) have recent (within last 12 months) Australian experience
c) got numerous qualifications
d) got Australian work references

the reality is that is will be very hard to get employment.

Generally you should put UK work history on your CV, but Aussie companies and agencies do not like lengthy CV's and will not read through pages of work history. One agency I am registered with in SA has over 40,000 people on it's books. I am told that you have to keep pestering the agencies otherwise your CV will just be overlooked. Most big companies and government departments recruit through agencies on short term contracts. There is a very transient work force because of this. The thing is that you must be persistant and not let it get you down. Someone, somewhere out there has the job for you and me and it's just a matter of time until we get one.
Old May 26th 2003, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived in Perth over 3 months ago now and still haven't got a job! I am looking for anything really as I have customer service experience, office experience (typing qualifications), have worked in retail and service stations, have managed Print companies in both Nottingham and London and was a supervisor in Sainsburys before I came here. I sit every day writing, e-mailing and faxing job vacancies and have applied for well over 50 positions!! to date I have had 1 interview and only 4 replies!!! honest.
Unfortunatly this is the reality, thanks for your honest post.
If you can hold in there JaneyRay it will all work out. As someone mentioned before its who you know and not what you know. Think somtimes you just have to be cheeky and just ask people if any jobs are going. Letters and faxes they can ignore (and do) You standing smiling in front of them may get a different reaction.

Worth a try. Good luck
Old May 26th 2003, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88
Unfortunatly this is the reality, thanks for your honest post.
If you can hold in there JaneyRay it will all work out. As someone mentioned before its who you know and not what you know. Think somtimes you just have to be cheeky and just ask people if any jobs are going. Letters and faxes they can ignore (and do) You standing smiling in front of them may get a different reaction.

Worth a try. Good luck
#Letters and faxes they can ignore (and do) You standing smiling in front of them may get a different reaction.#

This so true, good on ya ...
Old May 26th 2003, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Nicci is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi Janey

Hi Janey

The key for getting employment in Perth is to intially accept any type of employment. Contact Dial an Angel, and do some cleaning work for 3 months and then try again.

What people like to see, is that some-one else has taken the 'risk' with you first. They also like to see that you've kept your self busy while looking for the work your really interested in.

Im arriving with kids in tow in Mid July, and would like a mothers help in the afternoons. If nothing has happened, email me, and this could be a small starting point for you.

The main thing is to keep busy so you don't get depressed.

Nicci
Old May 26th 2003, 8:05 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still Haven't got a job!!??

Originally posted by janeyray
I arrived in Perth over 3 months ago now and still haven't got a job! I am looking for anything really as I have customer service experience, office experience (typing qualifications), have worked in retail and service stations, have managed Print companies in both Nottingham and London and was a supervisor in Sainsburys before I came here. I sit every day writing, e-mailing and faxing job vacancies and have applied for well over 50 positions!! to date I have had 1 interview and only 4 replies!!! honest. It seems to me that nobody is answering my letters, is this the way they do it here or is it just plain ingnorance!! Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me!! I know I have no formal qualification such as Lawyer, Electrician, Plumber or brain surgeon (I would have to take an exam or course if I was anyway!) but I never found it difficult in the Uk to get a job
In the removal industry,in sth aust what we do is employ agency staff [SELECT STAFF, DRAKE O/LOAD,ETC} this gives us a chance to have a look at some one and "sort the wheat from the chaff"this also works for our office staff,also...........MM
Old May 26th 2003, 9:09 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

If you know of someone that is looking for staff, go & offer them your skills for free for one week, they like sport & someone with spirit who believes in themselves, & let's face it it would save them a packet if they were to rely on an agency, Lazy B the lot of them, failed estate agents & wanabee migration cons.
Good luck to ya.
Old May 26th 2003, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DavidT
If you know of someone that is looking for staff, go & offer them your skills for free for one week...
I was thinking this the other day, reckon it's not a bad idea. Do you know anyone who's pulled it off?

Gra...
Old May 26th 2003, 11:36 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still Haven't got a job!!??

Originally posted by janeyray
I know I have no formal qualification such as Lawyer, Electrician, Plumber or brain surgeon (I would have to take an exam or course if I was anyway!) but I never found it difficult in the Uk to get a job

Perth is not a major Australian City and most good positions are given out on word of mouth .
Your chances of getting a job depend on who you know , try taking the Public service exam , the goverment is the biggest employer in WA , if you take this bull exam (try Centrelink) they will list you as employable and inform you of any jobs you may be able to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.